Tragedy in Alaska

It does make you stop and think how qucikly it could be over. This is the 1st I recall in Alaska. I can remember some Helicopters going down in Hawaii and bus tragedy in island so it is a reality. We did the Alsaka tour in June and took the Helicopter to the Glacier. Felt comfortable with the pilot but he was every bit of 20 something. With the number of filghts by Float plane and Helicopters the age group of pilots is young. Logic tells me the reason younger drivers on the highway get into more accidents is because of lack of learned experience. At the same time this will draw attention to one incident out of thousands of sucessful trips every day. But next time to Alaska we will do the trip to the Glacier and I will get in my car and risk the highway. In the plane I depend on one person on the highway there are plenty of people out there trying to cause an accident.

My simpathy to the family & friends. Nothing can take away the shock and sorrow they are feeling now.

Safety Record Earns Taquan Air Four Stars

Only carrier in Southeast Alaska to achieve four stars

June 01, 2006

Thursday

Ketchikan, Alaska - Taquan Air has received recognition for implementing safety standards that exceed Federal Aviation Administration regulatory requirements and was recently honored with the non-profit Medallion Foundation's safety culture award.

The industry driven Medallion program is a step-by-step approach to aviation practices that includes process guidelines and specific training and courses for participating airlines. "The Medallion program confirms the company's commitment to safety, the credibility of our employees and especially the trust of our customers," said Brien Salazar, president and CEO of Taquan.

060106_taquan.jpg

Taqaun Air's float plane dock and one of its seven DeHavilland Beavers. In the background is the Alaska Marine Highway System's ferry Matanuska and Pennock Island.

Photo By Naona "Peaches" Wallin ©2006

Forty seven air carriers in Alaska are working towards earning the five stars required to qualify for a Medallion Shield. Alaska Airlines, Era Aviation and PenAir have each reached the five star level. Taquan Air is the only carrier in Southeast Alaska to have achieved four stars. "I attribute advances in the Medallion program to our dedicated employees," stated Salazar. The carrier has also installed Capstone avionics in its fleet of Beaver floatplanes, providing electronic terrain mapping and instant weather information for pilots.

In discussing the four year old Medallion program, U.S. Senator Ted Stevens said, "If the airline is not in the Medallion program, don't get on their aircraft."

Federal Aviation Administration chief Marion Blakey stated, "This is truly something that saves lives. What you are doing here is pioneering work. Alaska is working very hard to raise the safety bar." Blakey also said that she would like to see the Medallion program expanded to the Lower 48. "You are at the forefront of a number of technologies that are not being employed elsewhere," she said.

FAA Alaska Region systems safety analysis manager Angela Elgee, said there are two economic motivators for Alaska carriers to pursue Medallion certification, lower insurance rates and the ability to advertise that operations are at a higher level of safety than required.

Taquan Air is now working to earn the fifth star needed to achieve Medallion Shield status. This will involve interviews of all 38 Taquan Air employees, according to Salazar.

Ketchikan-based Taquan Air provides Misty Fiords flightseeing, bear viewing, charter, and scheduled services to Prince of Wales, Metlakatla, and Hyder.

This is truly terrible - my heart goes out to the families.

It made me remember when we were in Alaska in 2001 - Taquan Air is the operator we flew with in Misty Fiords (on a de Havilland Beaver). The pilot was trying to hold a turn long enough for me to take a picture and in the middle of the turn, as we lost some airspeed, the engine stalled. The pilot got it restarted within seconds, but that was some of the longest few seconds . . .

Wanted to send along my heartfelt sympathy and prayers for the families involved. I too will be interested in knowing how this happened.

We are scheduled for a floatplane trip in September over the Misty Fjiords with Island Wings in the same type of plane.

Wanted to send along my heartfelt sympathy and prayers for the families involved. I too will be interested in knowing how this happened.

We are scheduled for a floatplane trip in September over the Misty Fjiords with Island Wings in the same type of plane.

What is your safety record?

Michelle has been flying 25 years and has accumulated over 9,000 hours safe flying time. She is the only pilot at Island Wings and flies here in Ketchikan year round. We do not hire "seasonal pilots" as many companies do. In addition we are flying aircraft that we own personally. As a result our planes are maintained above the normal Federal Aviation Administration standards.

I always look at the safety record when doing something of this nature. I'm sure you have already read this before making your decision to book.

That is terrible!

Hey Kelly, we're practically neighbors! I saw it on WJAC too.

When I was a kid they had a drawing of a TV tower on top of a mountain, with the tag line, "Serving millions from atop the Alleghenies". That was a LONG time ago.

hasw it as Dawn Princess not Sun. So disturbing as we flew them & they were excellent & have the best safety record. But accidents happen, just too bad he could get it in the water to float. Curious if fog, clouds, whatever makes a mountain disappear.

Haleakala on Maui was a great drive until the weird stuff happens, SNOW at 10,023 feet, icy roads going round & round, clouds that take over so you can't see where you are going, etc.

Our prayers go to the families........

One couple was from Massachusetts, a firefighter who retired in 2002. Worcester firefighter Paul J. McManus, 60, and his wife Marianne M. McManus, 56, of Leicester, MA. Marianne McManus’s sister, Jeanne J. Eddy, and her husband William F. Eddy, both 59, were also killed. The Eddys had a residence in Baltimore, MD, and also lived in Jacksonville, FL. Pilot Joseph H. Campbell, 56, of Ketchikan also was killed :( He survived a terrible tragedy that killed 6 Worceter firefighters in 1999.

Here is a local story and photos of the firefighter http://www.telegram.com/article/20070725/ALERT01/70725002

Very sad. I did a Misty Fyords float plane excursiion last summer while on the Serenade.

Does anyone know which company RCCL uses? From my pictures, it looked like the company had the initials PA. The plane that went down was Tarquan.

My SIL, my nephews, her brother and niece were on the same plane last week .. different pilot though while on the NCL Alaskan cruise she says.

They are thankful it wasn't their time with the young kids being with them... but feel very bad for the tourists and pilot.

Laura

Archived