RCCL Versus Princess review

For all those who wonder what the difference is between Princess and RCCL here is my review.

I posted this on Princess, but added some extra tidbits here.

Embarkment Day

Royal Caribbean just a handful of crew members welcoming you onboard. You are not allowed to bring any liquor onboard.

Princess has staff members on every deck level, including cabin decks waiting outside the elevators, directing you to your rooms. Cabin Stewards are near your cabin as you arrive. Introducing themselves. You are hounded to buy soda cards. You are allowed to bring wine onboard.

Ships

RCCL Large glitzy promenade with more detail located on one deck. Each deck is tastefully decorated and comfortable. Decks are detail decorated. Never felt crowded.

No laundry rooms. Lacked of public restrooms which were not easy to find.

Ship was worn, not well maintained. Family friendly. Offering more sports activities. Bingo $20 and has only one winner during game, lasting less than 15 minutes. Compass has small writing, difficult to read. Captain had a great sense of humor, making jokes throughout the sailing.

Princess ships have a more "classy" feel to it. Far more elegant.

You never got the feeling that any particular area of the ship was overcrowded.

On each deck there are laundry rooms with washers, dryers, and a row of ironing boards with irons. Public bathrooms are easily accessible near dining area and theatre.

Bingo offers more chances to win prizes. More activities during the day. Patter easier to read.

Cabin

RC if you want a bathrobe, you have to buy one, unless you book a suite or have higher member status. . Small drawers for storing clothes.

Bathroom shower was larger, with a tubular shower door and had racks to place shampoo, shaver, etc.Water temp. was easy to set. Light brown water coming out of sink. Toilet was well worn, difficulty flushing.

On balcony there’s a small side table with two uncomfortable chairs. Balcony doors were completely sound proof, as well as the cabin. Unable to hear announcements in cabin, had to stand in hallway to listen.

Cabin had a sofa and table. If you were sitting at desk, it made it difficult to pass.

Princess cabins offer you a free bathrobe. More space for storage. Plus, egg-crate foam mattress support, if needed. Shower has a curtain, no racks to place toiletries. Balconies are bigger, with comfortable chairs and table. No towel animals. Can request to have sitting chair removed, allowing more room to move about the cabin.

Mustering

RCCL you had to put your life vests on while going to your outside lifeboat station and wait for the cruise staff to do roll call. You are crammed into tight rows in the heat. Given a small lecture on safety measures.

Princess mustering drills are done in the lounges and the theatre. You don’t have to wear your life jacket until after they did the demonstration and gave you time to practice. The Princess mustering drill was also more informative. There was a recording that played over the PA system that told you exactly what you would have to do in the event of a real emergency.

Horizon Court vs. Windjammer

Royal Caribbean ’s Windjammer had nothing spectacular to offer. Basic food. They have an outstanding omelet station. Food was always cold. Pancakes hard. Wait staff comes and serves you juice and coffee immediately. You have to pay extra for fresh squeezed OJ. Buffet area closes early, making it difficult to get a small bite to eat or a drink.

Princess the Horizon Court was open 24 hours. Fresh squeeze orange juice. Food was always hot. Cooks will prepare eggs anyway you like them. Make your own sandwiches. More of a variety of food. You have to get your own coffee, tea, or juice, but service carts do come around offering you refills of coffee.

Dining

Princess offers Personal Choice you can reserve a table anytime you choose and with what waiter you want. Wait staff remembers what your likes and dislikes are. I would go Personal Choice over Traditional anytime. Food is more delicious, with unique presentation. Higher quality of food. Lobsters are larger and tastier and the King Crab Legs are perfectly prepared. Princess has more to offer on menus, plus the dessert menus have a larger variety to choose from. Several dining options are available. Free hamburgers and hot dogs and a pizza station near pool area. Jeans and shorts were never seen in dining area or public spaces. Everyone is elegantly dressed. The liquor on Princess is far cheaper than RCCL.

Royal Caribbean has friendly dining room service. We were able to have a table for two. It felt more like anytime dining than Traditional dining. Passengers were allowed to enter and leave dining room anytime. The servers sing to you three times during the seven day cruise. The menus are much to be desired. Offering less to choose from. The quality of food was basic. Nothing to write home about. On two nights only one salad was offered. The potions are smaller and less tasty. The dessert menu had nothing to rave about. Extremely small portions. Not enough dining choices throughout the ship. You have to pay for hamburgers. Pizza is offered in a small out of place area. Saw more passengers wearing jeans in dining room and public areas. Extremely casual ship.

Entertainment

Royal Caribbean the entertainment factor was geared towards the Puerto Rican cruisers. (As told by the cruise director). Only one show during the night, with only a singer, band, or guitarist here or there. RC entertainers sing off key. Tickets are necessary for the one-of-a-kind ice-skating show, which you should not miss.

Princess has first class entertainers. Singing and dancing, comedians, jugglers, magicians. Bands playing throughout the ship. Several shows to choice from during the night. Large lounges. The Princess production shows are more elaborate and better done.

Pools

RC pools are salt water. Which wasn't bad at all. AOS had two small pools in one area and an adult only in another area. Less wait staff. Watched Pax’s (so called chair hogs) fighting over one lounge chair while vacant ones where right next to each other. Loungers are uncomfortable.

Princess pools are larger and have fresh water. More pools to choice from. Large amount of wait staff hounding you for drink orders.

Disembarkation

RCCL they call by color then you have get on this long line that you have to wait in. It probably took close to 35 minutes to disembark in the heat. Finding your luggage was extremely difficult.

Princess is easier and faster. When your color\number is called you walked right off the boat, we didn’t have to wait in any lines. Princess tells you when to leave your luggage outside your door.

Based on our experience, we are sticking with Princess. Unless RCCL has a great offer.

Well, I'm glad you found Princess to your liking. I know that it is difficult not to compare ships, so I understand and appreciate your evaluations. Luckily, on all four of the RCCL cruises (different ships) we've experienced, we've never been disappointed in the service, accommodations, food (venues, choices offered, and quality), activities, or entertainment. So far, we only have Caarnival to compare RCCL to, and I must admit that RCCL tops Carnival in just about everything. (Their food isn't bad, though.) We will be taking our first Princess cruise early next year, and I just hope that your comparison between the lines doesn't prompt us to expect more than Princess can deliver.

Hamburgers are free in windjammer, and you only have to pay for them if you get them at Johnny Rockets.

You can also get mattress pads for your bed on RCI, although since all their beds have pads now with the new bedding, you would not need one.

I found a lot of incorrect information on your comparison. And lets not forget that the OP has only been on one RCCL cruise, and five Princess cruises. So it is hard to judge based on one cruise.

Of the 5 RCI cruises I've been on, I found AoS to be my least favorite ship. It's certainly not the ship I would judge the standard RCI offering by when making a comparison. AoS offers a different cruise experience (since it departs from San Juan) and it's one folks either love or don't like at all it seems.

Yeah... BUT... the burgers aren't fresh made to order (not that I have seen) I love Royal, but I love the lunch options on Holland America. I love that you can get a fresh made hamburger out by the pool... but my favorite is their everyday taco bar out there too! I LOVE Royals ships!!! I do I do... but their lunch options are boring.

She did not know to turn on the dial to adjust the announcements in the cabin. There is a dial near the lights on the mirror. This will allow you to turn them off in cabin or adjust the volume if they are on in the cabin.

All she had to do was ask the steward for the mattress pad. She did not say how private the balcony was on RCI as opposed to Princess being graduated and thus allowing people on top to look right in. Food is so subjective so that cannot be of much value. My parents went on their first cruise to alaska on princess and felt nickel and dimed for everything. SO to each his own.

After reading enough of your post in the past on the Princess board,I think you would have written the same "review" having never stepped on an RCI ship.

Very hard to "compare" the entire RCI experience,by sailing on what I assume was AOS out of San Juan,to the entire sailing experience on RCI...Everyone knows that this sailing is geared toward the culture from San Juan.

I have never sailed Princess,but have toured 2 ships.The Grand and the

I find them stuffy,a claustrophobic,the pool area on the Grand left me feeling I had left a Roman Orgy.Rooms are spacious,and well appointed,nothing superior...

To say Princess ships are more classy...Is simply not true.Obviously,that is an opinion,that we are both welcome to..

Some,not all of Princess ships have a great Seafood Buffet.Other than that,not any big difference of food.

The Windjammer has every breakfast food imaginable..So cant see where you can say Princess offers more.

I don't need a large welcoming committee.Although I can see how that is impressive to many.(seriously,not sarcastically.)

I have never been on board and not had practically everyone I pass speak and smile to me..Once or twice maybe,but not enough to put me off.

Robes,are handed out,if available by request.2 times in D1 cat,they have been in the room..Although I know thats not the norm.

You can request a room Steward add or remove anything.Sometimes they can and do accommodate,sometimes they cant.Our first sailing with our DS they removed the glass table after us voicing our concern of he being at about eye/face/head level.We have had them add and remove furniture on balconies,and bring egg crates when requested.

Personal opinion as well..But have no desire to iron,or pass a laundry mat on my "classier ship"

On all RCI vessels I have been on,there is a speaker control volume in the room.

Once again,from what I read on the Princess boards,there are plenty who have issues with "not so anytime dining" RCI is starting to experiment with this option.Thank God for choices.

Sandy,I hope you don't feel "attacked" by my comments,I can understand you might.But seriously...Just being honest,not ugly...You know you were going to prefer Princess prior to stepping onboard..And thats OK...

I really wish you would compare any other sailing,than the one you did..As we know the issues that sailing faces..But that sounds like I am trying to make excuses for problems you did encounter,and I am not.

Only thing I really take exception to is your comment they are "classier" simply not true.And not possible for you to say with out really seeing a Radiance class,a Vison class Solarium and Centrum and some of the fabulous designs and decor on the entire fleet.

Just as with RCI,some of Princess ships are fab,some are not..

But in reality the two lines are much much more alike than different..

Have a great time on your next Princess sailing,and I will have a great time on the Voyager in Jan...:)

Cheers.

Without knowing which ships were being compared, it is difficult to comment on the comparisons. We found that our outside stateroom on the Sapphire Princess was smaller than a similar category room on Jewel, Explorer, or Freedom of the Seas and the barrel chair that was in our Princess room in place of the couch that we had on RCI ships, was inconveniently located so that it had to be moved if we wished to access the balcony, and that in so doing we blocked access to the refrigerator. It was a constant shifting of the chair to access one or the other.

We were also less impressed with the setup of the Horizon Court at breakfast time and the limited beverage options at lunch (iced tea or water - no lemonade or fruit punch).The room service menu on RCI ships is more extensive and you don't have to be in a suite to take advantage of the full menu. Entertainment options on both lines seemed far more similar although the daytime activities on Sapphire Princess did offer more and a greater variety of audience participation games. The plethora of pools was nice except on one day of the cruise when the only one open was the covered pool which was filled with kids. The deckplan of Sapphire Princess, especially if you wanted to get to the traditional dining room, was difficult to navigate and required you to go up a deck over and down, to get to that dining room if you were forward or midships on Deck 6. Tables for two in the Sapphire Princess' anytime dining rooms are a joke and certainly wont provide anyone with an private or intimate dining experience if that is what they want. And don't get me started on the ill-named Wake View bar, with little or no view of the wake unless you stand on a chair to look out the portholes located high on the rear wall.:rolleyes: In comparison the Safari or Colony Club lounges on Radiance ships are a comfortable and relaxing place to sit and watch the ocean and the ship's wake when you are sailing. We have done muster drills out on deck and inside lounges on various RCI ships, and to me the only thing that matters is that passengers are able to hear the instructions and information being provided to them during the drill. In the event of a real emergency there is no guarantee that you can or should go to the muster station that you used during the drill.

Overall, we find the cruise experience more similar than different on both lines. Some of the differences that we noticed, involving service etc. are more the luck of the draw and depend on the individual crew members you interact with than what line they work for.

Without knowing which ships were being compared, it is difficult to comment on the comparisons. .

All you have to do is look at the signature.

Adventure of the Seas vs. Crown Princess, Grand Princess, Golden Princess & Caribbean Princess. :rolleyes:

All you have to do is look at the signature.

Adventure of the Seas vs. Crown Princess, Grand Princess, Golden Princess & Caribbean Princess. :rolleyes:

Sorry, of course you are right, but most of the time I don't really pay that much attention to the information in the signature blocks.:(

I also am surprised by the comparisons. We were on a B2B on Crown in April, and without a doubt much prefer RCI to Princess. Thought the buffet was closed in, not spacious like Windjammer, and it definitly was not open 24 hours. It was never open before 6 or 7 am. They did have a great seafood buffet on the day of sailaway in the Caribe cafe, not the Horizon Court. Fruit on the first day was spoiled, so never ate it again the entire 2 weeks. Overall we think RCI buffet is much better.

Don't get me wrong - we had a great cruise on Crown, but I don't think the comparisons are at all accurate to a Voyager class ship. From the staff, to the room (although I will say Princess had a lot of storage), to the atmosphere, gym, layout of the ship, all of it, I just think RCI has the better ships.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just can't believe you could find so many things that much different. For us, we will continue to cruise with Royal.

There's no sense flogging the poor woman (I'm assuming sandytoes is a woman)

It is reviews like this that make us realize that we can just ask for somethings, or we maybe we didn't know where the knob was to adjust the volumn (I didn't know). Plus... it is good to hear about comparisons. If you don't like them... don't respond. You don't have to, you know? The boards are geared for information and people shouldn't get slammed for putting out "their" opinion. I thought she definitely stated some positive things about RCCL.

I think Royal ships are classy also... LOVE the Radiance class. I haven't been on a single Princess ship... but I would like to some day... so it's good to hear about things that each one has. For some, hamburgers are not a big deal... for others, maybe robes DO make a difference (they don't to me, but...)

I just think it would be nice if we could keep these boards informative without having people jump down your throat.

Thank you for the review. I am wanting to try Princess some day. Could you please tell me what Princess ship you were on and where you went?

Thanks!:)

I have sailed on the Grand, Golden, Caribbean, and Crown

I have done Eastern, Southern, & Western itineraries.

Grand (twice) - Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Princess Cay, & Costa Maya

Golden - Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Martin, & St Thomas

CB - Grand Cayman, Cancun-Cozumel, Princess Cays, Jamaica

Crown - Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Turks, St Martin, Bermuda

She did not know to turn on the dial to adjust the announcements in the cabin. There is a dial near the lights on the mirror. This will allow you to turn them off in cabin or adjust the volume if they are on in the cabin.

All she had to do was ask the steward for the mattress pad. She did not say how private the balcony was on RCI as opposed to Princess being graduated and thus allowing people on top to look right in. Food is so subjective so that cannot be of much value. My parents went on their first cruise to alaska on princess and felt nickel and dimed for everything. SO to each his own.

I was well aware of the dial...Turning it on did not help the matter. If I did turn it on it only played music.

I did not mention anything in my review about mattress pads. Mattress pad was not necessary. The bed was very comfortable.

As for the balcony, I found Princess's a little bit bigger. Every one I booked was totally private. Never have I had a issue of others invading my privacy.

Speaking about nickel & diming, on RC you have pay for freshly squeezed OJ. Princess you don't.

It is reviews like this that make us realize that we can just ask for somethings, or we maybe we didn't know where the knob was to adjust the volumn (I didn't know). Plus... it is good to hear about comparisons. If you don't like them... don't respond. You don't have to, you know? The boards are geared for information and people shouldn't get slammed for putting out "their" opinion. I thought she definitely stated some positive things about RCCL.

I think Royal ships are classy also... LOVE the Radiance class. I haven't been on a single Princess ship... but I would like to some day... so it's good to hear about things that each one has. For some, hamburgers are not a big deal... for others, maybe robes DO make a difference (they don't to me, but...)

I just think it would be nice if we could keep these boards informative without having people jump down your throat.

uummm..No one flogged the gal IMO...My intent was to do just as you suggest.And that is to when someone,IMO offers up incorrect,or maybe in accurate info...No need for someone to think that RCI room Stewards are non-responsive to requests,or that you would not hear an important announcement inside your room.

Part of an informative board,is to keep accurate.

Granted,much of the comments are opinion,and that is not up for debate :)

Sorry, of course you are right, but most of the time I don't really pay that much attention to the information in the signature blocks.:(

Sorry, my roll eyes was not for you. It was for the op and the subjective review. 5 Princess and one RCCL and she is an expert on RCCL. Thats all. Sorry if you thought it was for you. Here is a big smile. :D :D

Thank you hylasgirl.

I was only giving my opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

Some people can't handle a little negativity about their favorite cruise line. The so called Cheerleaders....But that's all right. They are entitled to their own opinion as well....

No cruise ship is perfect, you can always find fault if you look hard enough.

There's always room for improvement.

We sailed on Caribbean Princess and on Splendor of the Seas.. which I know belong to very different classes and can't be compared, but I found food comparisson to be true in our case. It was weakest food out of all our cruises including Carnival and NCL.

I found couple of points very valid.

1) Pools.. They are amazing 4 full size pools (2 adult pools). Great loungers, many with cusions.

2) Entertainment. Aside from main lounge shows there were 5-6 different venues with various live entertainment. It was great.

We are sailing on Explorer of the Seas on Friday and wish our cruise to be at least as good as on Caribbean Princess.:)

I have cruised on both lines and will continue to cruise on both lines. I find RCI and Princess to be much closer in the services and amenities provided than the OP.

I couldn't agreee more with your sentiments. In July we were on the Crown Princess and cruised the Navigator a few years ago and are booked for the Explorer next July. Our experiences were wonderfull on both lines. The OP states "No cruise ship is perfect, you can always find fault if you look hard enough:( ." For me I'm looking for the glass that's half full not half empty, after all your on a vacation that you've probably paid a good deal of money for and looked forward to for quite some time so why not enjoy the possitve aspects of your selected cruise line:) .

Of the 5 RCI cruises I've been on, I found AoS to be my least favorite ship. It's certainly not the ship I would judge the standard RCI offering by when making a comparison. AoS offers a different cruise experience (since it departs from San Juan) and it's one folks either love or don't like at all it seems.

I feel the exact opposite of you. The AOS is my favorite ship. Granted I have been on only 5 cruises, and 3 of them were on the AOS - but still, I really love that ship!

Why do you say that "it's certainly not the ship I would judge the standard RCI offering by". True, the departure port may be San Juan - but how is the AOS cruise so vastly different than the other cruises offered by RCI? Just curious and hoping you can clarify.

I have sailed on the Grand, Golden, Caribbean, and Crown

I have done Eastern, Southern, & Western itineraries.

So you are comparing the ships when they are in the Caribbean only.

That might explain why my experience of RCI is not the same as yours. I have only been in the Med and recently the Baltic.

The entertainment was geared towards the English speaking not Spanish speaking guests - I don't know if I felt more sorry for the comedien or some of his audience one of the nights.

I went to muster in a lounge - very comfortable

All food was hot in Windjammer

All in all I did not recognise the cruise experience you described.

Archived