Booking air

phillipy

When you book with the cruise line, you usually do not have to make the payment for the airline ticket until you make your final payment. When you purchase the ticket from the airline, you have to pay in full then. Also, the cruise line usually includes the transfers to and from the ship if they purchase you the ticket and you usually have to pay for transfers (or taxi), if you purchase the tickets on your own.

When you book with the cruise line, you usually do not have to make the payment for the airline ticket until you make your final payment. When you purchase the ticket from the airline, you have to pay in full then. Also, the cruise line usually includes the transfers to and from the ship if they purchase you the ticket and you usually have to pay for transfers (or taxi), if you purchase the tickets on your own.

I always book my own flights! Apart from having to arrange your transfers, IMHO there are no disadvantages. The advantages you have, are choosing the airline and flight times you want. Not what you are forced to have and you usually get a better deal.

Also, from the UK cruise companies usually use charter flights which are appalling!

When I want a no brainer vacation I book through the cruise line if I want to save money or pick flights I book air myself......I don't think there is a cut and dry rule, for each vacation I look at the options and certainly your home airport plays a roll in decisions.

I compare the air offered by the tour company and the air I can book myself. So far I have always booked my own air as it has been cheaper and the connections better.I don't like the tight connections that usually go along with accepting the air from the cruise company. I have never had a problem figuring out the transfers on my own.I also make my own pre and post hotel arrangements.I usually stay at different hotels but when I stay at the same hotels as offered by the tour company I have always been able to get the SAME room cheaper by booking it on my own!!:eek:

We are about to take our second river cruise and plan on purchasing the flights ourself. We did for the Russia River cruise and saved $200 per person over the cost of booking the flights through Amadeus. For the Tulip time cruise,we will book our own nonstop flights with Martinair, instead of paying several hundred dollars more for the "privilege" of changing planes in Frankfurt with Luftansa, which is what the cruise line offered.

Normally you don't have to pay the air in advance, but if the air fare goes up over what the cruiseline is charging you they will, or they should, notify your travel agent so that you have the opportunity to purchase the air at the original price, otherwise you may get stuck with a surcharge. Very occasionally the cruise line will get a better price on air than you can find yourself, but I don't think it is too common on small ship or river cruises.

All the pros and cons of cruise air vs. independent air are throughly revealed in a sticky at the top of the "Cruise Air" board under Cruise Discussion Topics. Everything you always wanted to know about cruise air but were afraid to ask are in a thread called "Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation."

When I want a no brainer vacation I book through the cruise line if I want to save money or pick flights I book air myself......

Same here!

Especially going to another country, we always use cruiseline air because of the transfers.

If we are cruising out of FLA or CHI we will book our own air.

Archived