Abbreviations???

Efrain

This is probably the wrong forum, but I can't seem to find an appropriate one and I read this one mostly, so here it goes:

What's up with all the abbreviations - DH, DW, DD, DS, SIL, BIL, DIL etc, etc, etc? Is this something to reduce space? It could just be me, but it makes the post difficult to read, having to mentally translate these abbreviations into real words. And, if it is to save space, why do some of the same posters include signatures or tag lines, including their 47 past cruises and 16 future cruises, taking up to 10 inches of space, that I really don't believe anyone, other that the poster, really cares about.

Just a thought.

I think we like to use these abbreviations because it saves a lot of time on our part, plus I really don't think it takes that much time to read it with the abbreviations. How hard is it to say to yourself dear husband when you see DH?

Just ignore the ships and destinations, etc. if you don't like that sort of thing. :p

LOL -- (Laughing Out Loud)

IMHO (In My Honest Opinion) all the abbreviations are not so much to save space, as just to save wear and tear on typing fingers!

It seems we say the same thing so many times that it is just easier to abbrev. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

There are lots of lexicons on line that will give you the code. It is pretty easy. DW=Dear Wife, DH=Dear Hubby, DD, DS you can figure out ... MIL is the dreaded Mother In Law.

AIRC As I ReCall (yes, that one doesn't make sense)

ROFL Rolling on Floor Laughing

TIA Thanks in Advance

We could go on and on. Rarely do the abbrevs make much difference to the message.

HTH == Hope This Helps!:D

This is probably the wrong forum, but I can't seem to find an appropriate one and I read this one mostly, so here it goes:

What's up with all the abbreviations - DH, DW, DD, DS, SIL, BIL, DIL etc, etc, etc? Is this something to reduce space? It could just be me, but it makes the post difficult to read, having to mentally translate these abbreviations into real words. And, if it is to save space, why do some of the same posters include signatures or tag lines, including their 47 past cruises and 16 future cruises, taking up to 10 inches of space, that I really don't believe anyone, other that the poster, really cares about.

Just a thought.

Obviously, you don't text on your cell phone. Abbreviations save time and space. I personally, love to see where other posters have sailed to in case I have a question about a particular ship or cruise line. Are you having a bad day?

I read them constantly to decide on trends. You actually can tell a lot by them. It is useful to people who care about the opinions and experiences of others. I have found this site highly valuble in planning and enjoying fully my cruise experiences

.......What's up with all the abbreviations - DH, DW, DD, DS, SIL, BIL, DIL etc, etc, etc? Is this something to reduce space? It could just be me, but it makes the post difficult to read, having to mentally translate these abbreviations into real words. And, if it is to save space, why do some of the same posters include signatures or tag lines, including their 47 past cruises and 16 future cruises, taking up to 10 inches of space, that I really don't believe anyone, other that the poster, really cares about. Just a thought.

I think it is the same mentality that gave us "Smokey", "Breaker, Breaker" and "Ten-Four Good Buddy" during the CB craze. (by the way.......That is Citizens Band radio, not Caribbean Princess)

And, if it is to save space, why do some of the same posters include signatures or tag lines, including their 47 past cruises and 16 future cruises, taking up to 10 inches of space, that I really don't believe anyone, other that the poster, really cares about.

Personally, I love to see the past and future cruises listed that people have taken or will go on... it makes me very jealous and envious, which makes me work harder to make more money to go on more cruises! Now that’s what I call motivation!!

why do some of the same posters include signatures or tag lines, including their 47 past cruises and 16 future cruises, taking up to 10 inches of space, that I really don't believe anyone, other that the poster, really cares about.

Incidentally, do you know that your User Command Post, under the Edit Options link, allows you to choose whether you want to see avatars, sig files, and attached pictures? If you are bothered by all those lines, go set your options.

>:-)

Dip S___?

Haha, love that!

Really though, its not hard to figure out why people us abbreviations. Mostly to save time of typing them out. It is MUCH easier to say CB rather than Caribbean Princess, or My favorite is as follows:

PCIMFCL,CBIMFS

That translates to: Princess Cruises Is My Favorite Cruise Line, Caribbean Princess Is My Favorite Ship.

I am still waiting for it to catch on...

...IMHO (In My Honest Opinion)...

Actually, the true meaning of IMHO is In My Humble Opinion (used in lieu of IMO, In My Opinion; IMHO is used when desiring to avoid coming across as pushy).

Actually, the true meaning of IMHO is In My Humble Opinion (used in lieu of IMO, In My Opinion; IMHO is used when desiring to avoid coming across as pushy).

Oh, NO, never Humble in my case!!

Once in a while I use IMNSHO -- In My Not So Humble Opinion!!

>:-) <===== devilish grin

Oh, NO, never Humble in my case!!

Once in a while I use IMNSHO -- In My Not So Humble Opinion!!

>:-) <===== devilish grin

LMAO!!! Well OK then!

Shall we divulge the meaning of LMAO? At least I didn't use the other variation (LMFAO)! Hahahaha :D

What is BFF? Can't figure that one out.

Best Friends Forever. It's a tween thing (the things I'm learning from my ten-yr-old).:)

I like reading what cruises people have gone on or are anticipating. Sometimes I'm interested in a cruise listed and will ask the member about it. And sometimes people have asked about one of my cruises. As stated above, you can turn the siggy's off.

Aside from the fact that "Dear" husband, "Dear" daughter, etc. is pretty silly, most of you missed what I really considered my main point, the ridiculous lengthy signatures.

Aw, my DW and DD are both "Dears," not least because they put up with me!

And hey, a bunch of us responded to the sig thing! Almost everybody said they liked the long siggies. And at least two of us pointed out that you can turn them off if you want to.

What more do you want us to say?

Aside from the fact that "Dear" husband, "Dear" daughter, etc. is pretty silly, most of you missed what I really considered my main point, the ridiculous lengthy signatures.

Efrain

The lengthy signatures are in the posters profiles so they are a pemanent thing everytime the persons posts, they don't type it everytime they type a new post. Personally I don't read most signatures but now and again one will catch my eye of a posters previous cruise so I can ask them some info in that ship if I plan to sail on it. It's all a bit of fun.

Archived