I'm Back - Russian River Cruise on Tolstoy

2travelers

The best trip we ever took was to South America - the Galapagos Islands. If that was not enough, we combined it with a trip to Peru to see Macchu Picchu. We have traveled quite a bit in South America - Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago, and started there in a cruise to Antarctica. South America has some advantages - not much of a time change and easy access from Miami, which is our closest international airport. Also, the prices are not as crazy as they are in Europe these days, especially in Argentina.

The only really bad part was the commute to the ship in Moscow - we were there during the week and the one time we took the bus back to the ship, took 2 hours. It took close to that to get into town as well. (That is why we took the Metro back on two of the three days and that worked out fine). .

We ended up not having this problem. We only had one and a half days in Moscow (1.5 days verses your 2.5 days). The first day we arrived at 1 pm so we toured all day/evening. The second day we had lunch on a boat that cruised the river near the Kremlin so we didn't go back to ship for lunch that day. On the first night - the evening tours left right from the afternoon excursion.

It sounds like Amadeus wised up and did not commute back and forth too much by the time you had the cruise. I still can't understand why they cut a day from your Moscow time - was your trip a day shorter, or did you spend more time is St. Petersburg?

It sounds like Amadeus wised up and did not commute back and forth too much by the time you had the cruise. I still can't understand why they cut a day from your Moscow time - was your trip a day shorter, or did you spend more time is St. Petersburg?

I was super bummed about our lack of time in Moscow. I really wish that we had an extra day in Moscow as there was so much there to see - we had no optional excursions during the day, only at night.

Our trip was considered a 14 day trip which in reality was a 12 night trip. We had 3 full days in St. Petersburg - not sure how that compared to your trip. Out of the 3 days in St. Petersburg - 1.5 days of it was optional excursions.

We had plenty of bus time commuting back and fourth in St. Petersburg though - it was probably a 40 minute drive each way there. I wished I had wised up and stayed the first day downtown and not gone back to the ship but I wasn't thinking clearly due to jet lag (and also didn't know how long it would take). The next 2 days would have been difficult as we did Catherine's Palace one morning and Peterhof one morning.

I guess you had an extra day in St. Petersburg. We had two days there. As we had been to St. Petersburg before, I am happy we had the extra day in Moscow.

I had been to both previously - I just wish we had more time in Moscow. I would have skipped a port such as Kostroma to have more time in Moscow.

Hi: It seemed to me that whether you started the trip in Moscow or St. P the amount of time in port was the same. I don't recall any ship staying in Moscow more than two days. We did this trip because my husband wanted to see Moscow, so I did my homework. I think, as did the many passengers I asked, that port charges in Moscow must tbe pretty steep, so the ships don't stay for longer that necessary. We arrived in the early afternoon and didn't stop until we left the ship for the airport. The optional tours were on Saturday night (we went to the circus) - but we went straight to the circus from the last group tour. They had a late dinner (10:30pm) waitng for us when we got back. The next day we toured all day and were dropped off at Arbat Pedestrain Mall at 4pm for two hours. Those who had taken the optional tour of Moscow by Night, or who decided to just crash went back to the ship. Many folks stayed in the city and did their own thing then took a cab back to the ship later that evening. We had originally opted for Moscow at Night but cancelled at the last minute because we had to be up and off the ship by 4am. The folks who stayed in the city on their own had a wonderful time.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Your comment on the port charges in Moscow was interesting. Could that be one of the reasons for GCT to switch to motels in Moscow and St. P.? Travelers could get more city time and GCT ships would save on port charges and increase the number of times the ships would be going back and forth from Moscow to St. P.?

Evie - 12 days till we fly!

Hi Ronnie,

Your comment on the port charges in Moscow was interesting. Could that be one of the reasons for GCT to switch to motels in Moscow and St. P.? Travelers could get more city time and GCT ships would save on port charges and increase the number of times the ships would be going back and forth from Moscow to St. P.?

Evie - 12 days till we fly!

Hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg are also very pricey! Moscow is the most expensive city in the world right now and St. Petersburg is up there in the top 15. Most people who did a pre-cruise or post cruise trip spent $400 a night for hotels in both cities.

Other cruise lines spend more time in Moscow then Amadeus. I assumed I was going to get 2.5 days. If I had known I would have only 1.5 days, I would not have booked Amadeus as Moscow and St. Petersburg were my priorities on this trip.

As far as why GCT switchted to hotels - I am guessing it is for a better passenger experience as the traffic is very bad in both of these cities and one eats up a lot of time going back and fourth.

We stayed in Moscow on our own our first night and skipped the Circus and Folkshow and we were glad we did.

It appears on Amadeus, those going Moscow to St. Petersburg get more time in Moscow. I assume that means less time in St. Petersburg but am not sure.

Port charges may be part of it as the small ports would not have large port charges. Unfortunately, I would have paid more to be in Moscow more as Moscow offers so much more compared to the 3-4 hour stops in some of the small places we stopped at.

Theresa

Theresa,

Good point about skipping one of the towns to give more time in Moscow. From your pictures, it looks like you didn't have much time there. I'll remember to evaluate these "town" stops when we fill in our post trip forms for Amadeus. It does bring in revenue to these towns. I don't remember if there was a different Russian Waterway cruise with Amadeus of another company that was for a longer time and gave more days in the 2 cities. However, most people are probably limited to 2 week cruses due to vacation time.

This information will certainly will help me when considering future trips.

Evie

Theresa,

Good point about skipping one of the towns to give more time in Moscow. From your pictures, it looks like you didn't have much time there. I'll remember to evaluate these "town" stops when we fill in our post trip forms for Amadeus. It does bring in revenue to these towns. I don't remember if there was a different Russian Waterway cruise with Amadeus of another company that was for a longer time and gave more days in the 2 cities. However, most people are probably limited to 2 week cruses due to vacation time.

This information will certainly will help me when considering future trips.

Evie

This Viking tour has more time in Moscow but less towns than Amadeus:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/us/Cruises/CruiseOverview.aspx?cruiseId=1696&mode=itinerary

I did like the small towns but they are only a few hours stop at each and I did prefer Moscow and St. Petersburg to the small towns. Though, that was my original intention when going back was to see Moscow and St. Petersburg again. The others were "gravy".

I learned a lot on this trip and know what to look for in the future when taking a river cruise. I have no regrets, I just probably would have choosen differently if I knew everything that I know now... If that makes sense :)

9 days till cruise time. Had a family gathering over the weekend and I asked if anyone had something special they would like us to look for when shopping. My son asked if I could bring back a Russian military item. Now where am I going to find this (He might settle for a watch since people have mentioned these), but do any of you past cruisers remember seeing a shop that sold military items in Moscow or St. Petersburg?? Guess he isn't interested in nesting dolls or lacquer boxes. He's 34 and now lets his 4 yr. old son play with his GI Joe collection.

9 days till cruise time. Had a family gathering over the weekend and I asked if anyone had something special they would like us to look for when shopping. My son asked if I could bring back a Russian military item. Now where am I going to find this (.

Sparrow Hills (near Moscow State Univ) in Moscow was probably the best place. Though I am not sure if it was real or authentic. Old Arbat would also be a good place.

These were two stops on the Moscow tour.

Benita and Coral, Thank you so much. My son is currently on vacation and I actually looked on eBay. Did find some items and the seller was located in Moscow!! Glad to know we won't have to do a lot of hunting to find some military items for him. Thanks, thanks, thanks!:)

Evie

Ronnie, I just phoned Amadeus about tips on the Tolstoy using credit card. The agent checked and said cash is preferred but we could use credit card. Coral just emailed me that she was told no credit card for tips and they had to go to ATM's. What information were you given since you just returned. Do they now allow credit card payment for the tips??

If not, I will certainly call Amadeus and let them know.

Thanks, Evie

Hi Evie: I just pulled out the sheet we were given at the end of our cruise with the Tipping Guidelines. The sheet tells the amounts that they suggest. The last paragraph states:

"Gratuities in Russia, as almost everywhere else in the world, are expected and accepted, and are essential to the earnings of the ship's personnel. Gratuities should be given in cash only, please - rubles, US dollars, or euros".

So, there you have it. We always separate our tipping money in advance and put it in the vault until the end of the trip. This year, when we took it out, we substitiuted our dollars with what was left of our Rubles in order to get rid of them. They give out envelopes and have a box on the registration desk for the envelopes to be put in. What they did say, but it did not hold true, was that the bar tab and hair dresser MUST be paid in rubles. We only had a bar tab for soft drinks. Optional tours can be put on a credit card. At the end of the cruise they have two people sitting at the bar area taking payment for the tours and the bar. We paid for our tours with a credit card and the bar tab (which was only for 2 cokes) with rubles. Waiting on line to pay, we saw everyone in front of us paying their bar tab with a credit card - so I know for certain they didn't hold you to that. Everyone we saw was putting the envelopes into the box at the front desk as was requested. Since they separate the bills, I guess there is no way to add the tipping on as they do on the large cruise ships where everything is on one bill. Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Ronnie, thanks. I'm going to call Amadeus and tell them that Tolstoy makes it essentially impossible to pay by Credit card.

How about the picture ID's for credit card use? Driver's licenses, I suppose.

Evie

We were never asked for a photo ID when using a credit card, but I suppose it might happen. I would carry around a driver's license. When I was pickpocketed in Barcelona, all I had in the wallet was one credit card and my drivers license. The license was easy to replace - just went to a internet cafe and goggled Florida Drivers License - followed the prompts and ordered another license that was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home. Much easier than trying to replace a passport - that stays locked in a safe.

We were told bar bills and shore excursions could be paid with Rubles or Credit Cards (no US dollars). BTW - the line to pay this can get long - don't put it off. Go when they first open up. This will probably be the day you are in Mandorgi for you guys.

Tips could be paid in rubles, euros or dollars. No credit cards.

Benita and Coral, Thanks. I think I have it all set in my mind. We will take drivers licenses (could get stuck in Frankfurt, or LAX and need to charge something), also I'll probably bring USD for the tips. I know everyone said no credit cards for the tips but I'm a bit dense lately, and especially since Amadeus twice gave me incorrect info.

5 days to go. You remember how excited you were?

Evie

Benita and Coral, Thanks. I think I have it all set in my mind. We will take drivers licenses (could get stuck in Frankfurt, or LAX and need to charge something), also I'll probably bring USD for the tips. I know everyone said no credit cards for the tips but I'm a bit dense lately, and especially since Amadeus twice gave me incorrect info.

5 days to go. You remember how excited you were?

Evie

The family I hung out with ran out of money (Cash) in Moscow. I was at dinner the last night with them when Marina (CD) stopped by. He had said how he couldn't find the ATM that Marina thought was near the pier and he said "If I can't find an ATM that night, I can't tip". She then proceeded to say there was another ATM about 15 minutes walk away. We did the Moscow night tour that night and there was an ATM in the one building that we went to so it all worked out. Though there was no exceptions as far as using a credit card for tips on our cruise.

Evie - you will have a blast! Russia is so beautiful! I see that it is 90 again in Moscow today. I can't wait to return to Russia again.

Archived