Fashionably late ...or just plain rude!

p0mpey

There was a group of 12, all family members at a table next to us that were late 30min - 1hr every night and then the wait staff had to work like dogs to catch them up in order to maintain the flow to complete their dinner on time. I found that to be very inconsiderate :eek:

If my sr. memory serves me correctly, it seems that "in the old" days, they used to close the dining room doors, and not let you enter past 15mts or so. So unless RCL takes a stand, I guess you will have the revolving door. (because people are going to do what they want to do)

If my sr. memory serves me correctly, it seems that "in the old" days, they used to close the dining room doors, and not let you enter past 15mts or so. So unless RCL takes a stand, I guess you will have the revolving door. (because people are going to do what they want to do)

My Sr. memory agrees..back in the early 80's when we started cruising the doors were "indeed" shut at 15 mins. after the appointed dinning time.

I can understand possibly losing track of time or coming in late from an excursion once during a cruise, but to be 30 min. or more late each evening.........sorry then you need to find another spot to eat!

I see that this has been another touchy subject for some of you and that is your right to express your thoughts on the subject but seriously folk denying a passenger entry due to lateness?? come on now...I myself have not been late for my reservation and don't plan on it for my future, but we don't really know what made SOME of these individual late, we don't know if they called ahead of time to inform any one on the wait staff and her we are ready to shuffle them to Windjammers cause we thing its rude. Now I know that some people have no regard for time and they are always late and thats bad, but who are we to say that those with legit reasons can't dine in the dining room???We cant honestly know who had an unexpected issue come up and who just did not care and then to make comments that "THOSE" are the types that don't tip well :eek: WOW..I hope that none of you that wish for dinning denial are never late and are forced to follow your words...I am sure glad that non of our employers denied us(those of us with legit explanations) entry into the office when late. Hope you ALL enjoy your cruise.

I see that this has been another touchy subject for some of you and that is your right to express your thoughts on the subject but seriously folk denying a passenger entry due to lateness?? come on now....

What's the big deal? It's not like they'd be sent to bed w/o dinner. There are other dining options. Many people would like the flexibility of "anytime dining", but that's not the way RCI works. I suppose it might be a nice thought to get to have both the dedicated table and servers of traditional dining and the flexibility to show up whenever you want of anytime dining, but it's just not practical. If you're on a line with traditional dining, and you want to eat at your assigned table in the dining room, you should show up at your assigned time.

Does it really matter, whether they're late for a good reason or not? Eating in the WindJammer or through room service is not that terrible a fate.

Fashionably late ...or just plain rude!

I am sure this has been discussed many times in the past but I couldn't just let it go without commenting on it.

We have just returned from a cruise and we had a table right by the entrance on the third level. We could not believe how late people turned up for dinner. The table next to us were an hour late one night (9:30)and we saw many, many people (wearing jeans ;) ) walking in at least 40 or 50 minutes late. I asked our server whether the head waiter said anything to them and she said that he had done so but it didn't appear to make any difference. She also told us that the people on our table had not arrived until 7:00 to the early sitting (6.00) which of course really messes up with them getting everything ready for the late sitting. We felt that they should be told that they are too late to be served but obviously they don't. To add insult to injury the people next to us, on the night they were an hour late, didn't like what they were served (lamb) and as we were leaving we heard them ask for macaroni and cheese to be made for them. Amazing!

That's an easy one - Just plain rude.

....... :eek: WOW..I hope that none of you that wish for dinning denial are never late and are forced to follow your words....

Can't see that this would ever be an issue. Those who appreciate the rudeness of showing up over 15-20 minutes late would never be denied entry to main dining room - because they would never show up at the dining room that late. They would simply head to Windjammer or JR's or see if one of the specialty DR's had an availability - or even decide that it might be a good night for room service...... A good excuse for being late is not a good excuse for being rude when there are so many other acceptable dining options. That's how I look at it.

What's the big deal? It's not like they'd be sent to bed w/o dinner. There are other dining options. Many people would like the flexibility of "anytime dining", but that's not the way RCI works. I suppose it might be a nice thought to get to have both the dedicated table and servers of traditional dining and the flexibility to show up whenever you want of anytime dining, but it's just not practical. If you're on a line with traditional dining, and you want to eat at your assigned table in the dining room, you should show up at your assigned time.

Does it really matter, whether they're late for a good reason or not? Eating in the WindJammer or through room service is not that terrible a fate.

Too be honest it's not the point of the ship having other options... My point is why do some people always have to be judge and jury until it effects them...Some people always the 1st to throw people to the flames cause they don't agree with the action..Yeah some people are rude and don't careless as I already stated but what I am asking is who are we that decides that they "should eat else ware just because they're late??? You have not idea of knowing how long it took the individual to get the chance to cruise and then to be denied the same opportunity and dining experience as you cause you disapprove of their tardiness??

Too be honest it's not the point of the ship having other options... My point is why do some people always have to be judge and jury until it effects them...Some people always the 1st to throw people to the flames cause they don't agree with the action..Yeah some people are rude and don't careless as I already stated but what I am asking is who are we that decides that they "should eat else ware just because they're late??? You have not idea of knowing how long it took the individual to get the chance to cruise and then to be denied the same opportunity and dining experience as you cause you disapprove of their tardiness??

huh? if they want to eat in the DR, all they have to do is come at the appointed time. if they have other priorities and can't make it to dinner on time, they can dine elsewhere and have plenty of options. to come late every night is rude to the tablemates and interferes with the service. there's no "judge" "jury" or "flames" about it. i call it civilized behavior.

maybe their suitcases had gone missing :eek:

That is a possibility I didn't think of at the time. I know the man at our table really got bent out of shape over them being let in while DH & shrugged it off and enjoyed our dinner. Even the mans wife didn't make a fuss, but then her husband was doing enough on his own. If that had happened to us, we would have gone to the Windjammer and not the dining room.

Gee, I guess everything/anything that happens to you or around you is ok, huh? I don't care how long it took someone to save for a cruise. I am tired of people giving excuses to others because of this or that. If you can't be to the dining room on time, or within 15 minutes, I agree with others that the dining room should be closed. When we sailed on Celebrity that's how it was and there were people who were late only once.

Just because it took a long time to save for a cruise, doesn't mean you don't have to have manners or go by accepted practices. I started sailing as a single parent with a child, without a lot of money, but I sure in heck knew what was expected of me/us. That went for tips too.

How long would that person have a job if he/she is late all the time. Should we feel sorry for him/her then too? Obviously, my world is colored differently from yours.

When we were on Brilliance last year, there was a group of about 20 people who not only came into dinner at late seating at least an hour late every night, but they had young kids and they let the kids run all over the dining room. They ran into the waiters etc. The parents didn't stop them or anything. I felt badly for the waiters, but I know they said nothing, because the people pretended to not understand a word of English in the dining room, but sure did understand when at the Purser's desk. The waiters also felt they wouldn't get any tip if they made waves with these people. It was maddening to all of us seated near them. The little kids crawled under all the tables in the immediate area of their tables, including ours. Do I care how long it took them to save to get on this cruise? Do I think they should have been denied service in the dining room?

Sometimes, the rose colored glasses need to come off so that reality sets in. I am not picking on you, as there are others who feel as you do.

I have a saying regarding clothes. To the fat lady wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, (that would be me if I wore one) just because they make them in your size, doesn't mean you need to buy it. The same applies to a cruise, just because you can afford the cruise itself, doesn't mean you should cruise.

Ok, I am ready for the flames.

See some of you are missing the point!! Unless I missed it in the OP's thread I did not read that 1 person was late EVERY night but a number of people that were late caught her attention from sitting by the main entrance!! There for I also agreed that if a persona is constantly late then yes that is rude... What I am talking about is the person that was late one time and some of you are saying that those that are late are to be turned away without you even knowing the reason of the tardiness??? Anything can happen to make a person late. I see that some of you are so ready to classify some one as rude, classless uncivilized and at any given time you can be in that persons same position!! Again my point is who are we that decided that this person even if late one time is rude and needs to eat else ware?? PLEASE keep in mind that the OP NEVER mention that this was one person doing this every night so lets be realistic with your replies

See some of you are missing the point!! Unless I missed it in the OP's thread I did not read that 1 person was late EVERY night but a number of people that were late caught her attention from sitting by the main entrance!! There for I also agreed that if a persona is constantly late then yes that is rude... What I am talking about is the person that was late one time and some of you are saying that those that are late are to be turned away without you even knowing the reason of the tardiness??? Anything can happen to make a person late. I see that some of you are so ready to classify some one as rude, classless uncivilized and at any given time you can be in that persons same position!! Again my point is who are we that decided that this person even if late one time is rude and needs to eat else ware?? PLEASE keep in mind that the OP NEVER mention that this was one person doing this every night so lets be realistic with your replies

It doesn't matter whether it is only one time. What if every person in the DR were "only late one time"? That would be 1/7 of the dining room showing up late each and every night! Now wouldn't that make for continued excellent service that one expects when cruising...... :(

And it doesn't matter if it is a "good excuse". I could have had an emergency phone call from home. My elderly mother could have tripped coming down the stairs on the way to dinner and had to stop in the infirmary. Name it....... I would still eat at one of the alternate dining venues if I was going to be over 15 minutes late for dinner. I would never expect the other diners at my table or my waiters to be inconvenienced because I had a personal problem.

It doesn't matter whether it is only one time. What if every person in the DR were "only late one time"? That would be 1/7 of the dining room showing up late each and every night! Now wouldn't that make for continued excellent service that one expects when cruising...... :(

And it doesn't matter if it is a "good excuse". I could have had an emergency phone call from home. My elderly mother could have tripped coming down the stairs on the way to dinner and had to stop in the infirmary. Name it....... I would still eat at one of the alternate dining venues if I was going to be over 15 minutes late for dinner. I would never expect the other diners at my table or my waiters to be inconvenienced because I had a personal problem.

WOW!! Really?? I say again lets be realistic here people!! whats the probability of every one in the dining room being late??? even once??

Turning up very late is bad enough but the worst I ever saw in the Dining Room was when a set of parents and three kids aged somewhere from 5 -10 arrived in the DR. The parents informed the waiter that they had reservations in the specialty restaurant for themselves. They ordered for the kids and left them there to be babysat by the waiter. It was the talk of the room and the waiter didn't seem amused. I can only hope he got a big tip. I can't imagine the gall that took.

We had this happen to us a few years ago on our RCI cruise. The family seated with us had made reservations for their anniversary and their two kids had dinner with us . . . ummm, hello, did I get extra pay to be their babysitter? Um, no. And this family would arrive late - what would be called "fashionably" late (20 minutes or so) . . . but we felt compelled to sit and wait and not eat without them - a bit unfair.

Oh well - water under the bridge now. We just came off a Princess cruise and we had anytime dining and always requested a table for two - that eliminated all the issues. :)

Let's see, RCL tolerates late diners, the wait staff certainly doesn't appear to have any issues serving late diners but some CCs do. Is there really a solution to this CC problem other than anytime/flexible dining options?

We had this happen to us a few years ago on our RCI cruise. The family seated with us had made reservations for their anniversary and their two kids had dinner with us . . . ummm, hello, did I get extra pay to be their babysitter? Um, no. And this family would arrive late - what would be called "fashionably" late (20 minutes or so) . . . but we felt compelled to sit and wait and not eat without them - a bit unfair.

Oh well - water under the bridge now. We just came off a Princess cruise and we had anytime dining and always requested a table for two - that eliminated all the issues. :)

Ha! Wow, pendi1, I'm glad that wasn't me at that table! I would have freaked if someone left their children to et alone at the table with me and my bf being the only adults! I mean, a responsible human being (obviously not the parents here) wouldn't leave the table without making sure that the children were done, and had solid plans with an adult or program. So then it would become my problem? Those parents would have had quite a dinner interruption from me for their anniversary!

And no, I"m not interested in any silly 'at least you aren't dead and can still cruise/maybe their cruise was a financial hardship for them/insert some inane excuse here' argument about it, but thanks.

What I am talking about is the person that was late one time and some of you are saying that those that are late are to be turned away without you even knowing the reason of the tardiness??? Anything can happen to make a person late. I see that some of you are so ready to classify some one as rude, classless uncivilized and at any given time you can be in that persons same position!! Again my point is who are we that decided that this person even if late one time is rude and needs to eat else ware??

I think you're missing the point, too. Saying someone is rude and classless and saying that they should not allow people into the dining room whenever they happen to show up are two different things. Sure, someone could be late for a very good reason, and that does not make them a rude or classless person. That has nothing to do with whether or not they should be seated late in the dining room.

You seem to be making the mistake of combining different comments from different posters into one global opinion and assuming that those who say the dining room should be closed after some "grace period" beyond the seating time are implying that the late-comers should eat elsewhere because they are rude and classless. I believe the thinking of most people who've express that kind of opinion is that they should eat elsewhere, because they are late, not because of any character flaw.

I think you're missing the point, too. Saying someone is rude and classless and saying that they should not allow people into the dining room whenever they happen to show up are two different things. Sure, someone could be late for a very good reason, and that does not make them a rude or classless person. That has nothing to do with whether or not they should be seated late in the dining room.

You seem to be making the mistake of combining different comments from different posters into one global opinion and assuming that those who say the dining room should be closed after some "grace period" beyond the seating time are implying that the late-comers should eat elsewhere because they are rude and classless. I believe the thinking of most people who've express that kind of opinion is that they should eat elsewhere, because they are late, not because of any character flaw.

Not missing the point at all and yes there are a few that are quick to condemn that person person who was late regardless of the reason..there was one person that felt that because they were late that they would not tip well.... I by no means am the type of person to label or categorize a person because I disagree with them!! but it appears that some people on here do...yes if there is a person that does not come on time every night then yes they should not be allowed to hold up their table mates but lets not say that every late person is like this..

Gee, I guess everything/anything that happens to you or around you is ok, huh? I don't care how long it took someone to save for a cruise. I am tired of people giving excuses to others because of this or that. If you can't be to the dining room on time, or within 15 minutes, I agree with others that the dining room should be closed. When we sailed on Celebrity that's how it was and there were people who were late only once.

Just because it took a long time to save for a cruise, doesn't mean you don't have to have manners or go by accepted practices. I started sailing as a single parent with a child, without a lot of money, but I sure in heck knew what was expected of me/us. That went for tips too.

How long would that person have a job if he/she is late all the time. Should we feel sorry for him/her then too? Obviously, my world is colored differently from yours.

When we were on Brilliance last year, there was a group of about 20 people who not only came into dinner at late seating at least an hour late every night, but they had young kids and they let the kids run all over the dining room. They ran into the waiters etc. The parents didn't stop them or anything. I felt badly for the waiters, but I know they said nothing, because the people pretended to not understand a word of English in the dining room, but sure did understand when at the Purser's desk. The waiters also felt they wouldn't get any tip if they made waves with these people. It was maddening to all of us seated near them. The little kids crawled under all the tables in the immediate area of their tables, including ours. Do I care how long it took them to save to get on this cruise? Do I think they should have been denied service in the dining room?

Sometimes, the rose colored glasses need to come off so that reality sets in. I am not picking on you, as there are others who feel as you do.

I have a saying regarding clothes. To the fat lady wearing a 2 piece bathing suit, (that would be me if I wore one) just because they make them in your size, doesn't mean you need to buy it. The same applies to a cruise, just because you can afford the cruise itself, doesn't mean you should cruise.

Ok, I am ready for the flames.

Mean, mean, mean!!!!!!!!! You're joking right. Who are you, the wardrobe and proper tourist expert!!?

Not missing the point at all and yes there are a few that are quick to condemn that person person who was late regardless of the reason..there was one person that felt that because they were late that they would not tip well.... I by no means am the type of person to label or categorize a person because I disagree with them!! but it appears that some people on here do...yes if there is a person that does not come on time every night then yes they should not be allowed to hold up their table mates but lets not say that every late person is like this..

It doesn't matter what the reason is. You have an appointed time for dinner. If you cannot get there by 6:15 you eat elsewhere out of consideration for other diners and for the wait staff. Period. I don't find that to be a difficult thing to comprehend.

Same as when they say to be back by 4pm from your shore excursion...and as you approach the dock at 4:20 you see the ship rounding the corner. Should a ship full of passengers wait?

Please note that the 'jeans' comment was followed up with a wink in an attempt to be humorous regarding many previous threads.....I couldn't care less what people wear.

I personally feel (and this is my own opinion and don't expect you to agree) that if you choose early sitting your run the risk of being late and not being able to eat in the dining room. There are other places to eat. I just think that that the waiters work very hard and do not need us to make their jobs harder because we think it is our 'right' to eat in the dining room regardless of the time. 10 to 15 minutes maybe but a whole hour? By the way this wasn't just one night or on days we were in port. They were late at least 4 or 5 of the 7 nights...just not always an hour.

We had a great cruise thank you.. We are very laid back people and go with the flow....but we also try to treat everyone the way we ourselves would like to be treated even if it means having to do something that would not be our first choice.

I also agree that it is no big deal to request alternative food ie mac & cheese but again I don't think it is fair to ask for this personal service after arriving so late and people are already leaving the dining room. The waiters want to 'get out there' too.

I was late (5:40pm instead of 5:30pm) my 2nd nite in the dining room. (I got lost trying to find the dining room, our cabin was on the other side of the ship). I realized immediately that I had screwed up the servers routine. They never let on and did not say a word. They didn't have to. But boy did I feel bad! I was NEVER late again after that. It does make a difference if you are late. IMHO.

This does not happen on X as the dining room is closed to Diners I think 15 mins after the seating starts

That's the way it is on HAL. The doors are closed 15 minutes after the seating time.....just makes life easier, be there or pick room service or the buffet.

I think 15 minutes is fair. If you're going to be more than 15 minutes late, than you must know ahead of time and could take precautions. I wouldn't defend a first time cruiser's "not knowing any better". That's people here being nice and giving the benefit. I was a first time cruiser. Besides reading on this board, you have your dinner preference with the time clearly stated. It does not say dinner will be served between 6 & "Insert your time here". Would they be late at their local restaurant and risk losing their reservation? I also worked in a business with reservations, 15 minutes was the rule for us too.

As far as leaving your kids at the table to be babysat, I don't know if I coulde have kept my mouth shut, it's my vacation too. I could never have done that to my kids. Who is going to be responsible if there was something that happened, be it behavior or injury. If one gets hurt, who's going to get sued?

Archived