shorts and sandals in dining allowed on RCI?

Hi All, originally i had thought shorts and sandals was allowed in the dining rooms for dinner on casual nights. Then after reading some reviews, i'm getting mixed feedbacks. Can someone clarify this? Does the Mariner of the Seas allow shorts and sandals? I also heard that some people were wearing shorts for the formal dining night too. Not sure if true or not.:confused:

The ONLY cruise line that allows shorts and sandals in the dining room for dinner is Windjammer. Shorts are never allowed on any other cruise ship. BTW, if you thought you were only bringing shorts, what were you planning on wearing on formal nights?

The ONLY cruise line that allows shorts and sandals in the dining room for dinner is Windjammer. Shorts are never allowed on any other cruise ship. BTW, if you thought you were only bringing shorts, what were you planning on wearing on formal nights?

Well Said. Kitty9

Hi All, originally i had thought shorts and sandals was allowed in the dining rooms for dinner on casual nights. Then after reading some reviews, i'm getting mixed feedbacks. Can someone clarify this? Does the Mariner of the Seas allow shorts and sandals? I also heard that some people were wearing shorts for the formal dining night too. Not sure if true or not.:confused:

If you want to wear Shorts and Sandals for Dinner and on Formal night you should by all means be allowed to do it and I am quite sure there is some cruise line which will allow that style of dress. You may want to check out this link they will allow bare feet. http://www.windjammer.com/

I judge the majority of crusiers go to enjoy Dinner in the dining room and not a buffet diner and look forward to formal nights even if it means just a suit & tie.

If your lifestyle is one that you enjoy an extreme casual dress code then you should seek that out becuase you are entitled to enjoy your cruise and pay for what meet your expectations.

Sue L you finally posted something I can embrass and love. We may get flamed for this but I think cruising and dress up are one and the same. I'm retired and now live in shorts only own 1 suit & 1 tux. Suit for Funerals & Tux for crusing and it feels good to look good a few nights a week. Plus I have to have some place to wear my dockers so thank God for RCCL

Depends on the sandal, maybe. My 15 yr old found a pair of what were basically flip flops with a leather sole. The straps were covered in a glitter that perfectly matched her formal. She looked festive and perfectly appropriate (and young! Some of the other teen-age girls in our party tried to look 23.)

Don't listen to these people. They're telling you what they want you to wear. I've seen lots of shorts in the dining room especially on the first night.

I totally disagree with you except for the part about the first night. We have been on Mariner 3 times and other than the first and perhaps the last night, when people packed up their things, shorts were not allowed/seen in the dining room.

They aren't allowed anywhere at night except for the Windjammer. The Compass advises that shorts are not permitted at dinner.

Having said all that, just bring a pair of slacks that are comfortable for you to wear casual nights. You only need to wear them at dinner, then you can go back to your shorts etc.

Enjoy Mariner. It's hard not to.

Don't listen to these people. They're telling you what they want you to wear. I've seen lots of shorts in the dining room especially on the first night.

Even I have to disagree with you. Except for "surf night" on Freedom of the Seas, where shorts were recommended, I have never seen shorts in the dining room for dinner.

...shorts were not allowed/seen in the dining room.

They aren't allowed anywhere at night except for the Windjammer. The Compass advises that shorts are not permitted at dinner.

LOL what? They're allowed everywhere, anytime, EXCEPT the dining room at dinnertime and maybe Portofino's.

What if I want to go swimming at night? lol. I assume you meant they are not allowed in any of the dining rooms at night except the Windjammer? Cause shorts can be worn anywhere else on the ship at night.

The question was are they allowed. The answer is no.

Does it happen....yes......sometimes on first night if people didn't get the luggage. Other times when people try to get in and the maitre D doesn't stop them.

Some of us remember a time when you could not wear shorts after 5pm.....

The question was are they allowed. The answer is no.

Does it happen....yes......sometimes on first night if people didn't get the luggage. Other times when people try to get in and the maitre D doesn't stop them.

Some of us remember a time when you could not wear shorts after 5pm.....

That must have been before my time. But it would never make sense anymore. With all the added activities on cruise ships now, even those that go into the night, it would not make sense to say no shorts after 5:00 pm.

I can tell you he isn't planning on taking a jacket to wear on formal night. Didn't think that included no pants either.:eek:

LOL what? They're allowed everywhere, anytime, EXCEPT the dining room at dinnertime and maybe Portofino's.

I was talking about dinner. That's what this post was about. Sorry if I confused you. I know you can wear shorts on the ship, but to eat dinner in shorts, the only place you can go for a dinner is the WJ. You can't eat dinner in the dining room or the specialty restaurants in shorts.

goodtimes247, you may wear shorts and sandals to eat dinner on any night on the Mariner as long as you are in your cabin, having room service, or in the Windjammer buffet.

Not in the dining room.

So you CAN enjoy a Royal Caribbean cruise with no (LONG!) pants. (I hope that that's what you meant!!! :eek: ;) ) It will simply mean that you will not be having dinner in the Dining Room.

We had a table near the entrance of the Michelangelo dining room last week. Regardless of whether or not I think it is appropriate (I don't) these are some of the things I saw people coming into the dining room wearing:

Shorts (of all types.. including one guy in extra short, red, nylon, marathon, jogging shorts)

Blue Jeans

Overalls (with and without shirts underneath)

Baseball hats

Cowboy hats

sweatpants and a bikini top

Cheap rubber flip flops

Lots and lots of t-shirts and tank tops (complete with beer slogans and the like)

Not one of these people was turned away or questioned about their attire. Was it appropriate? Not in my opinion. Was it offensive? To some of us...Yes. Was it allowed? Absolutely.

Archived