Best film speed / (brand?) for Alaska

TravlnMom

We’ll be traveling to Alaska in June on a CruiseTour with land portion first. We’ll be doing the Fairbanks / Denali / Anchorage route, then the Inside Passage from Seward to Vancouver, B.C.

All three of use still use film cameras, and would like to buy most of our film before we leave. Is there a film speed that is better for each section of the trip? Or, are there too many variables, such as the weather for each day, etc.?

I’d love to hear comments and suggestions. What has worked for you, and what did not turn out as you had hoped?

Thank you.

I have been twice to all the areas and used mostly 400 speed film. The only exception has been to use 800 speed when I went to Anan Creek for the bear watching. The reason there was there is a lot of tree coverage without much sunlight getting thru. If I were going to use 100 speed it would be on a bright, suuny day on a glacier.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

I agree with Larry. You will want faster film like 400 or 800 for wildlife excursions. You could use 100 speed for landscape pictures on brigher days, but you can't count on those in Alaska, so I would stock up on 400 speed. I prefer Fuji Superia, but Kodak Gold is good too.

Film technology is light-years ahead of what it was even ten years ago. Now it's safe to use high-quality (ie Kodak or Fuji) 400 ISO on a regular basis - but DON'T use cheap film brands for a trip like this, because the quality and long-life stability aren't consistent.

Murray

As you use film, and want to buy it prior to visiting Alaska, be sure to keep the film in your carry-on bag--not your checked baggage. I understand that the x-rays (or whatever) the airline security folks subject the checked bags to, can screw up film. I guess the x-ray machines you put your carry-on's thru are not as "potent". Have fun.

Definitely agree that 400 or 800 is best! I used Kodak 800 Max on my mediterranean trip and the pictures came out beautiful - even in the Vatican where flashes weren't allowed thanks to the hi-speed film! You can use the 100-200 for the outdoor stuff but it doesn't hurt to use the higher speeds! You also don't run the risk of having the wrong speed film in your camera at the wrong time!

I just bought my film for our trip to Alaska (May 29th) - Kodak 800 Max at Costco - $12 for 8 rolls!!! Can't beat it! Enjoy your trip!

NCL 11/96

Windjammer 6/98

Splendour of the Seas 8/02

Radiance of the Seas 5/04

Without knowing what type of cameras you have, ie, point and shoot with slow speed or 35slr, I would agree with most of the responders re 400 speed. I used 200 and 400, and my wife's p&S is all 400. I think 800 is overkill and while it may be okay for most pictures and light situations, it will still be grainier than 400 if you do any large prints, such as 8x10 or 11x16 of that special whale shot.

I take 200/400/800 and HAVE it ALL hand inspected through security. Absolutely buy it before you leave and take a range- I had a few rolls of pro Agfa as well as Kodak and Fuji. I have in the past used fuji mailers- can also get Kodak too. It's important to bracket glacier photos and take a range of photos.

Thank you for your responses.

We have an old (but good!) Canon TX with a variety of lenses. Primarily will use the 35-210 zoom with a UV filter. Other cameras are just point & shoots with various zooms. We are now thinking of using Kodak 400 HD film for all (plus some 200 for cloudy days).

What other filters should we take?

BQ, you mention using mailers. I would be concerned that the film would be damaged on the way to the developer – have you ever had a problem with this?

Any recommendation on quantities for a two-week trip? We will bracket the glacier shots, and others, I’m sure. Whenever I estimate, I keep coming up with about 45 rolls of film to last 3 people for 14 days. Yikes!

What about bringing an APS camera for the panoramic shots?

Thanks again.

In addition to the UV, a circular polarizer is suggested for the snow/ice on glaciers and on the water when whalewatching.

For wildlife pictures, I used a 75-300 mm Canon lens, otherwise used a 28-105 mm Canon lens.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

My vote is 400 speed becouse my photos were a mix of outdoor AND inside the ship which was often lowlight. Whatever film you bring, buy plenty becouse you will likely need it. Last year in Alaska, I took as in used) 14 roles of film. I was fortunate with the store brand or generic, and It saved me some money.

I agree with most of the other posts, I'll be bringing a few rolls of 100, then mostly 200 and 400 speed film. I considered bring 800 speed but have read that increased x-raying might cause the film to "ghost". With this type of trip, count on at least two x-ray scans at the airport and the scans when you re-board the ship. I prefer Fuji Superia also.

icon_cool.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gif

NH

I always use a lens hood. I mail film all the time- I still use a lot of 120. icon_smile.gif I use Pro Photo in Florida- http://www.prophotoco.com if you call they will send you boxes for mailing. This lab gives a big edge for excellent printing. As mentioned- I always have my film HAND INSPECTED and it NEVER goes through any xrays. Have it all out of boxes and canisters in a zip lock bag in your carry on.

Your uv filter,a polarizer and lens hood would all add to your photo success. A mico cloth for cameras or glasses as well as a small bulb air blower brush would come in handy. As BQ states, always ask for and even insist if you can that your film, both exposed and new be hand checked. A ziplock bag without boxes and cannisters will sometimes convince the checker to do it when she really wants to say no.

Any film at 800 or lower speed will not be harmed by a normal working hand carry scan, but affects are cumulative and they will do the same on the cruise ship.

I went on a cruise in Alaska last year. Our camera was a Canon EOS Rebel 2000. Our choice of film was the (at the time) new Kodak 400 HD film. In my opinion, it was the best choice we could have made.

We used the same film the entire trip. The film worked well whether I used the standard lens or the 75- 300 mm zoom lens. (For inside pictures we used a Sunpak hot-shoe flash that clipped onto the top of the camera).

Rain or shine, inside our out, I got so many terrific pictures that I had to get many of them enlarged so that I could put them up in my office. That being said, there are so many great picture opportunities in Alaska you are bound to get some excellent shots no matter what kind of film you use!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived