Checking stocks during cruise

luvcruisn'

Thank goodness we didn't check our stocks etc. this last week while on vacation.....it would have soured our mood I am afraid!!:eek: ;)

We are in to the market for the long-term, with an excellent advisor, and don't bother checking the values while cruising. :cool:

You can check your stocks daily on the internet and the ship puts out an abbreviated New York Times, that has a financial section.

Frankly I like to enjoy my cruise and not look at the market. I always have a good time on a cruise so why spoil it watching a down market. This last week would have been especially bad. I'm the old school of Buy and Hold, so market flucuations really don't matter.

I have never checked my stocks while cruising because I don't see any point. My stock trading is based on thorough research, with long-term appreciation as the goal. If the ship's newspaper has DJIA and NASDQ figures, I look at them. I never use the Internet onboard either.

If you are worried about missing something, you can always put in trade orders for stocks, specifying the price at which you want to sell or buy. But I don't do even that. Cruising is for relaxation.

CX: The header should have said: It never crossed my mind.

I do but would not rely upon it as shipboard internet is often fragile.

Barante has it right. If you are concerned about missing an opportunity, it's better to pre load buy/sell and your price before you leave.

Thank you all for your replies. I checked the prices a little bit on my last 12 night cruise, but didn't do any trading. My next cruise is 15 days, with a few days pre-cruise, so I might buy an internet package so I can check the stock prices. Our Toronto stock exchange can only be found on the internet, it doesn't appear on CNN or the US newspapers.

If you do want to check the market, but don't want to pay for it, you should be aware that on HAL ships access to the New York Times website is available at no charge without signing in. (as is access to the HAL website)

We are daily market watchers, but we do try to keep our minds off it on a cruise. We're not buying and selling on a regular basis ... our portfolio is pretty much set.

We're in it for the long term, too ... problem for us is we've reached the long term so the fluctuation of the market is key to whether we ever cruise again!!!:D

Celebrity has an interactive feature in the cabin ... you can input the symbols for your stocks/funds (or the key ones you want to watch) and check it everyday. It's a great feature, but I don't miss it on HAL.

For those 2 weeks or so, I'd rather live in a dream world. It will all be here when we get back.:)

Considering that the best way to lose money in the long run is to make snap buy/sell decisions primarily on price and changes in research recommendations - No.

Besides, looking at the financial markets/prices is too much like work!

;)

Although we have a wonderful investment firm that manages our investments, and we have almost reached the long term, I would stay away from checking while on vacation. A day like yesterday could ruin my vacation.

I don't even want to check from home today to see what disaster befell me yesterday.

Heather, I love the idea of telling my husband we can die a year or two earlier. What a simple solution.:eek:

or Bloomberg, CNBC or whatever news channel is on your ship's tv. You can get the Nasdaq and Dow updates and that could be a clue to what your stocks are doing. I didn't know about free access to NY Times on board. That's great as we will be on HAL for 24 days next year if I am still in the market after this week. Dumped half my portfolio for cd's cause I don't want any more big drops.

.........I don't even want to check from home today to see what disaster befell me yesterday.

Heather, I love the idea of telling my husband we can die a year or two earlier. What a simple solution.:eek:

Carol, don't even look. You're better off just leaving everything right where it is.

As far as just dying a year earlier ... that works a few times, but I don't want to be doing it too often!!!!! LOL:D :D

Ahoy!

The last thing I want to do while on vacation (cruising or otherwise) is to be looking at the daily fluctuations in the NYSE. I try not to look at the news channels also. A diversified portfolio, dollar cost averaging, etc. over the past 25 years or so has always worked for us.

To many other things to be concerned about while aboard a ship such as, should I attend today's movie? what is the libation of the day? should I take a steam bath today? what bathing suit should I wear around the Lido? You know, truely important stuff like that.

Besides which, as someone has already mentioned, YOUR ON VACATION!

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Carol, don't even look. You're better off just leaving everything right where it is.

As far as just dying a year earlier ... that works a few times, but I don't want to be doing it too often!!!!! LOL:D :D

LOL Heather. That would be a bummer!

Archived