Fashionably late ...or just plain rude!

p0mpey

I am sure this has been discussed many times in the past but I couldn't just let it go without commenting on it.

We have just returned from a cruise and we had a table right by the entrance on the third level. We could not believe how late people turned up for dinner. The table next to us were an hour late one night (9:30)and we saw many, many people (wearing jeans ;) ) walking in at least 40 or 50 minutes late. I asked our server whether the head waiter said anything to them and she said that he had done so but it didn't appear to make any difference. She also told us that the people on our table had not arrived until 7:00 to the early sitting (6.00) which of course really messes up with them getting everything ready for the late sitting. We felt that they should be told that they are too late to be served but obviously they don't. To add insult to injury the people next to us, on the night they were an hour late, didn't like what they were served (lamb) and as we were leaving we heard them ask for macaroni and cheese to be made for them. Amazing!

I am sure this has been discussed many times in the past but I couldn't just let it go without commenting on it.

We have just returned from a cruise and we had a table right by the entrance on the third level. We could not believe how late people turned up for dinner. The table next to us were an hour late one night (9:30)and we saw many, many people (wearing jeans ;) ) walking in at least 40 or 50 minutes late. I asked our server whether the head waiter said anything to them and she said that he had done so but it didn't appear to make any difference. She also told us that the people on our table had not arrived until 7:00 to the early sitting (6.00) which of course really messes up with them getting everything ready for the late sitting. We felt that they should be told that they are too late to be served but obviously they don't. To add insult to injury the people next to us, on the night they were an hour late, didn't like what they were served (lamb) and as we were leaving we heard them ask for macaroni and cheese to be made for them. Amazing!

Only people wearing jeans were late?????

Seriously, the only thing I read in the Compass last week on our cruise about dining room attire for dinner was no shorts including formal night. Remember the head waiter, waiter and ass't waiter rely a good deal on tips for there income, so they'll put up with with a bit of inconvience for tardiness. Also, we left port late 2 nights due to late excursion returns. Do these people not get to eat in the dining room?

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

Maybe they didn't realize that you needed to be there at a certain time, although they wouldn't think that if they had studied up on the cruise before leaving. It's rude to show up late because it messes up the way they serve all the food. As for the mac and cheese, i don't see that as a big deal. You don't have to like the food that is served, and most requests can be met, even if it's mackie cheese!

Perhaps another reason why RCI needs to offer "open seating" :D ;)

There have been umpteen threads about tipping lately and a good number of posters state that they don't eat in the main dining room at all and are unsure how to tip.

Offering more choices just might solve both issues :)

###

Only people wearing jeans were late?????

Seriously, the only thing I read in the Compass last week on our cruise about dining room attire for dinner was no shorts including formal night. Remember the head waiter, waiter and ass't waiter rely a good deal on tips for there income, so they'll put up with with a bit of inconvience for tardiness. Also, we left port late 2 nights due to late excursion returns. Do these people not get to eat in the dining room?

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

Please note that the 'jeans' comment was followed up with a wink in an attempt to be humorous regarding many previous threads.....I couldn't care less what people wear.

I personally feel (and this is my own opinion and don't expect you to agree) that if you choose early sitting your run the risk of being late and not being able to eat in the dining room. There are other places to eat. I just think that that the waiters work very hard and do not need us to make their jobs harder because we think it is our 'right' to eat in the dining room regardless of the time. 10 to 15 minutes maybe but a whole hour? By the way this wasn't just one night or on days we were in port. They were late at least 4 or 5 of the 7 nights...just not always an hour.

We had a great cruise thank you.. We are very laid back people and go with the flow....but we also try to treat everyone the way we ourselves would like to be treated even if it means having to do something that would not be our first choice.

I also agree that it is no big deal to request alternative food ie mac & cheese but again I don't think it is fair to ask for this personal service after arriving so late and people are already leaving the dining room. The waiters want to 'get out there' too.

Something tells me that these were first-time cruisers. I bet they didn't think of the repercussions of arriving late every night and how that impacted late seating.

On our first cruise last February, we had late seating. One night I asked our wait staff if it was ok for us to show up 30 minutes late the following night. They said, "yes" but their body language said "no". The reason I asked is because I wanted to take a nap after our planned excursion the next day, and didn't think I'd have enough time to nap then shower and make it to an 8:30 dinner. Also, my tablemates informed me of the impact. Once I learned that, I realized that it wasn't fair for me to show up late, so I didn't.

I bet those folks just weren't aware of it. I would have also noticed the 'mac and cheese' ordering and would have found it odd especially after arriving 1 hour late.

This got me to thinking about our Explorer in 2004, our family (5 of us) were seated with a family of 4. The wife was at least 45 minutes late for dinner every night, her Husband and kids all came into the dining room without her.

*even on both formal nights...

Her husband said she always tans by the pool and loses track of time. Mind you she looked like a burnt piece of leather, overly tan would be an understatement. When she did finally arrive, her Husband would tell our waiters rudley "bring my wifes dinner now"..and when they did, it was hardly ever to her liking and she let them know about it. I swear this is a true story!

We asked to be moved, but no more tables were available. The last 2 nights we went to windjammer, we felt that we had too. I was sad for the waiters, once our waiter looked at us like "help me!" :confused: I looked back at him with that look of sympathy. Anyway, it never ruined our trip, but I will never forget those people that's for sure! :eek:

There was a group of 12, all family members at a table next to us that were late 30min - 1hr every night and then the wait staff had to work like dogs to catch them up in order to maintain the flow to complete their dinner on time. I found that to be very inconsiderate :eek:

Please note that the 'jeans' comment was followed up with a wink in an attempt to be humorous regarding many previous threads.....I couldn't care less what people wear.

I personally feel (and this is my own opinion and don't expect you to agree) that if you choose early sitting your run the risk of being late and not being able to eat in the dining room. There are other places to eat. I just think that that the waiters work very hard and do not need us to make their jobs harder because we think it is our 'right' to eat in the dining room regardless of the time. 10 to 15 minutes maybe but a whole hour? By the way this wasn't just one night or on days we were in port. They were late at least 4 or 5 of the 7 nights...just not always an hour.

We had a great cruise thank you.. We are very laid back people and go with the flow....but we also try to treat everyone the way we ourselves would like to be treated even if it means having to do something that would not be our first choice.

I also agree that it is no big deal to request alternative food ie mac & cheese but again I don't think it is fair to ask for this personal service after arriving so late and people are already leaving the dining room. The waiters want to 'get out there' too.

Actually, I too was joking about the jeans.

We're always prompt for dinner and never leave our table mates or wait staff waiting. Having said that, I've noticed a tendency for people not to be as diligent as we both are but it hasn't bothered me. Maybe if I were seated at the entrance to the dining room it would drive me nuts also.

As someone mentioned earlier, perhaps there is a resaon for RCL to offer flexible time options in the dining room.

Turning up very late is bad enough but the worst I ever saw in the Dining Room was when a set of parents and three kids aged somewhere from 5 -10 arrived in the DR. The parents informed the waiter that they had reservations in the specialty restaurant for themselves. They ordered for the kids and left them there to be babysat by the waiter. It was the talk of the room and the waiter didn't seem amused. I can only hope he got a big tip. I can't imagine the gall that took.

To turn this about, I find it very funny to see the crowd lined up at the doors to the dining room 30 minutes before they open the doors for dinner. I guess that they think that their assigned seat won't be available unless they are first in line.

We always leave our cabin about 5 minutes before dinner time and find ourselves at the dining room with a free path to our table.

Hypo

It could be like one poster said, some might be first time cruisers and not really know??? Our last cruise we were at a table for 10. The first night there were only 4 of us there. The next night we were all talking and they actually did not know you could eat in the dining room the first night. They didn't think it was open!!! I save all my capers and sure enough never mentions no jeans?? Never noticed that before..... but yes, some people are plain rude.

Turning up very late is bad enough but the worst I ever saw in the Dining Room was when a set of parents and three kids aged somewhere from 5 -10 arrived in the DR. The parents informed the waiter that they had reservations in the specialty restaurant for themselves. They ordered for the kids and left them there to be babysat by the waiter. It was the talk of the room and the waiter didn't seem amused. I can only hope he got a big tip. I can't imagine the gall that took.

Its sad, but they probably did not tip. That type never do.

If you are going to be more than a few minutes late you should dine elsewhere.

I must admit to being suprised how late MANY people were to the dining room (first/early/main seating) on our Mariner cruise last October.... MANY people came in 10/15/20 minutes late. Some people came in a lot later.

We are always either on time or within 5 minutes.

Boo

Perhaps another reason why RCI needs to offer "open seating" :D ;)

There have been umpteen threads about tipping lately and a good number of posters state that they don't eat in the main dining room at all and are unsure how to tip.

Offering more choices just might solve both issues :)

###

Perhaps latecomers should be directed to the anytime seating of the Windjammer.

If a dinner seating is at 6 the doors should be shut at 6:15..no entrance after that.

It isn't fair to the waitstaff to have to rush to get service finished for rude passengers.

AGREED ! ! ! Typically, the waitstaff then focuses so much attention on "catching up" those who show up late, they forget about those who did it right and were on time. Just not fair.

On our Celebrity cruise this summer, we tried to change our dining time from early to late seating. Since there were alot of European travelers (they dine much later than we) on board, this was impossible. The maitre d' suggested that we show up late to dinner each evening if it suited us.

I asked how late is too late. He said that anywhere from 30-45 minutes was acceptable.

This flexiblility really helped us out, and we were only following the suggestion given us by the cruise line staff themselves.

Leigh

If a dinner seating is at 6 the doors should be shut at 6:15..no entrance after that.

It isn't fair to the waitstaff to have to rush to get service finished for rude passengers.

I completely agree. Let the rude, inconsiderate, self-centered cruisers dine elsewhere.

On our last cruise to Hawaii we had tablemates that were continually late. I could understand if you got held up on a shore excursion but they were only late on the sea days. Finally, the waiter said something to them and they started coming earlier. Seems like they liked to gamble and couldn't tear themselves away from the tables. Later, they thanked the waiter saying they saved $$ as they were not losing as much as before.

Ann

Yes, what I call "the 15 minute rule" that I have always used in business. After 15 minutes, I decide you aren't showing up and I go on with life.

The sign on the door, when closed, should read - DINNER IN PROGRESS - NO ADMITTANCE and then a blurb about other dining options.

RUDE RUDE RUDE

Its not just rude to the people at their table, its rude to all the people at a waiter's station.

On our last cruise, half the table of 10 next to us were 30 to 45 minutes late every night and it definitely impacted our service as our waiter had to stop in the middle of serving us and the others at their table to take their orders. As a result, we had long waits and/or cold main dishes. And with young children at the table, we did not want send our food back and wait for replacements.

To turn this about, I find it very funny to see the crowd lined up at the doors to the dining room 30 minutes before they open the doors for dinner. I guess that they think that their assigned seat won't be available unless they are first in line.

We always leave our cabin about 5 minutes before dinner time and find ourselves at the dining room with a free path to our table.

Hypo

On our first cruise we showed up to the dining room 10 minutes early and waited with the crowd. Never again, we now time it to get there 5 minutes after the doors are open, so we're not a part of the rush.

I think 15 minutes is a bit short, though. We've sat with table mates who were a bit later than that, just arriving back onto the ship from excursions and not even having time to freshen up. I hardly think the dining room will chance angering the pax like that, they really do work for the gratuities. Many people might think differently and avoid tipping when treated like that.

There is no excuse for walking in over 30 minutes late, if you are that late, you really need to find an alternative place to dine. If at all possible, let your waiter or table mates know you won't be joining them for dinner, so they don't wait for you.

Archived