RCCL Versus Princess review

Sandy, while we lean toward RCI, I can not argue with anything at all that you mentioned in your review. I appreciated your attention to detail. Princess hands-down has better entertainment while RCI tends to run in "has been's." Princess also has the more exotic itineraries. I agree that the food on Princess is better in the dining room but give RCI the edge for the breakfast buffet and also lunch. We are RCI stockholders and also get past passenger credits, etc. so dollar for dollar, RCI usually comes out the winner dollarwise. We all had a fit when Royal Caribbean announced standarized pricing saying travel agents could not cut the price. As it turns out, it's so much easier to simply go to the website to see what a certain cabin will run. (Yes, agencies throw in perks but at least you have a level playing field to start with.) I find Princess pricing extremely confusing and also a bit annoying. Everytime I've decided to bite on a "two-for-one" offer, it's turned out not to be any such thing as the price reverts back to the inflated brochure price which isn't valid in the first place. I do wish that RCI had laundry rooms especially with the 50 lb. weight limit. Thanks for your review. We'll have to give Princess another shot.

[quote name='Sandytoes']On Princess cruises the Head Waiter rarely goes to table to table. Only if a request is made by a passenger or from one complaining.

On RC every night the Head Waiter always stopped by each table.

Is it because they have to check up on their Dining room Waiters and
Assistant Waiters?
Or is it because of the discretionary tips?[/quote]

I suppose it could be either, but I don't think that's typical of RCI. On my four RCI cruises, the headwaiter has generally stopped by to introduce himself early in the cruise and maybe stopped by the table one or two other times during the week. Some people complain about that very fact, that they [B]don't[/B] see much of the headwaiter. I think the feeling is that, if they're expected to tip him/her, they expect the visits. I don't really care, because I think, if everything is fine with my service, then the headwaiter is doing his job. Plus the headwaiter's recommended tip per person is hardly worth stressing over at $0.75 per day.

[quote name='MakinGold']I suppose it could be either, but I don't think that's typical of RCI. On my four RCI cruises, the headwaiter has generally stopped by to introduce himself early in the cruise and maybe stopped by the table one or two other times during the week. Some people complain about that very fact, that they [B]don't[/B] see much of the headwaiter. I think the feeling is that, if they're expected to tip him/her, they expect the visits. I don't really care, because I think, if everything is fine with my service, then the headwaiter is doing his job. Plus the headwaiter's recommended tip per person is hardly worth stressing over at $0.75 per day.[/quote]
I couldn't agree with you more. We have had excellent head waiters that are always readily available with special requests or problems that can occur. It is worth the 75 cents per day. Also I have seen head waiters help with tables that may more attention - sometimes with children.

The Head Waiter on RCI runs his section. He trains the people in his section and supervises them on a daily basis. In case of sickness he will step in for the sick waiter, happened to us on the Radiance. There was a whole thread here on the subject: [COLOR="Black"][B]What does the head waiter do? [/B][/COLOR] They do all kinds of stuff we are not even aware of. And one of the posters was a former cruise employee, gave a very specific list of the HW's responsibilities.

They earn the tips.

My DH & I had a situation on the Sun Princess, we went to dinner,think it was 3rd night, no tablemates. Following evening, samething. Felt strange sitting at table of 8 and just you and hubby. Maitr'd came over wondering where they were, we didn't know, said if not there following evening if we wish, would move us to table of 10 missing 2. We entered dinning room and waited, they showed up. They didn't tell us they were eating elsewhere so they could attend show. It would have been nice if they had said we won't be here for dinner.

GWoodman[/b];11254870]My DH & I had a situation on the Sun Princess, we went to dinner,think it was 3rd night, no tablemates. Following evening, samething. Felt strange sitting at table of 8 and just you and hubby. Maitr'd came over wondering where they were, we didn't know, said if not there following evening if we wish, would move us to table of 10 missing 2. We entered dinning room and waited, they showed up. They didn't tell us they were eating elsewhere so they could attend show. It would have been nice if they had said we won't be here for dinner.

I totally agree with you. It would have been nice if your tablemates informed you that they were running late or won't be available for dinner.

This is happening more and more on Princess.

Passengers who first sign up for Traditional dining end up changing their minds once on board. For some reason or other - running late for dinner, seeing a show, or relaxing, maybe taking a nap or just for the convenience to eat anytime they choose.

That is why Princess changed from having one P.C. dining room to 2 and only offering one Traditional. And if you don't make reservations, especially Lobster night, you'll end up waiting.

I totally agree with you. It would have been nice if your tablemates informed you that they were running late or won't be available for dinner.

This is happening more and more on Princess.

Passengers who first sign up for Traditional dining end up changing their minds once on board. For some reason or other - running late for dinner, seeing a show, or relaxing, maybe taking a nap or just for the convenience to eat anytime they choose.

That is why Princess changed from having one P.C. dining room to 2 and only offering one Traditional. And if you don't make reservations, especially Lobster night, you'll end up waiting.

You might check your facts about the allocation of dining rooms between traditional and anytime. From the very start Princess allocated more rooms to anytime dining than to traditional, and from the very start there have been complaints about the lengthy waitlists for traditional. Princess and its cheerleaders would rather blame the passengers who supposedly request traditional but use anytime, than admit what is obvious from the numbers, more guests request traditional than they are willing to accommodate. It isn't as if they don't have sufficient advance notice to make adjustments on a cruise by cruise basis, as the numbers dictate. If there is a plague of traditional diners sneaking into the anytime dining rooms, the remedy is obvious but again, Princess would rather claim that this is happening than take steps to stop it. Check the sea pass cards which show the dining assignment before seating passengers who present themselve at the anytime dining rooms. But that would be too easy.:rolleyes:

Check the sea pass cards which show the dining assignment before seating passengers who present themselve at the anytime dining rooms. :

Princess in fact does do this. We never had to wait for a table until our last cruise which was over spring break and a very full ship. Even then, it was only on the formal nights and not for a very long time. A lot of families opt to just go to the buffet for dinner except on formal nights when it doesn't have some of the more desirable offerings.

You might check your facts about the allocation of dining rooms between traditional and anytime. From the very start Princess allocated more rooms to anytime dining than to traditional, and from the very start there have been complaints about the lengthy waitlists for traditional. Princess and its cheerleaders would rather blame the passengers who supposedly request traditional but use anytime, than admit what is obvious from the numbers, more guests request traditional than they are willing to accommodate. It isn't as if they don't have sufficient advance notice to make adjustments on a cruise by cruise basis, as the numbers dictate. If there is a plague of traditional diners sneaking into the anytime dining rooms, the remedy is obvious but again, Princess would rather claim that this is happening than take steps to stop it. Check the sea pass cards which show the dining assignment before seating passengers who present themselve at the anytime dining rooms. But that would be too easy.:rolleyes:

I am trying to understand what you are saying,

Are you saying more guests request Traditional but Princess would rather have two Personal Choice rooms? Why do you think that is? Doesn't make sense?

If passengers still prefer Traditional why are other cruise lines, including RC, following suite - having opening dining?

And as for the facts, When I was on my first Grand cruise they just started alternative dining room and only had one room available.

Plus it was only available on the Grand and Golden, Now, it's offered on their entire fleet. There must be a very big reason for that.

I am trying to understand what you are saying,

Are you saying more guests request Traditional but Princess would rather have two Personal Choice rooms? Why do you think that is? Doesn't make sense?

If passengers still prefer Traditional why are other cruise lines, including RC, following suite - having opening dining?

And as for the facts, When I was on my first Grand cruise they just started alternative dining room and only had one room available.

Plus it was only available on the Grand and Golden, Now, it's offered on their entire fleet. There must be a very big reason for that. quote]

That is exactly what I am saying. More guests request traditional and as a result, if you check the Princess boards, you will find that hundreds are placed on a wait list for traditional and many eventually are placed in anytime dining. I wish I understood Princess' reasoning, but they have yet to respond to the complaints from all of those who find themselves forced into a dining option that they neither requested or desired. They do however seem to encourage the claims that those passengers either: 1. do not know what they want or 2. if they do manage to secure traditional dining, promptly decide to abandon it once onboard and dine in the anytime dining rooms.

While the older Princess ships may had had fewer dining rooms, their newer ones have three or more and in each instance, only one of them is designated as the traditional dining venue, regardless of the way the split breaks. Sapphire Princess for example only has one traditional dining room but three or four anytime dining rooms and that arrangement never changes no matter how many of their guests request traditional. Since they know well in advance, how many of their guests want one style of dining rather than the other, I would have expected that they would be flexible enough to change those designations according to the desires of each week's cruisers. I recognize that not everyone can have their request granted, but I would hope that there would not be hundreds of such passengers on every cruise. For whatever reason, they are unwilling to do so and rather than explain their decision, they maintain silence on the subject. Initially they reported that anytime dining was overwhelmingly popular with their guests but when evidence of lengthy waitlists became known, their mantra changed and they claimed that traditional diners were choosing traditional but then eating in the anytime dining rooms once onboard. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with a cruiseline offering both options if they can do so and satisfy most of their guests. However, Princess has been unable to do so and based on the physical setup of the RCI dining rooms, I have serious doubts that they will be able to do so either.

It is difficult to get Princess to respond to questions about any of their procedures, from why they can't be flexible in their dining room assignments to why they won't introduce interactive tv on even their newest ships.

Having options is a great concept, but when you promise options, it seems to me you are obligated to deliver. :)

Sandy the two couples missed the show because they arrived late and no room, so didn't want to miss next night. Not sure where they ended up following night, think they got back from excursion and dined again in open dining. Our waiter told us that is not fair to those signed up for open dining. We really didn't want to move, DH liked the lovely waiter and I thought her assist waiter was cute. :)

That is exactly what I am saying. More guests request traditional and as a result' date=' if you check the Princess boards, you will find that hundreds are placed on a wait list for traditional and many eventually are placed in anytime dining. I wish I understood Princess' reasoning, but they have yet to respond to the complaints from all of those who find themselves forced into a dining option that they neither requested or desired. They do however seem to encourage the claims that those passengers either: 1. do not know what they want or 2. if they do manage to secure traditional dining, promptly decide to abandon it once onboard and dine in the anytime dining rooms.

[/size']I have no problem with a cruiseline offering both options

I agree....It's nice to have array of different dining options for all passengers to enjoy.

Flexible dining options have become more desirable. In the old days, the choice was pretty much limited to early or late dinner seating.

Late Dining always books first and is often on a wait-list 6 months prior to sailing.

Table and Dining Assignments are made by the ship's Dining Coordinator who works in the corporate office. This person makes the assignments 2 weeks prior to sailing and submits the list to the maitre'd the week before sailing.

Once on board just speak with the Maitre d'. He'll make every effort to change either the time or the table assignment for you.

Flexible dining options have become more desirable. In the old days, the choice was pretty much limited to early or late dinner seating.

Late Dining always books first and is often on a wait-list 6 months prior to sailing.

Table and Dining Assignments are made by the ship's Dining Coordinator who works in the corporate office. This person makes the assignments 2 weeks prior to sailing and submits the list to the maitre'd the week before sailing.

Once on board just speak with the Maitre d'. He'll make every effort to change either the time or the table assignment for you.

If you are going to quote me as saying that I have no problem with a cruiseline offering both dining options, you might at least quote the complete statement. :mad: You omitted my proviso that said that in offering both options they need to be able to deliver on their promise that those who request a specific style stand a good chance of getting it. Princess does not deliver on that promise as proven by wait lists numbering into the hundreds for traditional dining. If RCI is able to learn from Princess' experience more power to them, but count me among the skeptics until shown otherwise.

For all those who wonder what the difference is between Princess and RCCL here is my review.

I posted this on Princess, but added some extra tidbits here.

Embarkment Day

Royal Caribbean just a handful of crew members welcoming you onboard. You are not allowed to bring any liquor onboard.

Princess has staff members on every deck level, including cabin decks waiting outside the elevators, directing you to your rooms. Cabin Stewards are near your cabin as you arrive. Introducing themselves. You are hounded to buy soda cards. You are allowed to bring wine onboard.

Ships

RCCL Large glitzy promenade with more detail located on one deck. Each deck is tastefully decorated and comfortable. Decks are detail decorated. Never felt crowded.

No laundry rooms. Lacked of public restrooms which were not easy to find.

Ship was worn, not well maintained. Family friendly. Offering more sports activities. Bingo $20 and has only one winner during game, lasting less than 15 minutes. Compass has small writing, difficult to read. Captain had a great sense of humor, making jokes throughout the sailing.

Princess ships have a more "classy" feel to it. Far more elegant.

You never got the feeling that any particular area of the ship was overcrowded.

On each deck there are laundry rooms with washers, dryers, and a row of ironing boards with irons. Public bathrooms are easily accessible near dining area and theatre.

Bingo offers more chances to win prizes. More activities during the day. Patter easier to read.

Cabin

RC if you want a bathrobe, you have to buy one, unless you book a suite or have higher member status. . Small drawers for storing clothes.

Bathroom shower was larger, with a tubular shower door and had racks to place shampoo, shaver, etc.Water temp. was easy to set. Light brown water coming out of sink. Toilet was well worn, difficulty flushing.

On balcony there’s a small side table with two uncomfortable chairs. Balcony doors were completely sound proof, as well as the cabin. Unable to hear announcements in cabin, had to stand in hallway to listen.

Cabin had a sofa and table. If you were sitting at desk, it made it difficult to pass.

Princess cabins offer you a free bathrobe. More space for storage. Plus, egg-crate foam mattress support, if needed. Shower has a curtain, no racks to place toiletries. Balconies are bigger, with comfortable chairs and table. No towel animals. Can request to have sitting chair removed, allowing more room to move about the cabin.

Mustering

RCCL you had to put your life vests on while going to your outside lifeboat station and wait for the cruise staff to do roll call. You are crammed into tight rows in the heat. Given a small lecture on safety measures.

Princess mustering drills are done in the lounges and the theatre. You don’t have to wear your life jacket until after they did the demonstration and gave you time to practice. The Princess mustering drill was also more informative. There was a recording that played over the PA system that told you exactly what you would have to do in the event of a real emergency.

Horizon Court vs. Windjammer

Royal Caribbean ’s Windjammer had nothing spectacular to offer. Basic food. They have an outstanding omelet station. Food was always cold. Pancakes hard. Wait staff comes and serves you juice and coffee immediately. You have to pay extra for fresh squeezed OJ. Buffet area closes early, making it difficult to get a small bite to eat or a drink.

Princess the Horizon Court was open 24 hours. Fresh squeeze orange juice. Food was always hot. Cooks will prepare eggs anyway you like them. Make your own sandwiches. More of a variety of food. You have to get your own coffee, tea, or juice, but service carts do come around offering you refills of coffee.

Dining

Princess offers Personal Choice you can reserve a table anytime you choose and with what waiter you want. Wait staff remembers what your likes and dislikes are. I would go Personal Choice over Traditional anytime. Food is more delicious, with unique presentation. Higher quality of food. Lobsters are larger and tastier and the King Crab Legs are perfectly prepared. Princess has more to offer on menus, plus the dessert menus have a larger variety to choose from. Several dining options are available. Free hamburgers and hot dogs and a pizza station near pool area. Jeans and shorts were never seen in dining area or public spaces. Everyone is elegantly dressed. The liquor on Princess is far cheaper than RCCL.

Royal Caribbean has friendly dining room service. We were able to have a table for two. It felt more like anytime dining than Traditional dining. Passengers were allowed to enter and leave dining room anytime. The servers sing to you three times during the seven day cruise. The menus are much to be desired. Offering less to choose from. The quality of food was basic. Nothing to write home about. On two nights only one salad was offered. The potions are smaller and less tasty. The dessert menu had nothing to rave about. Extremely small portions. Not enough dining choices throughout the ship. You have to pay for hamburgers. Pizza is offered in a small out of place area. Saw more passengers wearing jeans in dining room and public areas. Extremely casual ship.

Entertainment

Royal Caribbean the entertainment factor was geared towards the Puerto Rican cruisers. (As told by the cruise director). Only one show during the night, with only a singer, band, or guitarist here or there. RC entertainers sing off key. Tickets are necessary for the one-of-a-kind ice-skating show, which you should not miss.

Princess has first class entertainers. Singing and dancing, comedians, jugglers, magicians. Bands playing throughout the ship. Several shows to choice from during the night. Large lounges. The Princess production shows are more elaborate and better done.

Pools

RC pools are salt water. Which wasn't bad at all. AOS had two small pools in one area and an adult only in another area. Less wait staff. Watched Pax’s (so called chair hogs) fighting over one lounge chair while vacant ones where right next to each other. Loungers are uncomfortable.

Princess pools are larger and have fresh water. More pools to choice from. Large amount of wait staff hounding you for drink orders.

Disembarkation

RCCL they call by color then you have get on this long line that you have to wait in. It probably took close to 35 minutes to disembark in the heat. Finding your luggage was extremely difficult.

Princess is easier and faster. When your color\number is called you walked right off the boat, we didn’t have to wait in any lines. Princess tells you when to leave your luggage outside your door.

Based on our experience, we are sticking with Princess. Unless RCCL has a great offer.

I have cruised with RCCL 12 DIFFERENT SHIPS AND PRINCESS 6 AND I HAVE ENJOYED EACH ONE I BELIEVE I WAS ON THIS CRUISE THAT YOU ARE REVIEWING 8/5/07 ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS OUT OF PUERTO RICO AND I MUST SAY IT WAS THE WORST RCCL CRUISE I HAVE BEEN ON BUT DONT JUDGE BUY THIS SHIP MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT RCCL HAS THE BEST ENTERTAINMENT AND GLITZ AND PRINCESS HAS THE BEST FOOD AND SERVICE AND MORE POOLS BUT IF THEY WERE THE SAME I WOULD BE BORED STIFF MY ADVICE ENJOY THEM BOTH AND DONT JUDGE RCCL BY OLLY ONE SHIP TRY NAVIGATOR OR FREEDOM OR RADIENCE FIRST.

The Radiance is excellent ship to judge RCL by. It has a great captain and crew. It is rated as the friendliest ship of RCL. We are just back off a cruise on 8/10/08. We did the Adventure of the seas in July 2003 and the cruise was excellent. There is friendlier and more personalized service on the Radiance.

I have cruised with RCCL 12 DIFFERENT SHIPS AND PRINCESS 6 AND I HAVE ENJOYED EACH ONE I BELIEVE I WAS ON THIS CRUISE THAT YOU ARE REVIEWING 8/5/07 ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS OUT OF PUERTO RICO AND I MUST SAY IT WAS THE WORST RCCL CRUISE I HAVE BEEN ON BUT DONT JUDGE BUY THIS SHIP MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT RCCL HAS THE BEST ENTERTAINMENT AND GLITZ AND PRINCESS HAS THE BEST FOOD AND SERVICE AND MORE POOLS BUT IF THEY WERE THE SAME I WOULD BE BORED STIFF MY ADVICE ENJOY THEM BOTH AND DONT JUDGE RCCL BY OLLY ONE SHIP TRY NAVIGATOR OR FREEDOM OR RADIENCE FIRST.

Don't get me wrong. I truly enjoyed my AOS cruise.

I just wrote this review comparing the differences.

Going on one ship will not stop me from sailing on that particular line. Knowing each ship's different.

I might cruise on another RC ship if the price is right and sailing to the ports I want to see.

My relatives, who have cruised on RC's Explorer, Brilliance, Grandeur, and Navigator.

They also cruised on Princess's Star, Golden, Grand, Island & Tahitian. Also felt even though both cruise lines are similar.

Princess has an edge over RC. Food, entertainment, and pools, etc.

I have only sailed on Princess's, Sea Princess and I liked very much several things on Princess, i.e. extra pools, MUTS, and, surprisingly, anytime dining. I found the service very comparable to Rccl, but did not find the food better at all, the coffee to be awful, and the inside area's to be very cramped and crowded feeling.

I was not over impressed with Sea Princess, but, would not let that deter me from trying Princess again if the intinerary, and price were right, also I would like to try a different ship, and (although I am British myself) a cruise not so specifically geared to the British market. I still say that overall I prefer RCCL and will continue to cruise with them wherever possible

I have only sailed on Princess's, Sea Princess and I liked very much several things on Princess, i.e. extra pools, MUTS, and, surprisingly, anytime dining. I found the service very comparable to Rccl, but did not find the food better at all, the coffee to be awful, and the inside area's to be very cramped and crowded feeling.

I was not over impressed with Sea Princess, but, would not let that deter me from trying Princess again if the intinerary, and price were right, also I would like to try a different ship, and (although I am British myself) a cruise not so specifically geared to the British market. I still say that overall I prefer RCCL and will continue to cruise with them wherever possible

Katyj,

First let me Congratulate you on becoming a grandma. How exciting.

I hope you don't mind me asking you this,

if you only sailed on the Sea Princess how is it you prefer RC?

Thanks for your review. I have been on 3 RCI cruises, and will be on AOS for the first time with 2 of my kids next March. I'm looking forward to being on a Voyager-class ship for the first time.

We cruised on the Coral Princess to Alaska in June, and it was our first experience on Princess. We loved the ship, thought Anytime Dining was perfect - especially in Alaska where there are some long days in port, and would definitely reserve Anytime Dining again. I thought RCI and Princess were pretty comparable, although my husband thought the dining room food on Jewel of the Seas was a bit better than on Coral Princess.

Katyj,

First let me Congratulate you on becoming a grandma. How exciting.

I hope you don't mind me asking you this,

if you only sailed on the Sea Princess how is it you prefer RC?

I think maybe she means on Princess,the only ship she has sailed is the Sea,she has other RCI booked,so my guess is she has sailed RCI in the past:confused:

Katyj,

......I hope you don't mind me asking you this,

if you only sailed on the Sea Princess how is it you prefer RC?......

This is the trouble with judging a line of 20 ships by one ship which is older and not representative of the fleet as it exists now.

Which is what you did when you judged the RCI fleet by the AOS which has its issues (wear and tear, etc.)

We did a Christmas cruise years ago on the Ocean, back when holiday cruises cost a fortune. We had an inside on this new ship, paid a lot and wound up with a cabin with 110 sq ft of space. Princess is lucky we tried the Grand; based on the tiny cabin on the Ocean (same as the Sea Princess) we could have kissed the line off forever.

sorry if this is double post-- my computer just hiccuped!

i agree with hylas: one could appreciate the review for what it is -- 1 person's perception and perhaps offer their different experience without attributing motive to the op's comments.

thank you sandy--i just booked my 2nd princess cruise, being very satisfied with them, but have been curious about royal...almost booked with them and got in bitter battle over shipboard credit offer that they would'nt give me because i had a courtesy hold that they considered a booking! i may never book with them unless as you implied its an impossibly good deal!

We have cruised 5 times with RCI and 4 times with Princess. Next cruise in November is with Princess followed by a Feb. cruise with RCI. We love them both.

Both lines are very close with minor (petty) differences.

We tried HAL in January and did not like it.

Happy cruising!

Griswalds

We have cruised 5 times with RCI and 4 times with Princess. Next cruise in November is with Princess followed by a Feb. cruise with RCI. We love them both.

Both lines are very close with minor (petty) differences.

We tried HAL in January and did not like it.

Happy cruising!

Griswalds

Thank you for saying that....That's what I've been trying to say....

How boring would it be if all Cruise lines were the same?

Archived