Flip Flops in the dining room

lmurf

Were they typical flip-flops (the rubberized cheap dollar store ones)? Or were they more of an nice dressy sandle? My wife loves her shoes, and I can see her being perfectly fine with a lot of her sandles in the dining room.

Now, if you're talking about the rainbow coloured cheap-o ones, then that's a different story perhaps.

Having been lucky enough to live in Hawaii, I am immune to flip-flops as a faux pas. You have two kinds of shoes in Hawaii - good slippahs (flip-flops) where the little toe separator is still connects and everyday slippahs (the ones that look like the dog got to them). You take both kinds off before you go into anyone's home. I don't think my kids had closed toes shoes until we moved back to the mainland.

My 17 year old daughter wore flip flops to the dining room on a casual night. They're from American Eagle, navy blue suede with beading. She wore them with an outfit from the same store and they were perfectly fine.

I would think the colorful 2/$5 flip flops we buy every summer at Old Navy would be a "no".

To be honest with you, I really don't care what people wear on their feet, as long as they wear something, and they're not dirty.

Ha, I think I've wandered into the dining room barefoot before. If I do wear shoes, they're almost always kicked off as soon as I sit down.

Tho you know pretty much the whole reason for mandatory shoe wearing is hookworm infestation - which is pretty much unheard of these days.

Ha, I think I've wandered into the dining room barefoot before. If I do wear shoes, they're almost always kicked off as soon as I sit down.

Tho you know pretty much the whole reason for mandatory shoe wearing is hookworm infestation - which is pretty much unheard of these days.

Nowadays, in public, high traffic areas including public dining rooms, there is also the problem of debris. Especially under a table which may or may not get vacuumed perfectly between each seating. Remember the dining rooms are used for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All sorts of things can get dropped or crushed and can hurt your bare feet. I've seen small glass items that get dropped and then stepped on or walked on and not swept up. You can get splinters, glass shard, pins, and assorted random items under those tables and in the carpet. I've seen teenagers who wear flip flips, kick them off and then step on something in the carpet. Personally, growing up in a Chinese household, we almost never wear shoes indoors and I love going barefoot, but in public places like the cruiseship dining rooms, you wouldn't get me moving around barefoot.

The people? The flip flops? Or the feet?? :eek:

Somewhere, I'm sure there is a nudist colony full of sparkling clean people... all decked out in uber fancy flip-flops. I've heard that they do "bare" charter cruises... so....there you go! ;)

I am 24 and I wore flip flops all the time in the dining room. They are the nice ones, kind of like these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/22435966/c/3.html

I think my generation wears flip flops for lots of different occasions. I love flip flops and don't see anything wrong with them.

Yeah but those are not what some would call flip-flops.They look like nice casual shoes.I guess us fifty somethings consider flip flops the cheap $1.99 shoes from the cheap beach stores-BT

Yeah but those are not what some would call flip-flops.They look like nice casual shoes.I guess us fifty somethings consider flip flops the cheap $1.99 shoes from the cheap beach stores-BT

Agreed....somewhat! I am 50-something (late 50-something), but my definition of "flip-flops" has changed over the years to be anything that is a thong-type sandal with few straps. And yes, I wear beaded or sequined ones for dressy occasions and squishy ones for most other occasions - mainly for comfort reasons. The other thing is that I do not "dress to impress" anymore. If DH thinks it's OK (and somtimes, even if he doesn't) then it is OK to wear...the "free spirit" in me just takes over.

Agreed....somewhat! I am 50-something (late 50-something), but my definition of "flip-flops" has changed over the years to be anything that is a thong-type sandal with few straps. And yes, I wear beaded or sequined ones for dressy occasions and squishy ones for most other occasions - mainly for comfort reasons. The other thing is that I do not "dress to impress" anymore. If DH thinks it's OK (and somtimes, even if he doesn't) then it is OK to wear...the "free spirit" in me just takes over.

my dw agreed with you on the definition of flip-flop.---BT

I think that, if people choose to wear flip flops or sandals, they definitely need to take care of their feet and display a nice pedicure. Ugly nasty feet in flip flops or sandals are gross. :D Some guys take good care of their feet and look rather sexy in flipflops; others look like they need to keep their shoes on. :)

Archived