If you own an IPHONE and take it on a cruise.....Please read!

Sue L

If everybody just left their phones at home they wouldn't have to worry about overseas charges....somehow we managed a decade ago when almost no one had a cell phone at sea.....

just a thought..........

If you apply this logic, we might all as well be back on the Titanic or Lusitania. We all understand that some of you are opposed to cell phones at sea. For some of us, who use our phones respectfully, they have become a corporate mainstay and people are used to us being available in that manner, and they actually enable use to go on cruises and make the most of our time off.

If you apply this logic, we might all as well be back on the Titanic or Lusitania. We all understand that some of you are opposed to cell phones at sea. For some of us, who use our phones respectfully, they have become a corporate mainstay and people are used to us being available in that manner, and they actually enable use to go on cruises and make the most of our time off.

I agree - especially when you are self-employed people must be able to reach you as you have very little back up. I always need to stay in touch but have thankfully never had to spend too much time on work related issues.

My Iphone has grown on me though - still trying to think of way to take with me.... but not for the Ipod only. I'll take something smaller if I just want music.

Patrick-

I hardly see the validity of your analogy of leaving cell phones at home to the Lusitania and Titanic. They were both a bit longer than a decade ago.

No matter, I realize full well that I lose this argument hands down. Sad though one of THE best things about being at sea is being away from it all, which for me partly anyway, means NOT having to answer the phone.

I too have a business and remain in contact via E-Mail. If all cell phone users were tactful and considerate about their use I wouldn't care but when I encountered basic banal "chit-chat" occuring frequently and phones ringing on deck on my last cruise it was, to say the least, NOT pleasant. Ah well, have yet to encounter a "talker" while in a public restroom at sea, a frequent occurrence on land, so I guess there are still areas that are safe.....

Too bad that so many feel the need to be constantly in touch with the world these days.....

As I said, I realize I lose this argument so no need to tell me all the different reasons why one just can not live without a phone for a week or so....

I will continue to do so, suspect there are at least a few others who will too....

To each his own.....but PLEASE keep the things on VIBRATE for the rest of us!!:D :D

Patrick-

I hardly see the validity of your analogy of leaving cell phones at home to the Lusitania and Titanic. They were both a bit longer than a decade ago.

There is absolutely a bit of hyperbole in my comment to make a point... :)

No matter, I realize full well that I lose this argument hands down. Sad though one of THE best things about being at sea is being away from it all, which for me partly anyway, means NOT having to answer the phone.

I didn't really think of this an as argument. There's not really anything to win or lose. It's just an exchange of ideas and informaton. You're going to do what works for you, and I'm going to do wwhat works for me.

I too have a business and remain in contact via E-Mail. If all cell phone users were tactful and considerate about their use I wouldn't care but when I encountered basic banal "chit-chat" occuring frequently and phones ringing on deck on my last cruise it was, to say the least, NOT pleasant. Ah well, have yet to encounter a "talker" while in a public restroom at sea, a frequent occurrence on land, so I guess there are still areas that are safe.....

Too bad that so many feel the need to be constantly in touch with the world these days.....

As I said, I realize I lose this argument so no need to tell me all the different reasons why one just can not live without a phone for a week or so....

I will continue to do so, suspect there are at least a few others who will too....

To each his own.....but PLEASE keep the things on VIBRATE for the rest of us!!:D :D

The thing I find frustrating about posts like this is that they all devolve into ettiquette discussions and peoples' opinons about what others should do and how they should do it. You raise very valid points about usage; I just think they fit better in a post about ettiquette. This is a post about iPhones and the charges that come with using them at sea. But those with an ax to grind will always find an opportunity. :)

I agree. Consumer ignorance is no excuse. If they didn't want to read the agreement I would think they would have called and asked about charges outside of the US.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Sue...:)

We do not have I -phones, I always read terms of service, we did call our cell carrier prior to going to Europe, we still had some shock upon our return. We were told one rate for Europe, unfortunately that person was incorrect. But that really wasn't a big issue. Our bigger suprise came from our trip to Panama and the nice charges we incurred for the auto-messages we received everytime we entered a new carriers coverage, etc. This was only one one phone, which has internet capabilities( which is what the problem was, even though the phone was off, it allowed data transfers).

ALthough I do believe as consumers we have responsibilities and must have common sense, I believe alot of people would think if the phone is off, no problem. And I beg to differ, but consumer ignorance has translated into "neglience by a company" in many a courtroom. Read all the warning labels ( coffee is hot and will cause burns), results of court cases, etc.

And this is a public forum that anyone can comment on, but I'm out of here since I don't own an I-Pod and never will. Have other, better things to do than read about cell phones. Y'all have fun now.:rolleyes:

It is public but you are not supposed to go off topic.

I bought an iphone yesterday. I had to make a change to my plan so I went directly to the AT&T store on the way home. I asked the tech who helped me about what I read on this thread. He told me.......all you have to do is turn your phone off. Just don't turn it on if you don't want the added charges. I told him I did not think that was correct......another employee came up and corrected him. I am glad I read about the possiblity of racking up charges even if the phone is off on here. Thanks to the OP for starting this informative thread! :D

It is public but you are not supposed to go off topic.

I would say this is a privately run forum with public access. When you register you agree to operate under the Terms of Service.

I bought an iphone yesterday. I had to make a change to my plan so I went directly to the AT&T store on the way home. I asked the tech who helped me about what I read on this thread. He told me.......all you have to do is turn your phone off. Just don't turn it on if you don't want the added charges. I told him I did not think that was correct......another employee came up and corrected him. I am glad I read about the possiblity of racking up charges even if the phone is off on here. Thanks to the OP for starting this informative thread! :D

Here is the biggest problem, no one selling any of these devices really knows all the little details that you really need to know. They can show you all the cool features but that is about it.

I would say this is a privately run forum with public access. When you register you agree to operate under the Terms of Service.

Here is the biggest problem, no one selling any of these devices really knows all the little details that you really need to know. They can show you all the cool features but that is about it.

Actually, the problem IMO is buying an iPhone in an ATT store. By it in an Apple store and there's plenty of knowledgable help.

I agree. Consumer ignorance is no excuse. If they didn't want to read the agreement I would think they would have called and asked about charges outside of the US.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Sue...:)

If you call & ask - & get the wrong info - which you usually do - they won't go good for giving the wrong info as you should have read the agreement & you don't have WRITTEN proof of what you were told etc... been there done that. BUY A TRAC PHONE - load it with time & try to use it where ever you are. Sometimes it works some places it doesn't. Any where near the States it's worked for me - all the way up the east coast & into Canada. What does it work out to - 13 cents a minute? & no surprise bills!

Re: Sue - yes - turn off the wireless part of your blackberry, and you can still use it for calls. Do not turn on wireless until you are back on land, off the ship, in Miami, or wherever you are sailing out of. if you use it on the ship, you will accrue ship rates.

RE: the people saying we lived without cell a decade ago, why not not. And about people being rude and using their cell phones on the pool area and stuff.

I have three children that are going to be in the states while I am gone. Are you suggesting that I should not worry if there is an emergency?? Should I just forget about them for a week? I don't sit aimlessly on my cell phone the whole time I am on a cruise. As a matter of fact, I let everyone know that I am available for emergencies on. If I can have a call come through for regular rates, rather than $7.99/minute, and it is important, why wouldn't I opt for that route??? And don't tell me I should have my kids with me - it is during school, and children don't ALWAYS have to go everywhere.

Also, I own my own business - I own it, run it and take care of payroll and everything. Should everyone that is self-employed never be allowed to go on vacation because they have a business? Should I not be able to keep in touch if need be???

I agree, I think alot of people can be rude with their cell phones, and it is out of control sometimes. But don't lump everyone that has to bring a cell phone on a cruise into one basket - some of us HAVE to have them with. And me being on my phone if need be won't be an inconvenience to you because I do my best to be respectful. I do put it on vibrate if that helps you not be inconvenienced.

I'm heading on the 24th November Liberty Eastern Sailing - I'm a Brit and I imported my Iphone from the States to the UK, unlocked it myself, now use it with whatever carrier I see fit and if I was worried about the charges mentioned in the Newspaper article I'd turn Edge off whilst on vacation? Problem solved.

PS > I love my Iphone!

Thanks for the info on the BB.

Again...I have found this thread very informative, and thanks to those that took the time to post their info. I am sure it has saved alot of people alot of dollars !

Sue

Actually, the problem IMO is buying an iPhone in an ATT store. By it in an Apple store and there's plenty of knowledgable help.

Do they even sell them at the AT&T stores? I bought mine at the Apple store and went to the AT&T store on the way home to change my PDA plan to the iphone plan. I am always amazed at how many of employees don't have a clue when it comes to answering questions from a customer. I had an issue where I own a small business and have a plan with 4 cell phones on the plan. After researching the iphone I saw where it states business accounts cannot use the iphone.

I called and spoke to a young man at AT&T business accounts specifically asking if I were to get an iphone could I use it even though my phones are billed to my 'business.' After speaking with his supervisor he informed me that that only applies to 'large corporations' and would not apply to my plan.

I go to the apple store. Again, ask to be sure. Not a problem.

Stop by AT&T with the unopened phone and ask again. They pull up my plan, make the plan change for my internet service and say.......you are all set! Just go home and activate your phone.

I couple minutes into the activation a screen pops up saying I am a business customer and cannot use the iphone. Over an hour later I got it straightened out (they moved my plan to a personal plan and waived all fees) and assured me everything else would remain the same on my plan....I specifically asked that we would still have the family unlimited text messaging. I was told Yes maam, you will.

Next morning kids get home from school and I asked them to text me so I could see a text come thru on my new phone, and their phones say....you do not have access to this function! Ended up calling and was told I couldn't have a text plan for the other phones if my main phone was an iphone so I ended up driving to the AT&T store and explained the situation......and the guy put the unlimited text back on my plan. The girl I talked to on the phone at AT&T didn't know what she was talking about.

All that trouble just to get it hooked up....only to find it won't download the music I bought. The internet was working fine as it should, and then I can't download music. Call support. After more than an hour and doing 2 complete resets we got the music to go thru. An hour or so later I went to show my son in law the cool features.......and the weather wouldn't come up. No internet. Again try everything I can think of (laptop worked with my wireless connection) and call support and am on the phone another hour and a half........when he finally says......we have exhausted all options......you need to return your phone.

My luck sucks.

If everybody just left their phones at home they wouldn't have to worry about overseas charges....somehow we managed a decade ago when almost no one had a cell phone at sea.....

just a thought..........

I'm not addicted to always having my cell phone available. However, I will be bringing my cell phone with me on my next cruise. I would love to leave it at home, but my sister and I will be driving from Philly to Bayonne in mid March, 2009 for our cruise. If the phone was left home, it wouldn't be available for use in an emergency.

This link to the AT&T support page tells you how to avoid international data charges:

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/knowledgeBase.do?content=KB84199.html

Just announced today from AT&T, iPhone International Data plans. If you do need international data these should help. One plan is $24.99 a month and another is $59.99 in 29 countries. You can sign up before you travel and drop it when you come back.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp?WT.svl=title#iphone-international

Archived