Teenagers on formal night, how formal?

I took my 17 year old grandson through the Panama Canal a couple years ago for an 18 th birthday present. Rented him a tux, Wanted to get a good picture of him for his mom. Of course he was 6' tall so wore an mans size. He looked great. They delivered it right to our state room.

Delores

We bought tuxedos on Ebay-$38 each for our twin boys(13) and they wore them both formal nights (changing before heading to the teen programs after dinner). It made for great pictures, and we saved space, and I could argue it cost less than a suit! It was fun for all the guys to dress like "James Bond". They loved it!

Karen

The boy in our group (15) now always wore a suit on the cruises, since he was 10. Be he always changes right after dinner and pictures. Also, the girls in our group love to put on fancy dresses, but then change and go to Adventure Ocean.

I have just a quick question - did everyone here who has teens do the main or late seating? Thanks!

WE travelled with our 21 year old daughter and her friend, our 18 year old son and his friend and our 9 year old. We found the late seating to be best just because when you get off an excursion at a port of call around 4 or 5, you want some time to go back to the stateroom, shower, relax, etc, instead of running off to a 6 pm dinner. Since 18 year old boys are ALWAYS hungry, they would go get a slice of pizza or snack somewhere to hold them til dinner at 8:30. Just my humble opinion but it worked for us!

Do teenage boys (my DS is 13) usually wear suits on formal night? Or would nice dressshirt, pants and tie suffice? He has no problem wearing a suit if it is mandatory, but I would prefer to save the luggage space.....:D

All 3 of my kids (12, 14 and 18) would have liked a formal eveing every day - they loved dressing up.

Quite a few youngsters wore tuxedos and cocktail dresses - well the females did, of course!

Archived