Weekender P and O - Oceana

chyanmor

Any one got tips for doing brugee on their own? We have been before but will have parents with us and just want to do our own thing. Does Zeebrugge have a railway station?? Anyone any tips for taxi's etc.

TIA

Huw

Apparently it's quite easy to get to Bruges on your own. You take the shuttle bus from the ship to Blankeburge - it drops you off right outside the station. The trians run once an hour in each direction. The journey is about 15 mins and Bruges is the first stop. You go straight ahead after crossing the road outside the station and you will end up in the main part of town towards the main square. You can take a taxi from the station to the centre of town if you don't want to walk. If you look on the Bruges Tourist information site you can get them to send you a map of the centre of Bruges.

Hope this helps. We will be doing the same trip in October.

Annie:)

We did this trip in Dec 06 on Aurora and will be doing it again in a fortnights time on Aurora again, but this time on a 3nighter cruise with Amsterdam as well.

We are playing it safe again and taking the pando coach - Bruges at own pace.

Beware if you are there on a Sunday as the trains don't run as often as other days. I think i read that the taxi cost 50e each way

Sue

Beware if you are there on a Sunday as the trains don't run as often as other days.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Sorry to contradict but the last time I checked the TT's the trains on a Sunday were exactly the same ie every hour.

It is worth checking on the net. I think they run at 20 past the hour.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi Sue

Unless you are seriously counting the pennies I think the £29.00 excursion is great value, it is a very pleasant walk from the coach to the centre of Bruges though a pleasant park by a pretty lake, the guides are extremeley friendly and helpful (which will come as a bit of a surprise after getting off the ship)

The train option sounds like quite a faff unless you are keen to see Blankeburg. Especially if the weather is not too great it is much more civilised walking off the ship straight on to your awaiting coach, however you may get a greater sense of adventure making your own way there... only you can decide on that one.

Mark

It was no hassle at all doing it ourselves. The shuttle to Blankenburg ran regulalry. The train ran regularly and cost €3 each way.

we had a nice walk round Blankenburg and along the beach there too so that was another reason to make our own way

Hi Sue

Unless you are seriously counting the pennies I think the £29.00 excursion is great value, it is a very pleasant walk from the coach to the centre of Bruges though a pleasant park by a pretty lake, the guides are extremeley friendly and helpful (which will come as a bit of a surprise after getting off the ship)

The train option sounds like quite a faff unless you are keen to see Blankeburg. Especially if the weather is not too great it is much more civilised walking off the ship straight on to your awaiting coach, however you may get a greater sense of adventure making your own way there... only you can decide on that one.

Mark

Mark,

We have done Bruges on our own and I am happy to say there is no 'faff' factor at all.

Straight to the shuttle from the ship, leave coach at Blankenberg railway station, purchase tickets - short journey on train and short walking distance from railway station into Bruges (through the same pretty park).

As to counting the pennies, well if you think that it is worthwhile paying over 7 times more to travel on a coach (which presumably takes longer) then that's your decision.

If you have money to throw away then thats up to you but you can purchase a huge amount of Belgian chocolates for the money saved :D

Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

We have done Bruges on our own and I am happy to say there is no 'faff' factor at all.

Straight to the shuttle from the ship, leave coach at Blankenberg railway station, purchase tickets - short journey on train and short walking distance from railway station into Bruges (through the same pretty park). As to counting the pennies, well if you think that it is worthwhile paying over 7 times more to travel on a coach (which presumably takes longer) then that's your decision.

Well, to be fair, I can see *some* faff there: you've got to get your train tickets, you've got to work out where your train goes from, you've got to wait for the train, and then you've got to get on it & get off again later. None of it difficult, I agree, but it is a bit more faffy that just sitting on a coach and being taken, direct, all the way.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reason for doing your own thing and I generally try to do so myself, but I have also found that it always involves at least a little bit more hassle.

The other thing is that the DIY approach only works as long as only a small number of passengers decide to take it. What would happen if 500 independent-minded cruisers all descended on Blankenburg station at the same time?

i would be to stressed worrying ....what if'the train is delayed?? cancelled ?, full on the return to the ship ?...it would spoil my day out, thats why I like the pando coach, the ship waits for your coach , no hassle, some may like to spend hundreds of pounds boozing all cruise, i pay a bit extra and do the pando trips which are stress free, each to their own

Sue:D

I Agree with Libralass if your docked in walking distance of a port its great to do your own think and be independant but if travelling any distances is involved best to leave the responsiblilty with pando.

They will wait for a coach load of passengers but not one or two late returners, On every cruise I have taken on at least one occassion I have seen passengers dashing for the ship from late arriving taxis in fact in Livorno I say two passsengers miss a sail way what a nightmare

Not long now sue two weeks Sunday :-)

We are going on the 2 nighter in December and are thinking of doing Bruges on the train. How much does P and O charge for the shuttle to Blankeburg and does it run continually all day?

Thanks,

Julie

• 1 month later...

There is no charge for the shuttle to Blankeburg, the trains from there to brugge are every hour at the quarter past the hour. It takes around 6-10 minutes. If you were going there during the summer I would recommend walking up the high st in Blankeburg to the beach as it is quite old fashioned and very pretty. I did not manage to get in to Brugge this time however going on the qe2 in December for the christmas markets. I would suggest doing a boat trip around as it is very scenic and also saves your feet from the many cobbles.

P.S we just came back from there on Oceana this morning.

Huw:)

Archived