Renting Tuxes on Princess

jckvpa0

Just looking for some info. from people who have rented tuxes. Were you happy with the quality ? Were there different styles you can choose from? I have heard you can go to a local rental in your area and they take your measurements, places don't mind doing that for you when your not renting with them, do they charge a fee ?

Thanks for any info !!!

DH has always ordered the tux through cruiselineformal.com which is in the Princess book. The tux will be in the room almost at arrival and comes with 2 shirts. You can rent the shoes and buy the socks. Many styles to choose from.

We always take the measurements ourselves - pretty much what suit size you wear. On occasion, the pants or jacket did not fit and you just tell the room stewart and he will take care of getting you the right size.

Cost for the tux is approx $85, shoes $12. Comes with black cummerband, bow tie and cufflinks. (socks $6) It's so easy to rent and not have to take up the room in your suitcase to bring your own.

Check out the website and make your decision.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe you can tell me, my dresses will be dry cleaned before we go but there is no way they are going to arrive without wrinkles. Can I send them down just to be pressed ? I don't think I want to trust them with drycleaning !

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe you can tell me, my dresses will be dry cleaned before we go but there is no way they are going to arrive without wrinkles. Can I send them down just to be pressed ? I don't think I want to trust them with drycleaning !

Yes, they do have a pressing service. If you put your dresses in dry cleaner bags, they won't wrinkle.

sue

I've rented a tux from cruiseline formal twice now and both times have turned out great. And yes, I went to a local formalware store who gladly took my measurements. I'm glad I did that because the person in the store had quite a few tips to get a better fit from a rented tux, all of which worked well. I was told all formal stores do this as a courtesy to each other, and there was no charge.

And Ralphie, where does one purchase a decent quality pair of new shoes for $12? Please don't say Payless - I said quality shoes :D

I've rented a tux from cruiseline formal twice now and both times have turned out great. And yes, I went to a local formalware store who gladly took my measurements. I'm glad I did that because the person in the store had quite a few tips to get a better fit from a rented tux, all of which worked well. I was told all formal stores do this as a courtesy to each other, and there was no charge.

And Ralphie, where does one purchase a decent quality pair of new shoes for $12? Please don't say Payless - I said quality shoes :D

Maybe you can tell me, my dresses will be dry cleaned before we go but there is no way they are going to arrive without wrinkles. Can I send them down just to be pressed ?
Yes, they do have a pressing service. If you put your dresses in dry cleaner bags, they won't wrinkle.
I've also heard that of you wrap it in tissue paper, it shouldn't wrinkle.

I rented for my last cruise and was very happy with the service. It was actually less to rent on the ship than to rent for a day or two locally with a special event.

I went to Men's Warehouse and they filled in the order form with the appropriate measurements.

To add an extra special touch ordered a boutonnière from the on board florist. Looked great in the pictures and a lot of people wanted to know where I got it.

I have rental ux for my husband several tmes on Princess and other cruise lihnes. Never a problem for s the issue is not aboput the tux as much as weight allowance with the airlines. Especially if the flight is international and you are lgging luggage about Euorpe. One thing ... if ordering for an cruise which starts in a foreign port, you would want to order in Advance. I have been told that supplies can be limited and not all sizes will be available close tto sailing date.

Yup, we've rented through Cruislineformal 6 times now, and have been pretty pleased with the service. We usually rent the "double package" with the extra white dinner jacket. It think it comes to $120 total. And, as mentioned above, the convenience of having it all in your cabin when you arrive and leaving it there when you leave is wonderful (leaving all the more room in your luggage for souvenirs.) :D

This past cruise was really the only time we've had any problem, but it was remedied by our room steward immediately (to the best of his ability.) My pants were the wrong size, and we each had one shirt where the button placket was pretty yellowed from age/use/laundering. But, we called our steward who immediately brought his supervisor to our room. The brought me a new pair of pants and new shirts in about 7 minutes. The pants were perfect, and the shirts were better.

Unfortunately, because this cruise left from Tahiti, they had limited access to new shirts. I don't really blame them, and no one really seemed to notice. Though, if (dreaming here) I were to do a Tahitian cruise again in the future, I might consider bringing my own shirts at least. I'd still rent the tux, though.

And I want to reiterate that, this problem with the shirts was a rare exeption in my experience. On our previous 5 cruises, everything was perfect.

Happy cruising! :)

I cruise at least 2X a year and I own my tux. You can buy one that fits you at many men's outlet stores for under $200 and shirts for around $30. I don't like wearing something someone else wore before. If it doesn't bother you try a formal rental store and they seem to have sales on previously used tux for less than a $100.

I cruise at least 2X a year and I own my tux. You can buy one that fits you at many men's outlet stores for under $200 and shirts for around $30. I don't like wearing something someone else wore before. If it doesn't bother you try a formal rental store and they seem to have sales on previously used tux for less than a $100.

You're absolutely right about your own tux fitting better and being a better value, especially if you're going to wear one more than once a year. But, for us, the convenience and extra luggage space afforded by the rental trumps the value of owning for cruising purposes. It's a trade off, granted, but it's worked well for us.

I rented on the Diamon last summer (Vancouver to Whittier) even though I own a regular tux and an off white dinner jacket. Not only did I not have to worry about whether my own gear would still fit after cruise food, but didn't have to lug it to the dry cleaners or pack it, the latter being the main consideration. We arre trying to downsize luggage because of airline restrictions. Only problem I encounter was that the suspenders (braces) were missing buttons, so were unusable, and the shoes were missing the room steward spoke with his supervisor, who told him to tell me to take it up with the purser's desk. Everyone at the purser's desk was completely incompetent on this and several other issues, so I gave up. I did receive a refund on my credit card for these two items, having left a note on the jacket when I left it for return. Moral of the story: once aboard ship, you may have limited ability to have adjustments made, so be prepared. Fortunately I brought some suspenders (braces for you UK folks) and had some shoes which were servicable. The buttons included are cheap plastic, and I have a nice set, and brought my own custom made nautical vest. It all worked out ok, but if you get nervous about this kind of stuff and have your own gear, you have to weigh (pun intended) the convenience factor.

What makes you think it inappropriate? I wore mine in the Caribbean and on the West Coast to Vancouver. There are no tux police on board contrary to what you might ascertain from some of our CC threads on this very topic.

I'm not sure at what parallel of latitude it is apropriate to change, but on the Coral, crew changed from salts to their peppers northbound out of SFO.

Ciao for now!!!

Well in northeast you really don't where white after labor day. When we went to Bermuda in Oct. people were not wearing floral prints. I understand Bermuda is not the Caribbean I was just wondering if my dh wore a white dinner jacket would be pushing it?

Archived