Rough seas to Antarctica?

robynmar

We're considering a cruise on the Azmara Journey in February which will sail from Buenos Aires to Antarctica. Has anyone heard whether or not the seas are rough? I've heard that the passage through the Straits of Magellan are fairly calm. We usually sail on the bigger ships.

The Drake Passage is more often rough (really rough) than not.

Do a search for the Drake Passage and you will find more info about various experiences people have had.

We were "relatively lucky" as we had only 30 ft waves and crossed the Drake only once due to our itinerary. Since we were on a 1,753 GRT/50 pax ship, the movement was 'noticeable' to say the least :-)

The odds say that you will hit some rough seas. All of this will vary cruise by cruise. On our most recent cruise the seas were relatively calm earlier this year but two years earliier they were rough. We always expect and prepare for the worst and if it turns out to be calm, all the better.

Keith

We sailed down from the Falkland Islands to Deception Island and then further afield in January, 2006. We went through 24 hours of very very rough weather with Force 11 gales. A lot of the passengers were ill plus the crew and it was extremely hard to walk around the ship. We were on the Regal Princess and our Captain kept telling us to have one hand for the ship and one hand for yourselves. Luckily, both my husband and self do not get seasick but we did spend most of that day in our lovely mini suite which was midships as it was too dangerous to walk around.

It was quite scary as we knew we were miles away from anyone if anything happened to the ship etc. I did keep thinking of the explorers in their small ships and how they survived and hoped for the best!

Jennie

The waters are known to be rough and to shake ships and those on them around.

But the passage is not the reason most people take a cruise to Antarctica. It is incredibly beautiful--the ice bergs of fabulous shapes, the water of a wonderful blue under the ice--and you will see thousands of penguins, whales, sea lions, seals, etc. My DH gets quite sea sick and we had rough waters, but he doesn't regret taking the trip at all. The results are definitely worth it!

The waters are known to be rough and to shake ships and those on them around.

But the passage is not the reason most people take a cruise to Antarctica. It is incredibly beautiful--the ice bergs of fabulous shapes, the water of a wonderful blue under the ice--and you will see thousands of penguins, whales, sea lions, seals, etc. My DH gets quite sea sick and we had rough waters, but he doesn't regret taking the trip at all. The results are definitely worth it!

Antarctica was so beautiful and we were fortunate to have the bluest of skies down there with little wind. The bergs were enormous and the wildlife was incredible.

It was a trip of a lifetime. :)

Jennie

Archived