Cozumel is going to be SO CROWDED!!

hockeymom97

After I heard that we'd be visiting Cozumel instead of Costa Maya, I checked cruisecal to see how many other ships are in port that day (11/20) and there's already 5 other ships listed :( Our ship hasn't even been updated/added to the cruisecal site, so including our ship there will be 6 ships in port! And I'm assuming since our ship hasn't been added, there could be others missing from cruisecal as well. I'm hoping cruisecal is wrong :rolleyes: How many ships can you cram in at once - geez!

We were planning on heading over to Paradise Beach but why do I have a feeling it's going to be just way too packed!?? :(

Ha ha ha ha ha! YOU ARE DEAD RIGHT! Ships will be stacked like firewood at the end of the day, and for God's sake don't rent a car--or think about it--even in advance! This is the day to engage a taxi--quickly--and tell the driver what you want--or what he would recommend, considering--he will know where to hide you for a wonderful day, and he will come back and pick you up in time to weave you safely through the exit traffic if you ask him to!

Don't forget to tip well, as he will be doing you some BIG favors! :D

As to "how many ships can you cram in at once"--as ANY Port Authority will tell you all over the world, "You can cram them ALL in!" There's money in them High Seas!

I was thinking the same thing. We were supposed to be the only ship in Costa Maya and who knows how many will be in Coz. Right now, only 3 are listed. But....that does not include our ship. So, there may be others too. Oh well. I just hope we get there 1st:D

Nope - definitely not going to try and rent a car. We were planning on taking a taxi, but I'm just a little disappointed - my DS was really looking forward to all of the water toys at PB but I don't think I'm up for a day of being packed in like sardines :eek: From what I can see on these boards Paradise Beach is quite a popular place to go.

Besides asking our taxi driver, does anyone else have recommendations for where to go in Cozumel? Just looking for a relaxing day at the beach with some watersports (parasailing or waverunners maybe?).

What am I doing wrong....we will be in Cozumel instead of Costa Maya on Monday Oct 1st......I went to the main calendar and I see nothing for our date........and yours is way into Nov?????

I have done a lot of work investigating web sites for Cozumel since last week when we found out where we were going....

Excellent site is: www.cozumelinsider.com

They list taxi fares, very good maps, a list a all beaches with charges, facilities etc............

What am I doing wrong....we will be in Cozumel instead of Costa Maya on Monday Oct 1st......I went to the main calendar and I see nothing for our date........and yours is way into Nov?????

I have done a lot of work investigating web sites for Cozumel since last week when we found out where we were going....

Excellent site is: www.cozumelinsider.com

They list taxi fares' date=' very good maps, a list a all beaches with charges, facilities etc............[/color']

You're not doing anything wrong - both gypsyrose and myself stated that our ships are NOT listed on the cruisecal site. And that was what we aere getting at - we both know that we're in Cozumel that day, even tho our ships aren't listed - so who knows how many others could be in port the same day as well and just aren't listed yet. I think 6 ships (maybe more) in port at once is just too many!

But thank you for posting the link - I'll definitely take a look and maybe can find something else to do besides PB.

One of the best things to do when there are over 5 ships in port is go to the clubs farthest from the ships. We went to Playa Palancar when there were 6 or 7 ships in port and had a good day. Most people showed up around 10:00 and left around 2:00. There are several other clubs here so just google a little and take a taxi.

We were in Coz in July. There were only 3 other ships that day - at 2 different piers. We booked with Heather @ www.aventurasnaturalascozumel.com

She was wonderful. We had 2 jeeps - she drove one and my DH drove the other. We had 5 kids with us. She took us to places that were very scarcely populated - El Cedral (a minor Mayan ruin and shopping place), snorkelling at an off the beaten path place, a few spectacular beaches on the wild east side - only one good for swimming. Also had a drink at a funky little beach side bar. However, there were no water sports, as you would get at a more popular beach - but that was the beauty of it - there were maybe 3 other people and a lifeguard. Then lunch at a local place. She was very accommodating and we saw a side of the island few people see. It was terrific if you are trying to avoid the crowds.!:)

I've been in Cozumel with 5 ships before. It is quite crowded but manageble. Just get up early and head out to one of the beautiful beaches. You can't go wrong!! We always head back to the ship several hours before we leave the port to avoid all the lines. Just have a couple margaritas and enjoy!

I have seen as many as nine ships in cozumel in the past... I would keep checking cruisecal and it will get updated.. I would also keep your plans to visit Paradise Beach as it is not A ship sponsored excursion. If Paradise is too busy you can walk right next door to San Fran or Carlos and Charlies beach club, and still enjoy the water toys at PB... :)

A taxi driver in Cozumel told me that the most ships he has seen in 1 day was 14 (yes multiple were anchored and tendering). This should put it all in perspective that 6 ships is far from the maximum that this port can handle. I have been there when 10 ships were listed, so 6 is not as bad as you think.

• 1 month later...

Most of the people will take trips offered by the cruise line and I have Never not been able to rent some type of car ever. For the most part, people are afraid to rent a car and drive in Mexico. Unless, you need a Van and when it's going to be real busy, I think that some of the taxi drivers rent them to make extra money.

When it's busy, the bad thing is the taxis tend to charge a few extra bucks.

I see only our ship in port on our day, lucky us. But then cruisecal.com doesn't seem too great at adding ships with itineraries change, so who knows what the situation will really be!

I agree - and that's the only thing that still concerns me. When I originally panicked, I think there were 6 other ships listed as being in port the same day - and at the time I knew that there was at least one more scheduled to be there the same day but wasn't listed on cruisecal at all. And this wasn't that long after Costa Maya got wiped out, so I was thinking it was possible that even more shipped could be re-routed as well and who knows how many would end up in Cozumel. But now that things have calmed down a little from Dean, it seems like the cruise lines were better able to re-route their ships so no one port is getting slammed. So I've got my fingers crossed that cruisecal is close to being accurate :confused:

Archived