Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

It doesn't look like there was a lot of beach erosion, I think a lot will depend on the pier - too bad they didn't take a couple pics of that.

This was a photo I had posted earlier. It has been the only one I have seen of the pier.

chmaja25.JPG

What a horror..My main concern is for the little resort to the right of pier. That was locally owned and called Chac-Chi. As you have probably seen, it has a thread unto itself.. They are the locals that didnt sell out to the pier owner.

Are there anymore pics of the pier area that include the area off to the right of the dock if you are facing the pier. I know its blown away, it was all Palapas and small cabanas. The dining area was one big open air palapas. Which was for me so beautiful. It was quiet, non commercialized and very ecologically sound.

There are alot of us who have been to Chac-Chi and are waiting to hear and see.

Marge

Starz723

What a horror..My main concern is for the little resort to the right of pier. That was locally owned and called Chac-Chi. As you have probably seen, it has a thread unto itself.. They are the locals that didnt sell out to the pier owner.

Marge

Starz723

I have been scouring the web trying to find a photo of Chac Chi but have not had any luck yet.

Dave

This was a photo I had posted earlier. It has been the only one I have seen of the pier.

chmaja25.JPG

I found this on Wikipedia:

"

The port recently sustained heavy damage due to Hurricane Dean. This included the dock designed for cruise ships. The area's Marketing Director indicates it will be sometime in mid to late 2008 before the port reopens for cruise ship traffic."

:( This is really sad. My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon at Costa Maya. We took the bike and kayak excursion. We rode bikes thru Majahaul and kayaked in the sea. It was so beautiful there. I remember relaxing in the hammocks at the port before we took our excursion. May God bless all the people there and we pray for a speedy recovery. What a shame to lose such a wonderful port of call.

I hope they do rebuild. Costa Maya is a great new port. Mahuahal is a wonderful town, and I pick cruises that will stop there. I spoke to many different people there, who I still talk to years later, that enjoyed us coming there. I will be very disappointed if I can not make it there again.

chmaja25.JPG

This photo is limited. But the pier appears to be far more destroyed than what was reported.

Hurricane Wilma badly damaged Cozumel's pier two years ago and it still isn't back to normal. This pier looks a lot worse than Cozumel's did.

I sure hope someone helps this port rebuild. We visited here on our first cruise and had so much fun. It was the best port! I fell in love with the Explorer of the Seas and costa maya. Some of our best memories are from that village. The little fishing town wasn't much last April, but this past Feb...wow...we were so looking forward to our massages on the beach this december and booked a cruise in March with my sister and family to take her here to this port. Someday, I sure hope we are able to sit on this beach, have a drink and some great food, and enjoy the sights of the water. I truly hope that our good Lord is watching over these wonderful people who DO need us to return!

They can rebuild the buildings and plant new trees but how on earth are they going to replace all the sand that is no longer there (pics are coming in now).... sand washed away on much of the beach - rocks and rubble left...... and the reefs are probably pretty messed up too. Not very pretty sight. There is ALOT of work to be done....... I can only feel really sorry for them.

I hope they do rebuild, it's a great place. The 1st time we were there they would not even take a tip. no one bothered you on the beach. Last time we were there they would take a tip. Kids were selling things as you layed on the beach. It's like seeing a child grow up.

They can rebuild the buildings and plant new trees but how on earth are they going to replace all the sand that is no longer there (pics are coming in now).... sand washed away on much of the beach - rocks and rubble left...... and the reefs are probably pretty messed up too. Not very pretty sight. There is ALOT of work to be done....... I can only feel really sorry for them.

It's called dredging. They dredge up sand and pump it into the beach area. Done all of the time for beach replenishment here in Florida.

Tanker 4

Archived