Fashionably late ...or just plain rude!

p0mpey

We ALWAYS are on time.... sometimes the first to the table.

That said.....on our last cruise they had us change our watches when headed West from Tampa.....then change again when headed East from Cozumel. I had never had them change the ships time before.

Well we had a really nice time by the pool that day.....lots of foo-foo drinks and reggae dancing..... went back to the cabin and fell sound asleep. Didnt hear the announcement to change watches back - didnt hear nuttin'.

Anyway....we woke up - showered - dressed and walked out into the hall.... I said "Where is everybody ??" When we got to the dining room we realized what we had done :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well it was tip night. I had all my envelopes and vouchers and did not want them to think we were "stiffing" them HEAVEN FORBID. So we walked to the table....apologized and explained what happened. We were going to leave our tips and go to the Windjammer but OH NO..... waiters insisted we sit. Well then we said just bring us a dessert.....OH NO.....they insisted we get an entree..... needless to say I am glad I put extra in the tip envelope. :D

And I now plan to take a travel alarm and if I take a nap ....set it so I won't oversleep.;)

My Opinion:

<5 min - You're on time

5-10 min - Fashionably late. You'll avoid the rush entering the dining room, but are unlikely to hold things up, especially if you've had a glance at the menu earlier in the day, and have an idea what you want to order.

10-15 min - A bit unfashionable, but no big deal.

15-30 min - You're late. Apologize to your waiter and tablemates and don't make a habit of it.

>30 min - Head to the WindJammer.

Yes, what I call "the 15 minute rule" that I have always used in business. After 15 minutes, I decide you aren't showing up and I go on with life.

The sign on the door, when closed, should read - DINNER IN PROGRESS - NO ADMITTANCE and then a blurb about other dining options.

RUDE RUDE RUDE

Now THAT is a good idea! You should send it in to RCL and see what they say.

Jeff

http://www.educatorsbookbag.com

My Opinion:

<5 min - You're on time

5-10 min - Fashionably late. You'll avoid the rush entering the dining room, but are unlikely to hold things up, especially if you've had a glance at the menu earlier in the day, and have an idea what you want to order.

10-15 min - A bit unfashionable, but no big deal.

15-30 min - You're late. Apologize to your waiter and tablemates and don't make a habit of it.

>30 min - Head to the WindJammer.

I agree with you, almost!:p

15-30 you are late head to the WJ

30 minutes you are a complete loser, please don't book anymore cruises:eek:

jc

On our Celebrity cruise this summer, we tried to change our dining time from early to late seating. Since there were alot of European travelers (they dine much later than we) on board, this was impossible. The maitre d' suggested that we show up late to dinner each evening if it suited us.

I asked how late is too late. He said that anywhere from 30-45 minutes was acceptable.

This flexiblility really helped us out, and we were only following the suggestion given us by the cruise line staff themselves.

Leigh

The flexibility may have been nice for you but it sure wasn't for your wait staff.I think the maitre d' was just thinking about his tip and not his wait staff.

Not all, but many of the replies come straight from the good ol' PC police!

How dare some people expect considerate behavior from others!

How dare you question showing up an hour late! The horror of it!!!

The old expression, "Don't criticize until you have walked a mile in my shoes" does not apply here because the PC police would defend the right of those not wearing shoes!!!

I like the idea of closing the doors at 6:15, well, maybe 6:30.

or,

If a party arrives over 30 minutes late, then the waiter should automatically deliver "default" salads/appetizers when he arrives to take their order for the main course, to "help them catch up."

That'd be cool! :p

Reading this thread took me back to our May cruise on the Serenade. We knew we would be late coming back and our tablemates and waitstaff urged us to still come to dinner. I remember we had to come dressed in jeans which I normally would not do. When we arrived, the staff caught us up with appetizers and salads. I really do believe you are treated in life the way you treat others, so I guess we were "nice" enough to have people not mind our tardiness or our attire.

I do enjoy the traditional dining experience. I can always wear jeans and sweats while dining at home and usually do...

Are we assuming that these rude pax must naturally be smokers? Just askin'.:D

youre asking for trouble with that one :D being a smoker I dont even leave the table for a smoke until after the meal, it kills me sometimes but its polite :D

15-30 you are late head to the WJ

30 minutes you are a complete loser, please don't book anymore cruises:eek:

jc

I agree completely with JC, almost. :D I think 15 - 20 minutes is about the latest you should be allowed to enter the dining room. Since the first night on our first ever cruise (we actually thought seating times were "suggested times") we have never been over 3-5 minutes late. We also make it a point to let our waiters know if we will be dining alternative the following night or if we will be dining onshore. It's just a matter of common courtesy. On our last little Majesty cruise, we only ate in the Windjammer and JR's. It was a backpack cruise that we didn't pack anything that we though would be suitable for the dining room. I did find our waiter and let him know our plans so they wouldn't hold things up waiting for us and still tipped the dining room staff. Treat them as you would want to be treated.

Aubie

Just got off the Liberty and I can see where RC will benefit by going Freestyle. The beautiful new dining room was mostly empty both seatings. We were usually joined by another couple at our table of 14, but it was only full on one formal night, and then by two American couples who wanted to leave chairs open between them and other tablemates. Talk about awkward. The waiter handled that graciously.

I think RC tries to be too accomodating especially the waiters who depend on tips. People came and went at all times. Most chose to eat in the Windjammer. European guests do not like to eat early. It was all very helter skelter, never saw anything like it - but it is a sign of the times. I wondered if it was a first time cruiser thing or a lack of information. I rarely read the dailies myself as they are stuffed full of sales pitches instead of actual cruise info.

Most unnusual sight was one couple in super black tie formal attire sitting across a table with boys in baseball caps.

The times are certainly changing.

youre asking for trouble with that one :D being a smoker I dont even leave the table for a smoke until after the meal, it kills me sometimes but its polite :D
It will kill you if you keep on smoking. Sorry I just couldn't resist,LOL.

We dine early and in most cases, arrive just as the doors open. We realize they are on a schedule. The only time we saw a family stopped at the door, was during a formal night and they were all dressed in Shorts. Believe it or not, a couple minutes later, they walked in and were seated.

maybe their suitcases had gone missing :eek:

I must ask - do Americans tend to wait until everyone has their course before they start eating? I thought it was always manners but no-one I have sat with in the past seems to do it?

In my experience, yes, although at times I have been with others who insisted that I "go ahead while my food is hot", rather than wait. In that case, I will usually oblige and begin eating, so as not to make them feel bad that they're holding me up, but try to eat a little extra slowly, until the tardy dish shows up. Most restaurants seem to do a good job of getting all the plates to the table at the same time, though, so it's not even an issue.

If a dinner seating is at 6 the doors should be shut at 6:15..no entrance after that.

It isn't fair to the waitstaff to have to rush to get service finished for rude passengers.

I agree with this, and this is the way it was when we cruised in the 1980's. Ahhh - the good old days!

Mad kitty, Yes, polite Americans who have some sense of manners and table etiquette DO wait until everyone at the table has been served. I agree with MakinGold, however, about urging others to go ahead if the wait for the other dishes is more than a few minutes. Unfortunately, as in every other aspect of life for some, polite and mannerly behavior is an unknown quantity.

We knew we would be at least 15 minutes late and to keep from causing trouble for the server and delaying dinner for the rest of the table, we instead had room service.

One couple was chronically late one time 30 minutes and that caused a lot of trouble for the servers and delayed dinner for the rest of us. Worse yet, they complained to the head waiter that the server and assistant server were not quick enough taking care of them. :mad:

Reality was the server and assistant server were great!!!

Unless we make prior arrangements that we will be late and the server and table mates know to start without us and that when we get there we will skip prior courses, so there is no catch up...we would find food elsewhere. Plenty of places to eat.

Archived