2 Hours dinner service in Chops/Portofino's??

Yes, it does take around 2 hours in Chops and Portofino. That is because it is made to order, and is a 5 course meal. That is the amount of time it should take in an upscale restaurant with that many courses. It is meant to relax and enjoy your meal and conversation and a nice bottle of wine (as nice as you can on RCI) or a few drinks. Enjoy it. They are both great.

That is what we were told by RCI... to set aside

does it really take that much time and why?

We are also wondering if the Chop's/Portofino's menus stay the same the entire cruise?

C.O.W.: (;)) While what everyone has already posted is absolutely true, in my opinion, it is also true that if you TELL them that you would prefer not to linger, they are quite capable of streamlining things for you. :)

And YES, the menu stays the same.

The reason you go is to take the time to enjoy the entire experience. If you are in a hurry go to the windjammer, RCI version of fast food, and save the $20. Upscale dining is not just about the food. If 2 hours is too long Do Not visit an upscale restaurant in Paris they will be offended if you take less then 3 hrs.

Always taken us about 2 hours.........but Merion Mom is right..........they can streamline it if you want or have a need..........we were cleared out once in about an hour and 45 minutes.

My DH is a speed eater, while I linger. We've normally taken at least 1:45 for dinner at Chops, but it's usually longer. The servers pace everything well, so it's not like you're sitting around for 20 minutes between courses.

There is an old line I recall from the menu at a fine restaurant,

"Remember, good food takes time to prepare."

That's very appropriate for Chops & Portofinos. If you get antsy and can't sit for awhile and enjoy a meal, you may prefer to eat elsewhere. This is also one reason why they don't generally allow small children in these restaurants.

2 hours in Portofino's vs 1.5 hours in the main dining room. Not too much time difference for a great dining experience. We have always found that the time passes very quickly when enjoying ocnversation with our table mates and the wait staff in the specialty restaurants.

Hypo

Portofinos is WELL worth the time if you enjoy fine food and fine dining.

Yes, they can streamline and make it shorter if you're rushed to do something on board (??) but the experience is a package of ambiance and food. It is not to be missed if you enjoy fine dining!! You're dining, not merely eating or chowing down your meal. lmao

Go at sunset and really make it special.

Yes in many European countries it is an absolute insult if you rush your dinner!! (ettiquette and respect)

C.O.W.: (;)) While what everyone has already posted is absolutely true, in my opinion, it is also true that if you TELL them that you would prefer not to linger, they are quite capable of streamlining things for you. :)

Merion Mom is right as always. I'm not really into the 2 hours dinner, so we always ask them to forgo the formalities and move things along, and they are always happy to do so.

Archived