Do women still wear slips under dresses?

klct39lg

The reason I ask is that I saw a commericial the other day for some laundry aid. The gist of it being one could toss their dress into the dryer to refresh it, and then wear it out for the evening. In this commercial the lady took off her dress, tossed it in the dryer. She stood there in her full slip as the dress tumbled in the dryer.

I remember my Grandmother always wore a full slip under her dresses; dressy or everyday. When I was a girl, I wore a slip under my dresses.

Other than for modesty under a sheer dress, what was/is the purpose?

To keep the garment clean longer?

A smoother fit?

The ladylike thing to do?

Maybe it's because I had older parents (I'm still - barely - in my 30's and they'd be at least 80 if still alive), but IMHO, modesty has always been enough of a reason to wear a slip - or at least a half-slip, whether the dress is considered "sheer" or not. I also think that it does smooth a gal out, especially if wearing panty hose. Clingyness, and all that rot...

I'm 60, and yes it is a modesty issue. A lady doesn't show her crotch in a a see through skirt or a mini skirt either. If you stand in the light, you see a lot more than just legs.

I have half slips, and I do have a camisole top to wear under sheer blouses. I don't have full slips anymore, although did wear them when in high school. If the skirt or dress is heavy enough material, I have gone without a slip, but usually do wear one. Even for my long gowns on the ship for formal night, I have ankle length slips.

Just old fashioned modesty.

I haven't worn a slip on more than 20 years as well. Truth be told, I have a dress where I can't wear anything because I didn't want any type of a line showing through the dress:eek: . The dress wasn't see through and it felt great although I don't make a habit of that.

Im in my twenties and I wear a slip all the time with dresses and skirts that dont already have a slip in them. I wear a half slip for my skirts and dresses. I like to wear them because I dont want people seeing through my dress and because it hides my underwear line. It's a habit to wear one. I also wear camisoles under my tops when needed.

Actually think that comfort under a dress is what drives me to either wear one or not. Mine are half slips and I will wear one depending on the fabric of the dress. Sometimes with sheer materials the dress sticks to your behind after sitting on something made from vinyl, especially on a hot day in Arizona! In a case like this, I think they are useful.

In the commercial, I'm sure it was on the model so that she wasn't standing there in bra and panties.

I recently bought a black lace dress that came with it's own black slip but I consider it more of a 2 pc outfit. And I have some silk camisoles that I wear with sheer blouses. But I don't wear slips with skirts. If the skirt is see through they come with an attached lining.

I've never bought a full slip in a lingerie department and it's been over 15 years since I bought a half slip. Actually, I still have the last one I ever bought, with the tags still attached. It's too pretty to toss, it's gold colored silk satin with purple lace all around the hem. Maybe I'll wait another 5 years and sell it on Ebay as a vintage piece, NWT! (new with tags) :D

It's kind of like asking if you wear pantyhose. If the dress calls for pantyhose then, yes, I will wear them. But I'll do my darndest not to!

I have a full slip that is long a shorter full slip and a half slip and will wear them if I should, meaning if it improves the look of the dress or skirt. I really prefer a lined garment so I don't have to, though. If the garment is of a fabric that will cling, or too see through, I would not be comfortable wearing those things without a slip.

Slips sure are harder to find these days :p

Yes I do if my skirt or dress is see-through in certain light. Only a half slip though. I agree that clothes do hang better with a slip also.

I still remember the pictures of Princess Diana when the paparazzi were after her before her marriage to Charles. She was wearing a see-through skirt and no slip......wasn't very becoming, especially for a future Princess.:o

I wear them when I need to! Once, I was trying on a top and skirt (a dark colored 'broomstick' style) and my roommate tried to convince me I didn't need a slip, until I stepped out of the bathroom and into the sunlight in the kitchen...then she changed her mind pretty quickly! Even if the color was dark enough, I'd still wear a slip with that skirt - just in case the wind got under it!

Seeing that commercial got me to thinking about slips and brought up memories….my grandma in her slip putting talcum powder on her shoulders… my mom sitting in her slip putting on her makeup and doing her hair. I remember them asking me when they were all dressed up; “My slip isn't showing is it?”

I have not worn one for years, but I think that it would have made the difference in the fit and look of a dress I bought last fall. The dress was a very delicate rust silk, it was so insubstantial that I could fold the whole thing up and put in the pocket of my jeans. Even though it was lined, I still felt like it was sheer. I would have been chilled to the bone in a dining room. Had I thought of it, the added layer of a slip would have done the trick, and it would have kept me warmer. Sadly, I returned the dress.

fe_2.JPG

I still love this dress!!!

P.S.

Now if the woman in the commercial had been a Victoria’s Secret model, she would have certainly been standing there waiting on the dryer in her unmentionables!

P.S.

Now if the woman in the commercial had been a Victoria’s Secret model, she would have certainly been standing there waiting on the dryer in her unmentionables!

LOL! I think you were right, but they must have had a wider target market for their product than VS models (and drooling men!).

Such a nice dress...I'd say look for it again! You might be able to find it!

P.S. My sister usually has her little girls wear bike shorts under their dresses - no matter what the fabric is like!

Modesty for me but if my momma wasn't in a few million pieces in two different cemetaries she might would come back and spank me if I did not wear one when I am supposed to.:eek: I am teaching my 8yo to wear one when the need arises and yes she wore one on our cruise.

I have worn a slip before, especially if the fabric is clingy. But I don't understand why people say it has to do with modesty and that you can see the outline of their legs. :confused: What about when you are wearing shorts or pants? You can definitely see the outline of your legs then. It's not the 1700's. Not trying to flame anyone or anything, but I really don't understand this.

I can see where you would want a slip if there is cling because the fabric looks smoother and hangs better, IMO. But I don't understand what modesty has to do with it. Maybe I am immoral or something? :D I hope not!

I have worn a slip before, especially if the fabric is clingy. But I don't understand why people say it has to do with modesty and that you can see the outline of their legs. :confused: What about when you are wearing shorts or pants? You can definitely see the outline of your legs then. It's not the 1700's. Not trying to flame anyone or anything, but I really don't understand this.

I can see where you would want a slip if there is cling because the fabric looks smoother and hangs better, IMO. But I don't understand what modesty has to do with it. Maybe I am immoral or something? :D I hope not!

Hi,

My grandma always, always wore a slip. So, when I was little she made me wear one also. Later, I wore half slips if my dress wasn't lined. I have not worn a full slip for a very long time, and until I saw the commercial I had forgotten about them.

As the OP, I was just wondering whether or not women still wore them and if there was a definitive purpose.

No judgements here, just curious.:)

Hi,

My grandma always, always wore a slip. So, when I was little she made me wear one also. Later, I wore half slips if my dress wasn't lined. I have not worn a full slip for a very long time, and until I saw the commercial I had forgotten about them.

As the OP, I was just wondering whether or not women still wore them and if there was a definitive purpose.

No judgements here, just curious.:)

I'm not trying to judge either, hope it came across the right way! :o

This is an interesting thread! :)

Archived