Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

I disagree with you 100%...........the people there depended on us to help with their livelihood.............It was the way Mexico used to be...........unspoiled and beautiful(you need to go past the pier area).............I,for one, say bring it back.....and we'll be there!

I agree. Cancun used to a jungle and marsh land at one time. Costa Maya will be back just like Cozumel.

ela8 - well, we're both optimists (go figure why...) but if it's taken Cozumel 2 years to repair their piers, and they've got considerably more economic clout then our optimism is probably misplaced...

I enjoyed Costa Maya. I spent little time in Mahajual - nice as it was though, and less time at the pier. Having visited Chacchoben Village (apart from the Mayan ruins 7 miles away) I've got mixed feelings about the whole state of affairs in that area. The locals do too. The carpet-bagging pier with its wall... condos... god know the world needs more condos right... progress...

The Mayans are a hardy bunch. They had nothing (materially) 10 years ago and now next to nothing to be taken. Much of the local populace sleep in hammocks with dirt floors many with no doors (with nothing to take, why block the breeze). Amazing to think year 2000, no electricity, no running water (still no running water!). The locals are suffering, but its the bankers and insurers in Mexico City that are really crying...

Heck with the credit and real estate slump, don't completely discount the idea of the pier owner/developers simply taking the insurance money and saying to heck with it. Unlikely I know, but with the beach badly stripped of sand, it is probably as likely as a native Mayan becoming a condo developer...

Let's hope that when they rebuild they won't put the cement wall back up.

I hope to see some coverage on Costa Maya soon. This is sad that the only coverage i can find if by doing some major searching & the translating from the spanish newspapers that some of you have posted.

I agree completely. It's weird to describe, but I felt so "at home" in Majahual. And when I think of the trouble the people there are going through, it literally breaks my heart.:( I believe the people there are so strong and they'll be fine.

But the thoughts of development make me sick! Esp. the more I find out about the problems, the big $$ from mexico City, etc.

I feel the same way. I wish I had seen the thread on the hole in the fence before I had gone there in July.

I know that the next time I return & it isn't a if I return it is a when I return, I will venture out to the fishing village, I will see more that I didn't see this time & I will feel honored to see what everyone says is so wonderful about these people here.

When we were there, my best friend & her son did a tour that my daughter & I did not do. She couldn't believe that we just hung out at the pier. Told me that the people were so friendly there, would go out of their way, seemed to appreciate everyone being there, loved telling their stories to people who would listen etc. I so wish I would have gone with her. She felt like they enjoyed the ships coming there, they didn't expect anything but appreciated anyone showing interest in anything they wanted to share.

Aerial photo of Costa Maya. This is the first photo I have seen of the port buildings.

r2153826068.jpg?x=380&y=217&sig=Y1bIea9M0S7BvmrNkJEj3g--

OMG, I'm literally in tears right now. Where did you find this? Is that the swimming pool or the pool we played volleyball in?

I disagree with you 100%...........the people there depended on us to help with their livelihood.............It was the way Mexico used to be...........unspoiled and beautiful(you need to go past the pier area).............I,for one, say bring it back.....and we'll be there!

I agree with Parrothead! Get past the shops and the primitiveness of the port really gives you a glimpse of the coast as it has been for hundrends...thousands of years...you just have to cover your children's eyes when browings some of the shops if ya know what I mean :eek:

Aerial photo of Costa Maya. This is the first photo I have seen of the port buildings.

Oh my god..... This photo brought me to tears..... I'm a little disoriented as to where that is but that building to the right, looks part of the buildings once off the pier.... Where did you find this? What website?

YES YES YES!! They should most definately rebuild Costa Maya. Our first trip there was less than stellar, but this past March we had a great time there. It is a wonderful stop, a great place to relax. We look forward to returning there someday.

5 years ago the place was a jungle, no people, no running water, no phones or electricity. Now it is back to where it was before man intervened. I do not think they received return on the initial investment. Since the area has a history of the most powerful storms ever to strike soil, it would seem wise to leave it in its natural state instead of once again, throwing millions of dollars into a pier and strip mall.

Mexico will rebuild, needs the tourists.

Can I go for a cruise on your avatar. And watch the planes take off and land? Blows away Maho Beach on St. Martin.:D :)

I will be honest I thought it would look worse then this....I still have never seen anything like the damage from hurricane Camille - http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricanecamille.htm

Andrew was rough also - My wife was a kid and went down to Miami with her dad to help and she said that it was horrible - she said when she got out of her dad's truck she smelled something horrible - Someone later said it was the smell of death in the air. I thought maybe because she was a kid and over reacted but I know at least two dozen people that said the same thing when they went down there to help...(we only live two and a half hours away so I know a lot of people that saw what it did) I have seen some crazy pictures - If that storm would have hit downtown Miami I can't even imagine the death toll.

Mahajual was one of the most special places. It is not for everyone, but we loved it. My hope is that the people of this small town continue to live in what has been their home town area and that they receive the support they need.

Our visits always by-passed the tourist area at the port and focused on the town. My fear is that developers will use this opporunity to take up the land and turn it into some dreadful cement city. YES they should rebuild the port! If I thought that every time a fierce storm came along an area should go back to nature, most of Florida would return to a swamp, my own town included.

Aside from what any of us think, the pier was built in part with cruiseline money. If there is any opportunity for this area to survivie, it will be through tourism. :D

Oh my god..... This photo brought me to tears..... I'm a little disoriented as to where that is but that building to the right, looks part of the buildings once off the pier.... Where did you find this? What website?

I have been using the search engine on Yahoo News and limited the search to photos only. The orange building to the right is the welcome entrance.

Dave

Yes, we will!:D

Last September....

[ATTACH]54872[/ATTACH]

That square pad looks to be where the pier attached. Click on my small pic and you can compare the two side-by-side.

I may be wrong, but it seems as though the pier would be more to the right based on your picture. There was a smaller pool next to the water that was a volleyball pool that we were in, it seems like that may be where that is. I don't have a pic of the pool I'm talking about but it was on the back side of the pier entrance next to the water.

Last September....

[ATTACH]54872[/ATTACH]

That square pad looks to be where the pier attached. Click on my small pic and you can compare the two side-by-side.

The square pad is the swimming pool. The pier came in directly to the orange building. If you look behind the swimming pool, you can see the curvature of the main pool. In the after photo, you can see it in it also. The picture below I took on my Oct 30th, 2006 cruise.

Dave

costamaya.jpg

I hope they rebuild, I enjoyed the day going into the fishing village and drinking a margarita or two or six & doing nothing else, not being in a hurry

because you are always in sight of the ship. I have the habit of trying to do much at most places and really don't rest, even though I'm having fun. Here

you just look at the water and relax. I thought it was cool on our way back from Majuhal that one family had a pig tied to a tree like a pet.

Mexico will rebuild, needs the tourists.

Can I go for a cruise on your avatar. And watch the planes take off and land? Blows away Maho Beach on St. Martin.:D :)

Back in the day it was no big deal to have friends and family on board a Navy warship for a guided tour. I even took people a young family from Holland on board for a tour one time while in Spain. Those days are long gone but I do still keep the letter they sent after we left.They proclaimed it was the highlight of their European vacation.

Back on topic, I have gone way past the pier area in Costa Maya. So quite familiar with the layout. I heard the Ruins made out ok.

I guess if the cruiselines have the cash to throw back into it. Costa Maya will be once again. RCCL is millions in debt at this time so it will be interesting to see who ponies up.

Archived