Pre Cruise Hotel Ft. Lauderdale

parisbully

We will be flying in the night before for a Voyager cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. Even though it is only for the one night we would like a nice hotel close to the port. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale once before and did not think it was that important to get a nice room for just one night. Boy were we wrong. Stayed in a Days Inn or something and it was a dump. I wouldn't even walk on the carpet without my shoes on. Have now decided to spend the extra $$$ no matter how short the stay.

You might consider the Riverside Hotel on East Las Olas. It's not right by the port, perhaps a 15 minute cab ride, but it's right in the heart of a pretty district with lots of good restaurants and shops. We came in the evening before for a 4:00 p.m. sailing on Mariner this Spring, and were able to go out for a very nice late dinner and do some strolling around and last-minute shopping the next morning, with plenty of time to get to the ship. There are some big hotels nearer the port but the neighborhoods looked pretty boring -- shopping centers, strip malls and fast food chains. Our room at the Riverside (booked through a major online travel agency) was pretty reasonable and clean, although not terribly spacious, and the staff friendly and helpful.

Enjoy your cruise!

Our favorite FLL hotel to stay in the night before a cruise is the Hyatt Pier 66 in the new tower, close to the port and a view of the ships. The rooms have been remodeled and have balconies which is great. Nothing like waking up in the morning, walking out onto your balcony and seeing the Voyager docked waiting for you. We have always sucessfully bid and gotten it on priceline.com (you can pigeon hole your bidding to insure getting that hotel). I don't remember what we've paid but I believe it's in the $115. range.

If you want to start your trip in style, you may want to consider The Atlantic. It isn't "close" to the port, but it is a fabulous hotel with first class amenities and service - price in the $280-$300/night range. Location is right across from a lovely beach and the Trolley stops right across the street to get you down to Las Olas and the action or you can make a short walk down to Seville St. and pick up the water taxi for something different.

We stayed there last fall pre-cruise and it really set the stage for a wonderful week.

Have a great trip!

Rob

We stayed at Embassy Suites in March. It's close to both the airport and the port -- includes breakfast and has a complimentary shuttle service -- right to the ship. In addition to their restaurant, there is a nice pub across the street -- is also near a market, drug store, etc.

Last Christmas we stayed 2 nites before and 1 after our cruise at the Ft Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port Courtyard with our family. They have a shuttlle from the airport and a shuttle to the port. Great rooms and super staff. They are about 5 to 10 minutes from both.

Good casual seafood restaurant next door that is part of Bass Pro Shop which is fun to visit.

Our kids plane did not leave until 5 pm the day we arrived after the cruise. We were spending the night but they allowed our kids to store their luggage downstairs and then took them to the airport. Also had a room for us at 10 am when we got off the ship. We will always stay there on any future trips.

If you want to try something special, try the Pre-Cruise Package at the Pillars at New River Sound.

It is a small boutique hotel, I believe it is with the Leading Hotels of the World group.

Check it out on Trip Advisor to see some of the reviews, we did and we are so glad we stayed there.

The rooms are beautifully done and very comfortable. The pre-cruise package includes a nice bottle of wine in your room, breakfast the next morning (which we did dockside) and a ride via towncar to the ship.

The hotel is located right on the intercoastal and there is a Water Taxi stop right off their pier.

In addition to all that, we walked down the road a bit to have dinner the night we stayed there (I'm sorry I cannot remember the name of the little cafe) and I had the absolute best Chilean Sea Bass that I have ever had in my life.

It is a winner and a marvelous way to start a trip on the Voyager. We will stay there whenever we stay in Ft. Lauderdale.

We will be flying in the night before for a Voyager cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. Even though it is only for the one night we would like a nice hotel close to the port. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale once before and did not think it was that important to get a nice room for just one night. Boy were we wrong. Stayed in a Days Inn or something and it was a dump. I wouldn't even walk on the carpet without my shoes on. Have now decided to spend the extra $$$ no matter how short the stay.

After reading the comments on the East Coast Ports message board we tried Priceline and got the Renaissance Ft Lauderdale right near the port for way below the published price/weekend special etc

If you want to try something special, try the Pre-Cruise Package at the Pillars at New River Sound.

We decided to try the Pillars based on people's good recommendations here. The pictures on their website looked nice. We are taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale in early March. My husband called the Pillars for reservations. They would not take a reservation this far out, OR even quote him a price. They told him what date he was "allowed" to call back to make a reservation.

We won't be calling. We won't EVER be calling. We'll be here the night before our cruise:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllsb-harbor-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/

I've stayed at the Renaissance and the Hyatt Pier 66. Both are nice but Hyatt is better because of the balconies and pool area. The windows at the Renaissance do not open if that is important. Renaissance, Hyatt and Embassy Suites are all close to each other and close to the pier and restaurants.

The old Amersuites (dump ) on 17th st has been purchased by a division of Hyatt and will be called Hyatt Place. . They are re-doing every room, hallway an the lobby.

We booked for our April Mariner cruise and the pictures of Hyatt Place hotels in other cities lead me to believe that this hotel will be at a very high level.

We decided to try the Pillars based on people's good recommendations here. The pictures on their website looked nice. We are taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale in early March. My husband called the Pillars for reservations. They would not take a reservation this far out, OR even quote him a price. They told him what date he was "allowed" to call back to make a reservation.

We won't be calling. We won't EVER be calling. We'll be here the night before our cruise:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllsb-harbor-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/

Aloha Linda22003,

Just wanted to let you know that I just went on-line at the Pillars website and tried to make a reservation for March 2008. They had a choice of 10 different rooms, showing the rate, tax and amount of deposit required to make a reservation. You could make your reservation immediately and get a confirmation emailed to you. Here's the link if you are interested, http://66.240.79.26/iqreservations

As a matter of fact you could make reservations for as far out as 2009 if you so desired.

Sorry your husband had an issue with the phone call, but this really is a wonderful little hotel and anyone looking for something special should give it a try.

Just an FYI --- Here are their rates for the Pre-Cruise Package. Considering it includes transportation from the airport and then to the ship, as well as breakfast, it's a pretty sweet deal . . .

The package includes:

Luxury Superior Poolside room, private towncar transportation from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) airport to the hotel and to your ship prior to its departure, and continental breakfast for two.

Rates

Summer: $320.00 per room for the first night — additional nights at $210

Fall: $365.00 per room for the first night — additional nights at $255

Winter: $445.00 per room for the first night — additional nights at $330

Additional nights include continental breakfast for two. Rates are based on double occupancy and do not include gratuities.

Was reading your comments about the Pillars.

We were also looking for a place pre-cruise in Fll.

For a room both ends of our cruise from Manaus to

Fll. in Feb. Looks like a very nice place and the rate was good.

So thanks again and maybe we will take the Supper ferry

over to see you. HaHa

John & Christina

You are going to love it. Very low key, elegant and Island Style.

Being on the intercoastal is so cool. You can sit out in the evening, have a cocktail by the pool and watch all the boats and yachts go by.

It's a really fun way to start your trip (and end it), and you are right off of Las Olas Boulevard which is very much the "happening" place to be.

I'l love to hear what you thought of it when you return.

Aloha Linda22003,

Just wanted to let you know that I just went on-line at the Pillars website and tried to make a reservation for March 2008. They had a choice of 10 different rooms, showing the rate, tax and amount of deposit required to make a reservation. You could make your reservation immediately and get a confirmation emailed to you. Here's the link if you are interested, http://66.240.79.26/iqreservations

As a matter of fact you could make reservations for as far out as 2009 if you so desired.

Sorry your husband had an issue with the phone call, but this really is a wonderful little hotel and anyone looking for something special should give it a try.

Thank you for the information. Maybe next time. Since Regent only sails out of Ft.L. (:mad: ), we'll probably have another opportunity sometime. I can't complain about the Marriott Resort, though, since with our points we're getting a $450 room for $37.50. So things ultimately worked out just fine. ;)

Linda, RSSC used to run its Bermuda cruises out of NY and Norfolk. It was the same cruise--you could board and disembark out of either. You'd just join and leave the ship a day earlier if it was Norfolk. I did this (I too live in NoVA), but wound up leaving out of NY because for some odd reason it was cheaper. So, instead of driving to Norfolk, I took the train to NY.

Don't know if they still use NY and/or Norfolk, but you might want to check it out.

Linda, RSSC used to run its Bermuda cruises out of NY and Norfolk. ...Don't know if they still use NY and/or Norfolk, but you might want to check it out.

If I recall correctly, that's a fairly long cruise, and I think it's only out of FL now. It's something like 11 or 12 days. This isn't the best time in our lives for long cruises, but that time is coming! I've decided to earmark one small mutual fund for the "world cruise" when we retire. So far I can only afford to get us from Fort Lauderdale to Auckland! :D

When I did Bermuda, it was a 7-day cruise. But it was on Navigator, which has since been re-directed to wider travel.

I know what you mean about the longer cruises. I've been working on a world cruise account for a while now. Now it looks like I'll have the opportunity for a sabatical next year, and plan to use that account to do the Navigator's Discovery Cruise (82 nights, though I'm joining in the 2d segment, so it's 71 nights for me). Of course, that means I'll have to start over on the account to save for the post-retirement WC.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived