Zip Tie Luggage

We "lock" our luggage with cable ties after packing. Then, we put a toe nail clipper and extra ties in a front pocket of one of the suitcases.

They've only been opened twice (at the airport in Long Beach CA and Nassau Bahamas during land trips) and I resealed them with one of the extra ties.

Zip tie at home. TSA will just cut them off if they want to inspect. Pack several extra ties in a front pouch (unlocked) of your checked baggage along with a fingernail clipper so you can get at them when you are at your destination. They don't prevent thefts, but you know if anyone was in your luggage and may be a deterent. At pre-cruise hotel we cut off and put new ones on for the cruise handling.

Karin

I took a "smart packing" class at a local TA office and they suggested the zip ties too. Don't forget the clippers in the outside pocket as mentioned above.

Wow, that sound like a neat class! I like the zip ties too, in addition to the TSA locks...I like things to be secure, LOL

I bought the "hot"pink, orange, lime green, "bright" yellow and blue packet of multi purpose ties. (I dont remember where but the packet says Thomas & Betts at the bottom of the label area. They are also listed as 8" catamount.There is a number-81900 under the T & B . I like these because the color is not easily duplicated on the spot, possibly discouraging amateur thieves. You will certainly know if anyone has removed the tie. You can also identify your luggage from others in the same group.

If you forget to pack your clippers in the pocket of your luggage you can use a pen. We have found you can put the pen in the loop and twist, it comes right apart. You can always find a pen in the cabin or hotel room.

I bought the "hot"pink, orange, lime green, "bright" yellow and blue packet of multi purpose ties. (I dont remember where but the packet says Thomas & Betts at the bottom of the label area. They are also listed as 8" catamount.There is a number-81900 under the T & B . I like these because the color is not easily duplicated on the spot, possibly discouraging amateur thieves. You will certainly know if anyone has removed the tie. You can also identify your luggage from others in the same group.

I got my mutli-color zip tie pack at the good 'ol Home Depot. Maybe 50 or 75 in a pack? Found them in the electical department. I use them for the same reason -- to know if someone has removed mine and replaced it with a "plain one.

- Ken

AA airlines actually told us that they perfer people use the zip ties. TSA has even put new ones on if they have opened our luggage.

Carrie

Actually, my luggage has been opened 3 times recently and it was not re-cable-tied (that's what I use)

I was curious, and I ran into a traveling TSA trainer...so I asked...he said the do not have to close it back up and in most cases will nt...so if they DO recable-tie it for you, you must have had a nice person!!! Just an fyi!

I just checked our Samsonite luggage we use for cruises (You Know - the 'real' solid suitcases) and they are about 20 inches wide by 10 inches deep - that means I need a 60 inch tie!! I'm into Home Depot more often than I like (often for electrical as well as other items) and I have Never seen a lock-tie or Zip-tie that long! Am I missing something?? Oh yes, each suitcase has a lever lock on each side plus a center lock and a single strong handle to carry it. (When I bought our sets they had not yet thought about putting wheels on suitcases!!) I use the TSA straps - but Zip-ties?? Please explain how you do it!

Here is why I put zip ties on my bags. I only do it when we put our bags in the hallway on the last night. It is a simple way for someone to stash drugs in your bag over night and use you as a MULE. Either the dogs will catch it before the bags on put on the belt, or the smuggler will follow you to retrieve the drugs. Just my thought on it:)

I just checked our Samsonite luggage we use for cruises (You Know - the 'real' solid suitcases) and they are about 20 inches wide by 10 inches deep - that means I need a 60 inch tie!! I'm into Home Depot more often than I like (often for electrical as well as other items) and I have Never seen a lock-tie or Zip-tie that long! Am I missing something?? Oh yes, each suitcase has a lever lock on each side plus a center lock and a single strong handle to carry it. (When I bought our sets they had not yet thought about putting wheels on suitcases!!) I use the TSA straps - but Zip-ties?? Please explain how you do it!

They won't work on hard cases. Maybe on your next set with rollers and zippers. :)

I did not even think about the newer style bags with zippers! Seems to me that since the ones we use have served us well since 1986, and will most likely be used to ship our 'stuff' to the kids after we are long gone, I'll pass on the Zip-Tie trick!! :D I'd really like to have a traditional 'steamer trunk' for my cruises, but it would most likely exceed the airline maximum weight EMPTY!! (Now perhaps IF I take the train....???)

We have been using zip-ties for about 10yrs now. Once TSA inspections started we have still been using them and if our bags are opened they have been replaced. I especially want my bags secured when boarding/leaving the ship. They are cheap and simple to use. Don't forget to pack extras for the return trip.

Bev

Zip tie at home. TSA will just cut them off if they want to inspect. Pack several extra ties in a front pouch (unlocked) of your checked baggage along with a fingernail clipper so you can get at them when you are at your destination. They don't prevent thefts, but you know if anyone was in your luggage and may be a deterent. At pre-cruise hotel we cut off and put new ones on for the cruise handling.

Karin

I couldn't agree more with Badgertr! I keep a toe-nail clipper in my carry-on with me, along with enough extras for at least 4 times Do not forget to use them the last night of the cruise, when you have to put your luggage outside your door.

I always use colored zip ties when I fly. You will know if they opened your bags.

I have always put a regular pair of scissors in the outside pouch of a bag that gets checked in.

The airports do not remove scissors, knives, etc, unless it is in carry on luggage. And I dont see why a cruise ship would stop you either.

You are better off with the toe-nail clipper on your carry-on. What if you only get one suitcase and the rest hours later (this happened to us), and the item you need to cut the tie is in one of the bags you did not get yet? At least you can open the one bag and put the stuff away.

Archived