RCCL Versus Princess review

I also love AOS out of San Juan. Our July cruise was absolutely perfect and would go again in a minute.

I have sailed on the Caribbean Princess and just like RCCL there are many wonderful things about the ship. But it is not perfect. There is a bottleneck that occurs every evening around the photo display area. We had to take anytime dining because traditional had a waitlist of over 700 people. I much prefer traditional dining. One evening we had three people at our table for eight, another evening four people at our table for eight, one evening they sat two people at our table when everyone else was already on their second course. Didn't know whether to continue eating or stop!!

The theatre was too small, could not get a seat one evening and another barely got in.

I am only posting these comments because the original poster was definitely biased towards Princess. Both RCCL and Princess are fantastic cruise lines and I enjoy cruising both. It would be terrible for someone who has not sailed RCCL to avoid them based on this post.

i have heard way to many complaints from passengers,and its the adventure out of san juan, i will never sail this itinerary with this ship, sorry but i dont want to waste my money on something that is highly likely to be a yucky cruise,sorry charlie no can do :))));) :rolleyes:

For all those who wonder what the difference is between Princess and RCCL here is my review.

I posted this on Princess, but added some extra tidbits here.

Embarkment Day

Royal Caribbean just a handful of crew members welcoming you onboard. You are not allowed to bring any liquor onboard.

Princess has staff members on every deck level, including cabin decks waiting outside the elevators, directing you to your rooms. Cabin Stewards are near your cabin as you arrive. Introducing themselves. You are hounded to buy soda cards. You are allowed to bring wine onboard.

Ships

RCCL Large glitzy promenade with more detail located on one deck. Each deck is tastefully decorated and comfortable. Decks are detail decorated. Never felt crowded.

No laundry rooms. Lacked of public restrooms which were not easy to find.

Ship was worn, not well maintained. Family friendly. Offering more sports activities. Bingo $20 and has only one winner during game, lasting less than 15 minutes. Compass has small writing, difficult to read. Captain had a great sense of humor, making jokes throughout the sailing.

Princess ships have a more "classy" feel to it. Far more elegant.

You never got the feeling that any particular area of the ship was overcrowded.

On each deck there are laundry rooms with washers, dryers, and a row of ironing boards with irons. Public bathrooms are easily accessible near dining area and theatre.

Bingo offers more chances to win prizes. More activities during the day. Patter easier to read.

Cabin

RC if you want a bathrobe, you have to buy one, unless you book a suite or have higher member status. . Small drawers for storing clothes.

Bathroom shower was larger, with a tubular shower door and had racks to place shampoo, shaver, etc.Water temp. was easy to set. Light brown water coming out of sink. Toilet was well worn, difficulty flushing.

On balcony there’s a small side table with two uncomfortable chairs. Balcony doors were completely sound proof, as well as the cabin. Unable to hear announcements in cabin, had to stand in hallway to listen.

Cabin had a sofa and table. If you were sitting at desk, it made it difficult to pass.

Princess cabins offer you a free bathrobe. More space for storage. Plus, egg-crate foam mattress support, if needed. Shower has a curtain, no racks to place toiletries. Balconies are bigger, with comfortable chairs and table. No towel animals. Can request to have sitting chair removed, allowing more room to move about the cabin.

Mustering

RCCL you had to put your life vests on while going to your outside lifeboat station and wait for the cruise staff to do roll call. You are crammed into tight rows in the heat. Given a small lecture on safety measures.

Princess mustering drills are done in the lounges and the theatre. You don’t have to wear your life jacket until after they did the demonstration and gave you time to practice. The Princess mustering drill was also more informative. There was a recording that played over the PA system that told you exactly what you would have to do in the event of a real emergency.

Horizon Court vs. Windjammer

Royal Caribbean ’s Windjammer had nothing spectacular to offer. Basic food. They have an outstanding omelet station. Food was always cold. Pancakes hard. Wait staff comes and serves you juice and coffee immediately. You have to pay extra for fresh squeezed OJ. Buffet area closes early, making it difficult to get a small bite to eat or a drink.

Princess the Horizon Court was open 24 hours. Fresh squeeze orange juice. Food was always hot. Cooks will prepare eggs anyway you like them. Make your own sandwiches. More of a variety of food. You have to get your own coffee, tea, or juice, but service carts do come around offering you refills of coffee.

Dining

Princess offers Personal Choice you can reserve a table anytime you choose and with what waiter you want. Wait staff remembers what your likes and dislikes are. I would go Personal Choice over Traditional anytime. Food is more delicious, with unique presentation. Higher quality of food. Lobsters are larger and tastier and the King Crab Legs are perfectly prepared. Princess has more to offer on menus, plus the dessert menus have a larger variety to choose from. Several dining options are available. Free hamburgers and hot dogs and a pizza station near pool area. Jeans and shorts were never seen in dining area or public spaces. Everyone is elegantly dressed. The liquor on Princess is far cheaper than RCCL.

Royal Caribbean has friendly dining room service. We were able to have a table for two. It felt more like anytime dining than Traditional dining. Passengers were allowed to enter and leave dining room anytime. The servers sing to you three times during the seven day cruise. The menus are much to be desired. Offering less to choose from. The quality of food was basic. Nothing to write home about. On two nights only one salad was offered. The potions are smaller and less tasty. The dessert menu had nothing to rave about. Extremely small portions. Not enough dining choices throughout the ship. You have to pay for hamburgers. Pizza is offered in a small out of place area. Saw more passengers wearing jeans in dining room and public areas. Extremely casual ship.

Entertainment

Royal Caribbean the entertainment factor was geared towards the Puerto Rican cruisers. (As told by the cruise director). Only one show during the night, with only a singer, band, or guitarist here or there. RC entertainers sing off key. Tickets are necessary for the one-of-a-kind ice-skating show, which you should not miss.

Princess has first class entertainers. Singing and dancing, comedians, jugglers, magicians. Bands playing throughout the ship. Several shows to choice from during the night. Large lounges. The Princess production shows are more elaborate and better done.

Pools

RC pools are salt water. Which wasn't bad at all. AOS had two small pools in one area and an adult only in another area. Less wait staff. Watched Pax’s (so called chair hogs) fighting over one lounge chair while vacant ones where right next to each other. Loungers are uncomfortable.

Princess pools are larger and have fresh water. More pools to choice from. Large amount of wait staff hounding you for drink orders.

Disembarkation

RCCL they call by color then you have get on this long line that you have to wait in. It probably took close to 35 minutes to disembark in the heat. Finding your luggage was extremely difficult.

Princess is easier and faster. When your color\number is called you walked right off the boat, we didn’t have to wait in any lines. Princess tells you when to leave your luggage outside your door.

Based on our experience, we are sticking with Princess. Unless RCCL has a great offer.

I just got back from the Regal Princess and will never do a Princess cruise unless it a great deal. Booked b/b on FOS for next year. This is why we all have a choce on what line we want to travel on!

i have heard way to many complaints from passengers,and its the adventure out of san juan, i will never sail this itinerary with this ship, sorry but i dont want to waste my money on something that is highly likely to be a yucky cruise,sorry charlie no can do :))));) :rolleyes:

We have sailed this ship twice (both itineraries) and have not experienced any of the incidents that have been described here. Our cruise in July, I even asked a bartender if there were any PR's on board??? In addition, the children were practically invisible that week. But don't sail AOS, that will leave plenty of room for me!!

I was well aware of the dial...Turning it on did not help the matter. If I did turn it on it only played music.

I did not mention anything in my review about mattress pads. Mattress pad was not necessary. The bed was very comfortable.

As for the balcony, I found Princess's a little bit bigger. Every one I booked was totally private. Never have I had a issue of others invading my privacy.

Speaking about nickel & diming, on RC you have pay for freshly squeezed OJ. Princess you don't.

Must have been something wrong with the dial in your stateroom then.

You did mention "Plus, egg-crate foam mattress support, if needed" for Princess, implying that this was a difference, but you can get the same, if needed on RCI.

Oh, and I've never been charged for OJ on RCI, but it's generally only readily available at breakfast time (but that's the only time I'm looking for it). You can get juices from the bar areas anytime for a charge or with the soda card.

So...... is it safe to assume that you will let the opinions of a few others influence the decisions you make? I'm sorry, but THAT is yucky!

Happy sailing.

Sorry your experience aboard AOS was not completely enjoyable. We had a wonderful experience on Monarch of the Seas with none of the problems you cited. In fact, we found the accomodations, entertainment, food and service to be excellent in every way.

Thanks for the heads up. We're planning on a Caribbean cruise for 2009 and will avoid AOS.

I've never sailed on Princess, so I can't really comment on the comparison, although it did seem to read in a bit of a biased tone. I know some of the characterizations of RCI were off-base, so either the OP was already biased and just looking for things wrong with RCI or sailed on a substandard ship/sailing. I've only been on three RCI ships, but never found one to be worn and poorly maintained, never had a problem with accessibility of public restrooms in the common areas, never had a problem with the food temperature, and never had several of the other problems mentioned.

I did take a look at a Crown Princess daily on cruisedailies, and I didn't see any big difference in the level of onboard activities vs. RCI. The drink prices, at least for the advertised specials were very similar, but perhaps even slightly higher than on RCI. All-in-all, though, it looked like there would not really be a huge difference between a Princess cruise and a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Well, I should have read all the other replies before posting my own. Some people have been happy with their AOS experience so I won't count the ship out. We're considering sailing out of San Juan just to experience someplace different, but will probably end up doing the Western Caribbean itinerary first and leave the Eastern Caribbean/San Juan/AOS for the next trip.

Thanks to everyone for posting your experiences.

Hamburgers are free in windjammer, and you only have to pay for them if you get them at Johnny Rockets.

You can also get mattress pads for your bed on RCI, although since all their beds have pads now with the new bedding, you would not need one.

I found a lot of incorrect information on your comparison. And lets not forget that the OP has only been on one RCCL cruise, and five Princess cruises. So it is hard to judge based on one cruise.

Hamburgers are free in Johnny Rockets also. There is a $3.95 cover charge but you can eat all the food you want. Beverages such as Milk Shakes are extra

I found the opposite on my last Princess cruies. No one available to show us where cabin is. Food was good first night and went south every night after. Crew did not smile with a good morning and far from being fun. Photographer told me there was a morale problem since purchased them.

Very interesting review. We are Diamond with RCI (soon to be Diamond Plus) and Platinum with Princess and have also managed to sample 9 other cruise lines. It can be difficult to compare lines so let me give this tale a different spin. We are fortunate to cruise about 70 days a year and have been on more than 50 different ships. Not only are their differences between the crusie lines, but there are differences between the ships within cruise lines, differences caused by time of the year (much different when schools are open or closed), differences based on itineraries and length of cruise (totally different atmosphere on 12 day and longer cruises), and the lines seem to be constantly changing their food. So, I could say that based upon our 5 cruises in the past 10 months (Celebrity, RCI, HA, and Princess) the HA Noordam blew away all the other competition. On previous HA cruises we were not that happy, so things do change. As to comparing Princess and RCI I could add a few things. RCI takes much better care of their frequent cruisers and the Concierge Lounges are a big plus for us on RCI (for Diamond members and the suites). The Caribe deck balcony cabins on the Princess Grand Class ships are the best balcony cabins at sea (some might argue this point). As to food and service, we think both lines are very comparable (good and bad on both lines) and again, HA blew away the competition. The first time I ordered a full breakfast on the Noordam I was shocked to find that my eggs arrived steaming hot. They used a special metal hot plate (under the china plate) and covered the dishes with heavy metal covers. I even tried ordering eggs over easy one day and they arrived perfect with nice runny yolks. Try getting this on either RCI or Princess and you will be disappointed. Another complaint we have about RCI is that they do not have laundramats on any of their ships. While this is not a big deal on short Caribbean cruises, it can be a big factor when we take longer trips (and cruises). Princess, HA, Azamara, etc etc all have nice laundry rooms. I also think Princess has much better drinks for the price and Princess wine prices (and wine list) is much better than on RCI. I do not know how RCI can charge $31 for a bottle of Robert Mondavi Woodridge when they pay about $2 for that bottle. We generally find that Princess wine prices are at least 20% cheaper than on RCI. As to entertainment, we find both lines comparable although on recent cruises Princess would win the prize.

Hank

Must have been something wrong with the dial in your stateroom then.

You did mention "Plus, egg-crate foam mattress support, if needed" for Princess, implying that this was a difference, but you can get the same, if needed on RCI.

Oh, and I've never been charged for OJ on RCI, but it's generally only readily available at breakfast time (but that's the only time I'm looking for it). You can get juices from the bar areas anytime for a charge or with the soda card.

The OP was talking about "fresh squeezed" orange juice, which RCCL does carry a charge for. You can get OJ at breakfast for free, but it will not be fresh squeezed.

With only 5, soon to be 6 RCI cruises, I am very happy with them. I have cruised with them since 2002, and their service, food, ships, entertainment, crew, ports, or anything else has been remarkable. It has been great, so great that they haven't tempted me to try another line. I am sure I will end up on another line very soon, but it won't be because of RCI, it will probably be cruising with friends who only cruise on Carnival, or probably a good deal on another line.

As for the OP, there were a few things I'd like to clear up. On Freedom, Liberty and Enchantment, they have freshwater pools. Freedom is starting a trial of anytime dining on Oct. 7, but I feel, Traditional is the way to go when cruising, its one of the reasons I haven't thought about any other lines. Debarkation has always been easy for me. Never a long wait. And, RCI does do mustering drills in some lounges and dining rooms, but mostly outside. I was in the dining room last year on the Mariner.

ckrobyn~ I have to agree with you. AOS is my all time favorite ship! :) I think the Voyager Class ships are, without a doubt, the best designed ships anywhere. But that's JMHO. I've never had a problem sailing from San Juan either (regarding all the locals :rolleyes: ) but, again, I happen to like the Latin culture. Again JMHO.

Sandytoes ~ Thank you for your report/comparison. I think it was fair. You may have gotten a few things wrong (that dial to hear the announcements for example, but I didn't know that either :eek: ), but I think you did a good job of describing your experience comparing the 2 lines.

If you look at my signature (and apparently some people do), you'll probably conclude that I'm heavy into Princess. Not completely true. I love RCCL and Princess. Both lines do most things very well. Princess may do some things better, but RCCL does other things better. Very comparable lines, again JMHO.

Thanks, Sandytoes, for your report.

Elf

Why do you say that "it's certainly not the ship I would judge the standard RCI offering by". True, the departure port may be San Juan - but how is the AOS cruise so vastly different than the other cruises offered by RCI? Just curious and hoping you can clarify.

Here's what we found different about the AoS from the other ships we've sailed (all Caribbean and out of Florida) on RCCL.

1. The Spanish speaking entertainment. There were at least as many, if not more, activities geared to Spanish guests. Many of our favorite things, like trivia, were held in Spanish much of the time. I don't speak Spanish, so this was not a benefit to me. This is different from the 'standard' RCI offering.

2. Fewer art auctions and spa specials. I was specifically told in both cases that this was due to a lack of interest on the part of the local PR guests in either of those. I understand there were fewer bingo games as well, but I don't play.

3. We found the staff to be less friendly and service to generally be poorer than on other ships. We were told it was because the staff received lower tips from the discounted local passengers. Obviously I can't confirm that to be true, but the service did seem to suffer.

I'm willing to allow that our sailing may have been a particularly bad one, but the overall experience was of hordes of unruly children (this was the week of Halloween - not during Summer) and a noticeable lack of quality in all the things that we love about RCI. Even compared with the shorter cruises we found AoS to be our least favorite. We loved the itinerary but not the ship itself.

If the only cruise *I* had been on from RCCL was AoS I would likely have stayed on Carnival. I don't think the AoS represents the best or even the standard that RCI offers. At least my cruise sure didn't. This is just my opinion, but that's what I think.

[quote name='FitzLA']The OP was talking about "fresh squeezed" orange juice, which RCCL does carry a charge for. You can get OJ at breakfast for free, but it will not be fresh squeezed.[/quote]

Ahh, so that was accurate. I guess I never thought to specifically request fresh squeezed OJ. All-in-all it seemed like a review that was biased toward Princess, but probably not as much bias as I've seen from some Royal Caribbean devotees. :D

[quote name='CrusinElf']ckrobyn~ I have to agree with you. AOS is my all time favorite ship! :) I think the Voyager Class ships are, without a doubt, the best designed ships anywhere. But that's JMHO. I've never had a problem sailing from San Juan either (regarding all the locals :rolleyes: ) but, again, I happen to like the Latin culture. Again JMHO.

Sandytoes ~ Thank you for your report/comparison. I think it was fair. You may have gotten a few things wrong (that dial to hear the announcements for example, but I didn't know that either :eek: ), but I think you did a good job of describing your experience comparing the 2 lines.

If you look at my signature (and apparently some people do), you'll probably conclude that I'm heavy into Princess. Not completely true. I love RCCL [B]and [/B]Princess. Both lines do most things very well. Princess may do some things better, but RCCL does other things better. Very comparable lines, again JMHO.

Thanks, Sandytoes, for your report.

Elf[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo] Thanks Elf....
I totally agree with you. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Princess and RC are very compatible.
That is why I wrote this thread, describing the differences.
It would have been worthless if I compared RC to say Silversea.

I am a positive, optimistic person and I want to make it clear that I had a fantastic cruise on the AOS.
This was our seventh cruise and we enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Sandytoes']Thank you hylasgirl.

I was only giving my opinion. Nothing wrong with that.
Some people can't handle a little negativity about their favorite cruise line. [COLOR=red]The so called Cheerleaders[/COLOR]....But that's all right. They are entitled to their own opinion as well....
No cruise ship is perfect, you can always find fault if you look hard enough.
There's always room for improvement.[/quote]

I got a good laugh off of that comment. There is currently no other board on Cruise Critic that has cheerleader issues like the Princess board. They win hands down and it's not hard to spot them over there.

As far as your cruise on the Adventure, no problem with your comments. You are correct in everyone has a right to express their opinion. Enjoy your next Princess cruise.

[quote name='FitzLA']The OP was talking about "fresh squeezed" orange juice, which RCCL does carry a charge for. You can get OJ at breakfast for free, but it will not be fresh squeezed.[/QUOTE]

Fitz, I don't even think you can call it OJ, at least what is served in the Windjammer - more like an orange drink ;) :D

###

Did you try the speciality dining? The best filet I've ever had was in Portofino's on the Jewel. Did you get a hot breakfast from room service or see the ice show? What did you think of the coffee? Did you like viewing your account on the interactive TV? These are the very few differences that we have noticed, except for the friendlier staff on RCI and less hawking of upsell items on RCI. What did you do in the ports? It seems with all the research you did before your cruise and all your experience you knew about Johnny Rockets and how to get a robe. Was the weather unbearably hot, seas smooth or rough? What did you do in the ports...was Aruba what you thought it would be?

The AOS is my favorite cruise to date (even beat Tahiti on Princess) and can't wait to go back in April and try the Serenade.

[quote name='TexasMom2']Did you try the speciality dining? The best filet I've ever had was in Portofino's on the Jewel. Did you get a hot breakfast from room service or see the ice show? What did you think of the coffee? Did you like viewing your account on the interactive TV? These are the very few differences that we have noticed, except for the friendlier staff on RCI and less hawking of upsell items on RCI. What did you do in the ports? It seems with all the research you did before your cruise and all your experience you knew about Johnny Rockets and how to get a robe. Was the weather unbearably hot, seas smooth or rough? What did you do in the ports...was Aruba what you thought it would be?

The AOS is my favorite cruise to date (even beat Tahiti on Princess) and can't wait to go back in April and try the Serenade.[/quote]

Oh-my where do I start? All these questions....:eek:
;)...:)
Do you truly want to know the anwsers or are they just hypothetical questions?

I will answer them being they are perfectly reasonable ones to ask.

Did you try the speciality dining?
[COLOR=Indigo]No. We have never tried the specialty dining since we a happy with the main dining menus.[/COLOR]

Did you get a hot breakfast from room service or see the ice show?
[COLOR=Indigo]DH prefers to have breakfast in the dining room.
Yes, we did see the Ice Show.
[/COLOR]
What did you think of the coffee?
[COLOR=Indigo]I personally do not like the coffee that is served on either cruise line.[/COLOR]

Did you like viewing your account on the interactive TV?
[COLOR=Indigo]Guest Relations told us that we could view our bill on the TV in the morning. We tried. But it stated it was unavailable. [/COLOR]

What did you do in the ports?
[COLOR=Indigo]Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, & St Thomas

[/COLOR] It seems with all the research you did before your cruise and all your experience you knew about Johnny Rockets and how to get a robe.
[COLOR=Indigo]Yes, I did some research, but not as much as I usually do.
I did learn that RC sells their classic waffle robe for $19.95 or the terry robe for $50.00. Were Princess provides them for free.
[/COLOR][SIZE=-1][COLOR=Indigo]Johnny Rockets charges a fee of $3.95 per dining guest, including gratuities.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Was the weather unbearably hot, seas smooth or rough?
[COLOR=Indigo]We hit a Tropical Depression. Parts of the ship were flying around. Loungers moving across the deck.
The captain held a steady course, with a smooth sailing. Hats off to the Captain. Excellent job.[/COLOR]

What did you do in the ports...was Aruba what you thought it would be?
[COLOR=Indigo]See that you already knew I went to Aruba....;)...:D
Aruba - Jolly Pirates - 3 snorkel stops, lunch, & swing....Highly recommend it. Not a drinking excursion at all.
Curacao - Playa PortoMari Beach - Rain during the morning than cleared up. Excellent snorkeling. Beautiful beach.
St Maarten - Went to the beautiful Orient Beach
St Thomas - Tried Sapphire Beach. Glad we did....Excellent beach. Excellent snorkeling. Highly recommend it.

[/COLOR]

First of all thank you for taking the time to post and for your replies. Having been on Princess several times and RCI just once, the Spledour in 2002 I find your comments interesting. I did not know about paying for OJ or not being able to get a bathrobe. However I will try to cruise the AOS as the ship and itinerary appeal to me and from what I have read I think it will be pretty good. One consideration we have is food. That is people in our party prefer Indian food and Princess has always gone out of their way to prepare this for us and I must say on the Star Princess last June the Indian food was fantastic. I have heard that RCI also will accomodate this request. In fact they go one step further than Princess in that they have an email address specifically to request Indian food before you embark. Personal preference is just that, personal. When one considers all the nicities that go into making a cruise line successful I think Princess and RCI both do a very good job. Its up to the individual to decide what style one prefers. In either case both lines are quite usccessful so they both must to doing many things the right way. JM2C.

[quote name='Sandytoes'][COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]For all those who wonder what the difference is between Princess and RCCL here is my review. [/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
[B][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]I posted this on Princess, but added some extra tidbits here.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Embarkment Day[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Royal Caribbean[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]just a handful of crew members welcoming you onboard. You are not allowed to bring any liquor onboard. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Princess[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]has staff members on every deck level, including cabin decks waiting outside the elevators, directing you to your rooms. Cabin Stewards are near your cabin as you arrive. Introducing themselves. You are hounded to buy soda cards. You are allowed to bring wine onboard.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Ships[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]RCCL[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Large glitzy promenade with more detail located on one deck. Each deck is tastefully decorated and comfortable. Decks are detail decorated. Never felt crowded.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]No laundry rooms. Lacked of public restrooms which were not easy to find.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Ship was worn, not well maintained. Family friendly. Offering more sports activities. Bingo $20 and has only one winner during game, lasting less than 15 minutes. Compass has small writing, difficult to read. Captain had a great sense of humor, making jokes throughout the sailing.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Princess[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]ships have a more "classy" feel to it. Far more elegant.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]You never got the feeling that any particular area of the ship was overcrowded.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]On each deck there are laundry rooms with washers, dryers, and a row of ironing boards with irons. Public bathrooms are easily accessible near dining area and theatre.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Bingo offers more chances to win prizes. More activities during the day. Patter easier to read.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Cabin[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]RC[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]if you want a bathrobe, you have to buy one, unless you book a suite or have higher member status. . Small drawers for storing clothes.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Bathroom shower was larger, with a tubular shower door and had racks to place shampoo, shaver, etc.Water temp. was easy to set. Light brown water coming out of sink. Toilet was well worn, difficulty flushing.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]On balcony there’s a small side table with two uncomfortable chairs. Balcony doors were completely sound proof, as well as the cabin. Unable to hear announcements in cabin, had to stand in hallway to listen.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Cabin had a sofa and table. If you were sitting at desk, it made it difficult to pass. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Princess[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]cabins offer you a free bathrobe. More space for storage. Plus, egg-crate foam mattress support, if needed. Shower has a curtain, no racks to place toiletries. Balconies are bigger, with comfortable chairs and table. No towel animals. Can request to have sitting chair removed, allowing more room to move about the cabin.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Mustering[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]RCCL[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]you had to put your life vests on while going to your outside lifeboat station and wait for the cruise staff to do roll call. You are crammed into tight rows in the heat. Given a small lecture on safety measures.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Princess[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]mustering drills are done in the lounges and the theatre. You don’t have to wear your life jacket until after they did the demonstration and gave you time to practice. The Princess mustering drill was also more informative. There was a recording that played over the PA system that told you exactly what you would have to do in the event of a real emergency. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Horizon Court vs. Windjammer[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Royal [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Caribbean[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy][B]’s[/B] Windjammer had nothing spectacular to offer. Basic food. They have an outstanding omelet station. Food was always cold. Pancakes hard. Wait staff comes and serves you juice and coffee immediately. You have to pay extra for fresh squeezed OJ. Buffet area closes early, making it difficult to get a small bite to eat or a drink.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Princess[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]the [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Horizon Court[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy] was open 24 hours. Fresh squeeze orange juice. Food was always hot. Cooks will prepare eggs anyway you like them. Make your own sandwiches. More of a variety of food. You have to get your own coffee, tea, or juice, but service carts do come around offering you refills of coffee.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Dining[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Princess[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]offers Personal Choice you can reserve a table anytime you choose and with what waiter you want. Wait staff remembers what your likes and dislikes are. I would go Personal Choice over Traditional anytime. Food is more delicious, with unique presentation. Higher quality of food. Lobsters are larger and tastier and the King Crab Legs are perfectly prepared. Princess has more to offer on menus, plus the dessert menus have a larger variety to choose from. Several dining options are available. Free hamburgers and hot dogs and a pizza station near pool area. Jeans and shorts were never seen in dining area or public spaces. Everyone is elegantly dressed. The liquor on Princess is far cheaper than RCCL.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Royal Caribbean[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]has friendly dining room service. We were able to have a table for two. It felt more like anytime dining than Traditional dining. Passengers were allowed to enter and leave dining room anytime. The servers sing to you three times during the seven day cruise. The menus are much to be desired. Offering less to choose from. The quality of food was basic. Nothing to write home about. On two nights only one salad was offered. The potions are smaller and less tasty. The dessert menu had nothing to rave about. Extremely small portions. Not enough dining choices throughout the ship. You have to pay for hamburgers. Pizza is offered in a small out of place area. Saw more passengers wearing jeans in dining room and public areas. Extremely casual ship.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Entertainment[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]Royal Caribbean[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]the entertainment factor was geared towards the Puerto Rican cruisers. (As told by the cruise director). Only one show during the night, with only a singer, band, or guitarist here or there. [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]RC entertainers sing off key. [/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]Tickets are necessary for the [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]one-of-a-kind ice-skating show, which you should not miss.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Princess[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]has first class entertainers. Singing and dancing, comedians, jugglers, magicians. Bands playing throughout the ship. Several shows to choice from during the night. Large lounges. The Princess production shows are more elaborate and better done.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Pools[/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]RC[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]pools are salt water. Which wasn't bad at all. AOS had two small pools in one area and an adult only in another area. Less wait staff. Watched Pax’s (so called chair hogs) fighting over one lounge chair while vacant ones where right next to each other. Loungers are uncomfortable. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Princess [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]pools are larger and have fresh water. More pools to choice from. Large amount of wait staff hounding you for drink orders.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy][B][U][FONT=Arial]Disembarkation [/FONT][/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Arial]RCCL[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]they call by color then you have get on this long line that you have to wait in. It probably took close to 35 minutes to disembark in the heat. Finding your luggage was extremely difficult. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]Princess[/COLOR][/FONT][/B] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]is easier and faster. When your color\number is called you walked right off the boat, we didn’t have to wait in any lines. Princess tells you when to leave your luggage outside your door.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=darkred][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Based on our experience, we are sticking with Princess. Unless RCCL has a great offer.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
[/quote]Thanks for your comparison. You mentioned the ship being worn, not well maintained, can you give me some details??

[quote name='Sandytoes']
It seems with all the research you did before your cruise and all your experience you knew about Johnny Rockets and how to get a robe.
[COLOR=darkred]Yes, I did some research, but not as much as I usually do.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred]I did learn that RC sells their classic waffle robe for $19.95 or the terry robe for $50.00. Were Princess provides them for free.[/COLOR]
[SIZE=-1][COLOR=indigo]Johnny Rockets charges a fee of $3.95 per dining guest, including gratuities.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[/quote]

This is quite misleading. Yes, you can purchase the robes on RCI, but Princess does not give away the robes. That is how it appears based on what you have written. Princess does provide robes, but you do not walk away with them. To do that, you would have to buy them.

[quote] [B]CruiserTK[/B]
This is quite misleading. Yes, you can purchase the robes on RCI, but Princess does not give away the robes. That is how it appears based on what you have written. Princess does provide robes, but you do not walk away with them. To do that, you would have to buy them.[/quote][SIZE=-1]Princess provide complimentary robes during your cruise. You do not need to ask for them. They are placed in your cabin on the first day of arrival. It's a little extra touch provided to their guest.
Where as, RC does not.

Having a robe was not a major issue for me. Since I provide my own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/SIZE][quote][B]roe2ship[/B] Thanks for your comparison. You mentioned the ship being worn, not well maintained, can you give me some details??[/quote]Places that needed to be repainted. Tiles on floor cracked.
Toilet badly stained, marked, and would not flush at times...:eek:
Brown water coming out of sink.

And here's a picture of the adult pool. Which we never went in.
Notice the brown stain around the edge.

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/CPcruise/1fe487ab.jpg[/IMG]

Archived