Overweight luggage

Hi all. was wondering if anyone knew what the charge was for the airlines for overweight luggage. Flying Jet blue tomorrow and I have a large luggage bag and a medium luggage bag that I am checking. The medium bag s exactly 50lbs but the large bag would have to be half empty to be 50 lbs. Was wondering if anyone knew the rule.:(

Hi all. was wondering if anyone knew what the charge was for the airlines for overweight luggage. Flying Jet blue tomorrow and I have a large luggage bag and a medium luggage bag that I am checking. The medium bag s exactly 50lbs but the large bag would have to be half empty to be 50 lbs. Was wondering if anyone knew the rule.:(

If I were you I'd give Jet Blue a call, while the general rule is anything over 50 lbs. each airline has their own rule in some cases.

d

Be careful also about how many 'legs' of the trip you have. Airlines have also charged overage fees PER STOP. In other words, if they say $50 per bag for overage and you are not on a direct flight, it might be $100 if you have a stop, mid trip.

well thanks folks.... i tried to empty the bag a bit and take another bag but couldn't get the bag below 62 lbs without having to take 4 suitecases instead of 2 as the bag would be more than half empty. I checked the measurements and it is the right size. I just don't see how anyone can only put 50lbs in it. Might as well just use carry ons.

:mad:

Unfortunately some suitcases weigh alot without anything in them. :eek: My DH has a new upright pull and it weighs about 11 lbs. mine weighed 13.5 so I am leaving it at home this trip and taking an old Samsonite (bought in 1993) which weighs less than 10 lbs. It does not have built-in roller system but it does have four great wheels and is easy to handle. Not pretty but I don't care.

I suspect more luggage makers will be putting effort into using light weight materials.

Kathy:)

We are probably flying Delta for our next cruise, I just checked their site and up to 99lbs is $100! Yikes:eek:

We almost always fly Delta and the one time mine was overweight we were happily in first class--and it doesn't count. I will have to be verrrrry careful!

You know, when we went on our cruise in June, we had one bag that ended up 54 lbs (and it was a large bag and included our roll-up camp table for the balcony). It was only $25 for the overage, so on the way there, I just paid it. But on the way back we were more careful about packing. It's amazing how many large lighter weight things you can move into the larger bag. For example, our snorkel/beach bag was large and bulky but didn't weigh all that much. We moved the sweater that DW brought for the A/C in the Dining Room to the large bag. Once we have put the bulkier larger items in the large bag and then filled around them, we found that it came in under 50 lbs (it was about 46 lbs). One of our other bags had been 38 lbs and was now 44 lbs so we balanced better.

If you plan for it, you can find a way to balance your bags better (this doesn't help if both bags combined go over 100 lbs :) )

We almost always fly Delta and the one time mine was overweight we were happily in first class--and it doesn't count. I will have to be verrrrry careful!

We flew United in June for our Mariner cruise. We had one bag that on way down was 56 lbs and on the way home my DH had it up to 71 lbs! Luckily because of his frequent flyer status on United he can have 3 bags at 70 lbs each. They didn't charge him for the extra pound either but I was ready to pull out a few t-shirts we had got in the islands!:p

I have a little travel scale that I bought online at Magellans for this exact purpose. I don't leave home without it. In Europe many of the airlines are 20KG or 44 pounds and sometimes there you can only have one bag.

jc

Because of the weight limits a lot of airlines are allowing three bags now. I always keep a folder up bag in the front pocket of my large suitcase, just in case on the way home I go over for some reason.

Now I have never had to use it but several of my friends were thankful I had it with me lol

:rolleyes: Bought 2 26" bags by Ricardo that weigh empty 8lbs. 11 oz. each. They were great on our recent trip to Bavaria for 2 weeks and they were expandable so held plenty. They were durable through 3 flights. Replaced luggage I bought 2 years ago that weighed empty 13 lbs. for a 25". Amazing how much more one can pack for those meager 4lbs. when the limit is 44 lbs. Plus I can actually lift them when they are full. Bought a scale at Travelsmith.com just to be safe. No more repacking at airports.

We flew Delta in March and paid $25.00 for one overweight bag. It was 53 lbs and the other was only 45 but there's no way I 'm going to start repacking with a hundred people waiting to check in. I really don't think the airline should let people do it while others are waiting. It should be go fix it and get back in line......... Coming home, we had a late flight and opted to pay ($10,00?) to check the luggage at the pier and not see it again until we got home. We were told Delta would charge us for overweight luggage when we dropped it off but they never even checked it.

I agree. I always pack and then take half of it out, then I have just enough junk.

LOL...me too, but in addition I double the money!

Once we had overweight bags coming home from a cruise. Paid the charge.....the idot who typed in the charge didn't put the decimal in the right place so we were charged $5000 instead of $50. When I called the airline, they said no it was the banks mistake....when I called the bank it took them all of 3 minutes to have it corrected. :) So watch your CC statements!!

BTW ...we just bought a digital luggage scale...no more over weight luggage for us!!!

I would suggest checking jet blue's website for their guidelines, but can tell you that I flew NWA last March and had to pay an additional $50.00 for an overweight bag that was 89 pounds. (was bringing gifts to friends in the iftslands).

I "think" for the most part, it's a $50 fee for any luggage over the ailines maximum weight. Check with Jet Blue to ask what their max wieght is.

I think I would go through the luggage and start to eliminate, especially stuff that is for a "what if" situation. Get rid of the cups, duct tape, pens, paper, extra suitcases, as much electrical gadgets as you can do without, clocks, roll up tables (that was odd) and all the other paraphernalia that you can really do without for a week. Cut back on shoes, mix and match your clothes, plan to send a couple outfits out to be cleaned and wear them again, that would be a lot less $ than a $25 + over-weight charge each way.

You're going on a luxury vacation, not a camping trip, there are creature comforts right there for you.

Otherwise, you will need a third suitcase. You can check two suitcases per person, that may work for you. If you leave underweight, you will be able to buy a few souvenirs, otherwise you may have an even larger over-weight problem on the return trip.

However, if the OP is going to Alaska it's a whole different story. It has been the only time we've struggled to keep our suitcases under the limit.

Archived