formal nights with kids

luvdmouse

My dh and I are having a discussion about what our twin 8 year old sons should wear during formal nights on the Mariner of the Seas. I recently purchased very inexpensive suits and thought I would throw a collarless shirt on underneath. My boys hate buttons and anything fancy. My Dh says he finds it hard to believe that the kids need the suits and should just wear a nice shirt with slacks. Any opinions? What have your kids worn or what have you seen others wearing?

My dh and I are having a discussion about what our twin 8 year old sons should wear during formal nights on the Mariner of the Seas. I recently purchased very inexpensive suits and thought I would throw a collarless shirt on underneath. My boys hate buttons and anything fancy. My Dh says he finds it hard to believe that the kids need the suits and should just wear a nice shirt with slacks. Any opinions? What have your kids worn or what have you seen others wearing?

We have sailed with grandsons a few times. They wear khaki pants, white shirt and a Mickey Mouse bow tie grandma made for them. They love it and they look smart in the formal photo.

I have had my son getting dressed up in a suit or sport coat with tie on formal nights since he was 6. The first time he was reluctant but now gets dressed up without any issue or complaint (now aged 12). Our last cruise had 3 formal nights and we just switched shirts, ties, and slacks with a basic blue blazer. Eating a formal meal in the dining room helps develop manners. It is also great as we have obtained a whole series of formal portraits of the entire family over a during the last 6 years that we have been cruising as a family.

We always had our children wear what was appropriate for each night. I think the suits are wonderful and I would go with a shirt and tie. They'll look great and if you pose for family pictures you will have some special memories to look back on.

Keith

I think they should dress up with a suit. I don't think they need to (they do need a tie), but I think there's nothing wrong with teaching kids that there are certain times when we dress up and use our very best manners. For that reason, my 3 and 1yos are dressing up completely for our cruise. They may not like it, but it helps them learn about behavior in certain situations. Plus, it makes for a great family photo.:)

My son wore a suit on our first cruise when he was 7 but has worn dress pants, white collared shirt and tie only on the last 3 cruises. I can't even find suit jackets to fit him anymore. I'd have to get it custom made and I refuse to do that just for the cruise. At 13 he is 6 ft and weighs in at 115 lbs. Boys jackets are too short. Mens jackets too big in the shoulders. I give up:( . He does not look or feel out of place with out a jacket.

I have girls...but you can see how formal they dress in the top picture in my signature (the one on the left where they are wearing all black). Family friends went with us and their boy wore a jacket/tie. And you are on Mariner, so it will tend to be more formal than other ships.

So that we don't have to pack suits for my husband, we rent tuxes on board. My friend was going to do that for her son as well but didn't have time to get him measured.

Here, I added this picture so you could see their clothes

cruise07b.jpg

could be really cute if they wear t-shirts (plain, nice ones) with the suits. Have them try it on at home and see what you think. I can't imagine that they'd be too comfy in button down shirts and ties, so IMHO, if it makes them happy and helps you keep them in line with the dress code, go for it.

My boys have always worn a button down white shirt and khakis and I always see other boys dressed the same. They grow so fast that I would have to buy them a new jacket each time we cruise...and I don't have the pocketbook to do that.

Also, my kids run back to the cabin after dinner and immediately change into more comfortable clothes so they usually wear the same pants each night to dinner!

My children since they were little always looked forward to dressing up like the "adults" on formal night,, what a great picture it is when you see your family all dressed up. I know my kids always enjoyed it, they look good and feel good.

My kids always dress up, they love it. The last cruise we took was to the Med & we went with only a carryon roll away suit case each so no dress up and my 16 yr old was so disappointed! I think he likes to show off for the girls.

Just remember how ever you dress them, this will be the BEST opportunity for you to get family photos! We have some great ones and they always come out better than at a studio. I guess we are more relaxed on the ship

I have twice bought my 8 year old a tuxedo on e-bay. Both times the suit was new and arrived in a plastic garment bag. The jacket, pants, shirt, vest, and tie look great and both cost me less than $40. We were on HAL in Europe so a very high percentage of people were dressed in tuxes so he fit in great. I also have some great pictures on formal nights.

Also wanted to mention that I just bought him a blue blazer at JCPenney on sale for $20.

I think that there are lots of inexpensive ways to dress your kids beautifully.

I have twice bought my 8 year old a tuxedo on e-bay. Both times the suit was new and arrived in a plastic garment bag. The jacket, pants, shirt, vest, and tie look great and both cost me less than $40. I think that there are lots of inexpensive ways to dress your kids beautifully.

HA! I bought my DS a suit off of Ebay for Easter, and I plan on doing it again for our next Cruise...DS Loves to wear his suit, everytime we go anywhere half dressy! Both of my Kiddos are definately looking forward to the dressing up!

My kids hate to dress up but oh well too bad. I just got them suits for our cruise and found out that their third grade classes are working on a manners unit winter or early spring. It concludes with a luncheon at a fancy restaurant, with kids dressing up and boys pulling out chairs for the girls etc. I guess they'll get to wear their suits again.:D

My kids hate to dress up but oh well too bad. I just got them suits for our cruise and found out that their third grade classes are working on a manners unit winter or early spring. It concludes with a luncheon at a fancy restaurant, with kids dressing up and boys pulling out chairs for the girls etc. I guess they'll get to wear their suits again.:D

I couldn't agree with you more.

My DS wore a tux or suit since he was 7 YO. He loved to dress up like the adults (same with my DD). He might dress down the rest of the time, but when he's on a cruise he wouldn't have it any other way. Same with my nieces and nephews. Like the above said, great picture opportunity, and they want to fit in just like everyone else. Don't know if you have one near where you live but 3 Day Suit Broker sells a tux shirt, tie, cumberbund set pretty cheap ... although I'm sure you can find it cheaper on ebay, I just like to shop in person.

We cruise once a year so CJ cruised at age 11 months and 25 months. I personally love dressing him up because it makes great family portraits. And as we will be cruising hopefully for the rest of our lives he just will understand that he has to dress up occasionally.

at 11 months

2nd_formal.jpg centrum_1st_formal.jpg

at 25 months

formal%203.jpg cj%20formal.jpg

Since I was blessed with boys, the only time of the year I get to dress them up is when we cruise. These pictures are from our cruise when my oldest was 20 m/o. He was very cute (despite the Dennis the Menace grin) and received many comments and pictures. I plan to use this outfit again--with a little altering--for my second son who will be 14 m/o at sailing date and buy a similar--but not identical--one like it for our oldest who will be 3.5 y/o.

captain2.jpg.d089398cd0d0c8d1a53a15fb479d41d4.jpg

captain1.jpg.7dab56d31e37237788ba254af4209cb1.jpg

Since I was blessed with boys, the only time of the year I get to dress them up is when we cruise. These pictures are from our cruise when my oldest was 20 m/o. He was very cute (despite the Dennis the Menace grin) and received many comments and pictures. I plan to use this outfit again--with a little altering--for my second son who will be 14 m/o at sailing date and buy a similar--but not identical--one like it for our oldest who will be 3.5 y/o.

OMG!!!

Where did you get that sailor suit?????:confused:

SO CUTE!!!!!!

Archived