Starting to get scared

JoKen1

While I am so looking forward to my Alaska Cruise on the 2nd of Sept. I find that today I started to get scared. It's the first time I've traveled as a solo.

I've read a few post about ending up having to eat alone. That makes me worry I could get stuck doing that. What would I do? Walk out and go eat in my room?

What about the excursions? What if I'm the only one going solo and people don't even want to talk to me?

What about getting lost and not being able to find my way around while on shore?

What if I get lonely? I have heard some get so lonely while on a cruise and being solo even though there are people all around you.

Deep in my heart I know I will be ok but I'm getting worried about feeling like I'm a tag a long or worried people won't even talk to me.

Foolish I know but has anyone else felt like this? Have any of these things happened to you when you traveled solo? What did you do?

Joanne

While I am so looking forward to my Alaska Cruise on the 2nd of Sept. I find that today I started to get scared. It's the first time I've traveled as a solo.

I've read a few post about ending up having to eat alone. That makes me worry I could get stuck doing that. What would I do? Walk out and go eat in my room?

Did you request a large table? I always do that and end up having

a wonderful time. And No, I have never left the dining room to eat in my room.

What about the excursions? What if I'm the only one going solo and people don't even want to talk to me?

Cruisers are usually very friendly:) I book ship excursions quite often

and it is a great way to meet others! There are plenty of times

I am the only solo one on an excursion.....nobody cares. People are nice...and striking

up a conversation about cruising, where you are from, etc is always an easy thing to do.

What about getting lost and not being able to find my way around while on shore?

If you have never been to a certain port, book an excursion.

I have never gotten lost in all my cruises.

What if I get lonely? I have heard some get so lonely while on a cruise and being solo even though there are people all around you.

I have never been lonely on a cruise...plenty to do or not do, depends

on my mood!:D

Deep in my heart I know I will be ok but I'm getting worried about feeling like I'm a tag a long or worried people won't even talk to me.

Cruising solo is awesome:)......you run into the same folks, the staff

and crew as well and they are friendly to everyone! I see you are sailing to ALASKA! I did that last summer

and it was FANTASTIC!!!!! Do some excursions......they are wonderful!!! Wish I could do Alaska again!

Foolish I know but has anyone else felt like this? Have any of these things happened to you when you traveled solo? What did you do?

Another way to meet people is to check out the ROLL CALL

FORUM.....the folks on roll calls are usually wonderful:) and

they are on there for the same reasons......to meet other

people on their particular sailing and get great information too!!!

Try and relax!:D Alaska is awesome!

We're a group of young at heart grandparents sailing on Summit in October to Hawaii and don't mind if some of you solo travelers hang out with us. We're busy seniors so you'll need to be able to keep up the pace. Would hope that if we ever had to travel alone that someone would include us in some of their planned activities.

jaybird, how nice of you. If I were on your ship I would take you up on your offer.

I'm sure I will be fine. I'm being silly. I do know another girl going. She is going with her sister and friend and I will spend some time with them. I just don't want to wear out my welcome.

Plus there is the cake club going and I'm sure they will be friendly towards me too.

Yes I did request a larger table but reading that some have sat at a table that no one showed up on sounds scary to me. The dining alone is the hardest part for me.

I am doing excursions and even so would like to spend some time walking around afterwards. I'm hoping the ship is close by the cities and I'll be fine.

Does anyone know about Alaska and how close the ship is to the city.

What ports of call are you going to??? When you ask how close the

ship is to the city?

The ships dock into each port....if you have excursions booked,

they usually pick you up near the ship....usually right outside!:)

Did you look into excursions already? I am trying to help:)

If you already know 2 people sailing why not cross reference your

bookings and sit together at dinner?

It is your cruise too:D so I doubt you will wear out your welcome!

Your last question...."Does anyone know about Alaska and how close the ship is to the city.?"

Alasksa is the state:)

The ports of call are the cities:)

You might check the ports of call board.....there is ALOT of Information over there about Alaska.

Oh silly me! I'm going to be going to, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan in Alaska and then Victoria in Canada.

I am not really worried about the excursions as I know they pick up close by. But after they are over do they bring you back to the ship or what?

I was thinking that since the excursions are only about 2 - 2 1/2 hours I could still have time to walk around and shop, see the sites and so on. But do I go back to the ship and take a cab or can I walk there?

I won't be having the same dinner time as the people I know that is going. They booked late and I asked for early as I like the shows at night and have heard you often miss them if you have the late dinning. But I think I should be fine at dinner as long as people show up. DO they often eat elsewhere? I would think most people ate in the main dinning room. Am I wrong?

Oh silly me! I'm going to be going to, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan in Alaska and then Victoria in Canada.

I am not really worried about the excursions as I know they pick up close by. But after they are over do they bring you back to the ship or what?

I was thinking that since the excursions are only about 2 - 2 1/2 hours I could still have time to walk around and shop, see the sites and so on. But do I go back to the ship and take a cab or can I walk there?

I won't be having the same dinner time as the people I know that is going. They booked late and I asked for early as I like the shows at night and have heard you often miss them if you have the late dinning. But I think I should be fine at dinner as long as people show up. DO they often eat elsewhere? I would think most people ate in the main dinning room. Am I wrong?

I think Lois wanted to know if you had booked any excursions via the cruiseline before you left? Normally you can do this in advance and if you are concerned about being alone. You will be with plenty of people from the ship and will likely have some time to do some things on your own before or after the excursion. As for missing the shows for lates seating, that has never happened to me and I always eat late seating. There is normally a late seating show and one for the early seating folks and the time has been set so you can make the shows. I am not saying it is impossible to miss one but I am saying that normally it should not be an issue unless you really camp out in the dinning room. I don't like hanging around the dinning room beyond dinner and will politely excuse myself if I feel I need to leave to make the show or whatever. Best of luck and you will love Alaska.

Oh, yes I did book excursions for each stop except Victoria. I did them all through the ship. So will I be brought back to the ship and then have to take a cab back out or will things be within walking distance?

Oh, yes I did book excursions for each stop except Victoria. I did them all through the ship. So will I be brought back to the ship and then have to take a cab back out or will things be within walking distance?

If you booked through the ship they will bring you back to the ship.

Your excursion information should tell you if there is shopping time

included.

And In Juneau and Ketchikan you will not need a cab. The areas

are both within walking distance of the dock.

I have not been to Sitka so I cannot answer that one.

Again, you might want to see if there is ROLL CALL started for your

sailing. It is a great way to meet other people on your cruise.

Hi Vince:)!

First of all I want you to know that every single concern or worry you wrote about, I had in my heart before I sailed solo, as well.

I will be honest with you and say, yes, there are some times when traveling as a solo lady traveler I feel awkward. No, I'm not comfortable all the time. But then....life isn't comfortable all the time!

I don't mean to push my beliefs on you, or anyone, but I am a Christian woman and the Lord is always with me. I can call on Him for grace, for company, for peace, to guide me in my speaking, how I think what I do, bringing people into my day to chat with, that is where I go when I need absolutely anything.

Wear a bright smile and enjoy your adventure. You'll have a wonderful time and people will be drawn to you. I pray to God that He look over you and give you the trip of your life.

Your friend,

Jane

The only comment I will make here is about the Roll Call Meet and Mingle. I had a fantastic time "talking" to fellow cruisers, but on the actual night I was supposed to meet them, I had fallen asleep and missed it entirely. What a disappointment. They said later they were anxious to meet me. Go and have a wonderful time and trust me, you will become addicted to doing it solo. I have NEVER been lonely.:) In fact, I prefer going alone. As for eating, I was seated at a very large table and only 3 people showed up on one night and most of the nights I was by myself, but I had the best table on the ship, seated on the rear overlooking the moon glistening off the water. Fantastic!

First of all I want you to know that every single concern or worry you wrote about, I had in my heart before I sailed solo, as well.

I will be honest with you and say, yes, there are some times when traveling as a solo lady traveler I feel awkward. No, I'm not comfortable all the time. But then....life isn't comfortable all the time!

I don't mean to push my beliefs on you, or anyone, but I am a Christian woman and the Lord is always with me. I can call on Him for grace, for company, for peace, to guide me in my speaking, how I think what I do, bringing people into my day to chat with, that is where I go when I need absolutely anything.

Wear a bright smile and enjoy your adventure. You'll have a wonderful time and people will be drawn to you. I pray to God that He look over you and give you the trip of your life.

Your friend,

Jane

Thanks Jane,

No pushing your beliefs off on me as I too am a Christian and trust God will take care of me and I am ALWAYS where He wants me to be right at that time. Thanks for the reminder though. I needed that.

Hey, I am in Santa Ana CA also. We should meet sometime. Maybe have lunch or something. We may one day even be able to take a trip on the same ship. :D

Thanks everyone for putting my mind to ease. I feel so much better just knowing everything that I should expect and that many others have gone solo before me and loved it.

I have checked into my Roll Call but it doesn't seem very active. I don't think anyone was really interested in getting to know me except one so who knows.

Is there always a CC meet up?

Joanne

Joanne, hi, why would you think nobody is interested in meeting you?:eek:

Having a positive attitude is a good part of doing things solo,

cruising included.

If the roll call is slow, post a bit on there and just keep a look to see

if others reply:)

You leave in 2 weeks? I am jealous;) I have to wait until

October!!!

Oh I didn't mean that no one on board would feel that way. I just meant on the roll call. I've asked if anyone wanted to meet up at any time and got one reply.

I've listed the excursions I was booked on and asked others what they are doing and only one reply.

So besides that one nice woman I don't think the other CC members are interested in meeting other people. Which of course is fine. Some people like to keep themself on a cruise.

You have the wrong information about shows and dining. Generally speaking, if you dine early you go to the late show and if you dine late, the shows are before your dinner, so you never have to miss a show because of dinner. So, you could have booked the late seating without missing any shows.

I understand your concerns about traveling single. I often travel with my elderly mother and while we can share a room, she cannot handle the strain of an excursion. I have learned to go ahead and take them but I usually book them through the ship as I think they are a bit safer.

I always meet people to talk to, people on cruise ships are generally very friendly people. When dining, ask to be seated at a table with others so you will not be alone. Go to activities, you will meet others that may become good friends.

We're a group of young at heart grandparents sailing on Summit in October to Hawaii and don't mind if some of you solo travelers hang out with us. We're busy seniors so you'll need to be able to keep up the pace. Would hope that if we ever had to travel alone that someone would include us in some of their planned activities.

That is SO nice!! If I ever found myself travelling alone, I'd let you "adopt" me, and I expect I'd have the time of my life!

Some folks get seasick and end up in their rooms, soom do the pay dining option, and some do alternative dining. About 75% of the time my table has been filled as a solo. One time there were only two of us solo guys at our table until two Canadian gals hopped over since there were only the two of them at their table - we all had a great time. If your table is empty then ask to join another large table as early in the cruise as you can. Kind of hard to exchange good cruise stories if you are all there by yourself.:D

But I think I should be fine at dinner as long as people show up. DO they often eat elsewhere? I would think most people ate in the main dinning room. Am I wrong?

Thanks Jane,

No pushing your beliefs off on me as I too am a Christian and trust God will take care of me and I am ALWAYS where He wants me to be right at that time. Thanks for the reminder though. I needed that.

Hey, I am in Santa Ana CA also. We should meet sometime. Maybe have lunch or something. We may one day even be able to take a trip on the same ship. :D

Thanks everyone for putting my mind to ease. I feel so much better just knowing everything that I should expect and that many others have gone solo before me and loved it.

I have checked into my Roll Call but it doesn't seem very active. I don't think anyone was really interested in getting to know me except one so who knows.

Is there always a CC meet up?

Joanne

Have a great time, we know you will!

Hi Lois, Remember you aren't the only one that needs to wait till Oct for their next cruise (lol).

I get all those same thoughts before I go, but each time I meet wonderful people and have a great time. Now I like some alone time also, but I book excusions thru the cruise line and always have a good time. Only once did I move tables in the dining room otherwise I had wonderful tablemates.

It is hard to calm the fears, but I am certain you will have a wonderful time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived