Bar Or Lounge

etrainer1

Our favorite is the Ocean Bar. We go there before our late diner for veggie appetizers and to dance. The last time we were on a HAL ship, the Zaandam in Feb 2003, they had a very nice trio playing--Trio Montreal. We really enjoyed their music and talking to them. That was their last cruise and they were excited about returning home. They did some of their music in French and we got a kick out of that. We hope we have a group as good on our New Years cruise.

We also like the Dolphin Bar to sit and relax and enjoy a cold one! :D :D

OK....finally got around to doing what I promised a few days ago. Credit goes to my wife for writing this out.

Here's the recipe - Michael, our bartender on the Oosterdam, was kind enough to teach it to me. And they are great at a summer party. When making for a group I still suggest making them two at a time to keep your ingredients in balance.

Coral Lemon Drop

1-1/2 oz Vodka (We use Smirnoff or a good brand smooth vodka)

1/2 oz Chambord (Raspberry liqueur)

3 oz Sweet and Sour Mix

Lemon wedges (Cut one large into six wedges or one small into four wedges)

Using a steel shaker and glass, squeeze or mash two lemon wedges into bottom of glass. Add 2 parts each of vodka, Chambord, sour mix and add ice leaving room at top of glass. Shake well and strain into martini glasses rimmed with sugar.

When I'm only making one at a time just use one wedge of lemon and one part of each liquid.

The color of the drink should be coral - if you have too much Chambord in it it looks too pink!

:) Randy, this drink sounds like it could become one of my favorites in a heartbeat!

Will definitely be asking the bartenders to make it for me:D

OK....finally got around to doing what I promised a few days ago. Credit goes to my wife for writing this out.

randy, this sounds heavenly! even though we are not sailing until january, i am going to test this drink out tonight at dinner! i will report back to you!!! thanks!:D

Okay - got to hit the liquor store.

All we have is Vanilla Absolut.

We do have the chambord but I don't think the vanilla vodka will work. And I still have some lemons left over from making lemon-blueberry bread earlier this week.

And have to remember to buy some sweet and sour mix.

Sounds great.

Mrs. K said I should post that she uses Smirnoff Silver which she thinks is their top drawer version. All I know is that the first time she made them at home after the cruise we were sitting around our pool commenting on how good we felt after just two drinks. :D Didn't quite remember that they had the same kick on the Odam. I'd assume any of the top brands would work just as well but, obviously, you should probably stay away from the flavored varieties.

Well....if that's all the trouble I get in then I'll accept it. :) After all this talk about coral lemon drops guess what we're having this evening???? Yeah!!! They really are our favorite new drink. I still get in my regular martini and Carey is most fond of gin and tonic but the drops are a nice change. Thanks Michael wherever you and the Oosterdam are today!

Well....if that's all the trouble I get in then I'll accept it. :) After all this talk about coral lemon drops guess what we're having this evening???? Yeah!!! They really are our favorite new drink. I still get in my regular martini and Carey is most fond of gin and tonic but the drops are a nice change. Thanks Michael wherever you and the Oosterdam are today!

just had a coral lemondrop martini last night for the first time! i brought a printout of your directions for making it to the bartender! he made them so potent and delicious! he never heard of one but he did an excellent job. in fact, the hostess wanted a taste and it was the talk at the bar last night! thanks!!!! we will now drink it on the oosterdam in january and we shall look for michael.

Ellen - That's great! :D Turned out we ran all over town yesterday and didn't get to the lemon drops last night but Mrs. K has promised tonight is the night. ;) Glad the bartender was able to figure it out. Mrs. K says that she wrote them out as she would have needed them when she was a bartender working her way through college.

Archived