Dinner reservations for suite guests

mina

Lisa...... That is close what we were told by two HM's. The most important part being flexibility in determining how much space will be alloted each cruise to AYW and Traditional. It seems everyone should be able to have the style they want. The problems will come if/when people want to switch after they are aboard.

For the new cruises we just booked, we, as always got our confirmed dining request when we received our booking confirmation.

We are still getting confirmed Main Upper seating when booking our "S" cabins.

Thanks all, I shall sleep better tonight knowing you are on my side! Will let you know what our TA comes up with. We really were not worried about it, learned a long time ago not to stress over any aspect of a cruise. That is not what we go for, we go to enjoy each other and to relax, make lemonade from lemons if necessary!

I don't want to cause you angst...but both times we have sailed HAL we have requested early seating for 2...we were in SC's suite's... the first time they had us in late seating with 8 people and the 2nd time they had us early and with 6... both times we worked with the concierges (we boarded at 11:30) to help, first time we did not get a table for early dining until 3rd night... then the second time by second night we had table for two... this time we requested early for two again we are waitlisted for early #29.. my TA will be calling next week as we leave in late November....DB777

As some of you know we sail in suites and according to HAL we should get the dining time and table request we want.

We always book our cruises at least one year to 1 1/2 years in advance.

But a couple of times we did not get our table request - dining time - yes.

When we got on the ship(s) we discovered that we were assigned to a different table than what we had requested. We did go to the maitre'd and asked why we had not not gotten the table we requested since we had booked so many months in advance. There was a lot of "heming" and "hawing" and we could not get a direct answer. But I did pay attention to the people who were at our table. And guess what? We were at the VIP party and we talked to them in general. They were not in a suite BUT they did know the HM and had contacted him about a special table request - he honored them. Just to let you all know -- they were only on their THIRD HAl cruise!!

That should not apply to Suites. One of the special benefits to booking a Suite is being promised confirmed seating of your choice.

But what if we want is "Open Dining" and then daily accommodation at our choice of time? I guess we will find out as it happens if ANYONE has trouble getting their choice of time.

The original question remains unanswered, however: if, as deluxe suite passengers, we wish to eat using "open dining" at 6:30 PM each night, how much of an issue will that be? Will we be allowed to make reservations despite the "no reservations" policy, and if not, will there be much if any wait if we simply show up at that time.

Are there specific tables in the dining room that are better or worse? If so, how does one find out about that and what kinds of requests are honored for suite passengers?

I don't want to cause you angst...but both times we have sailed HAL we have requested early seating for 2...we were in SC's suite's... the first time they had us in late seating with 8 people and the 2nd time they had us early and with 6... both times we worked with the concierges (we boarded at 11:30) to help, first time we did not get a table for early dining until 3rd night... then the second time by second night we had table for two... this time we requested early for two again we are waitlisted for early #29.. my TA will be calling next week as we leave in late November....DB777

Is this for the Westerdam? I would call the Ship Coordinator directly. Tell her you are having bad luck and perhaps she can help. I think the early dining is harder to get.

But what if we want is "Open Dining" and then daily accommodation at our choice of time? I guess we will find out as it happens if ANYONE has trouble getting their choice of time.

The original question remains unanswered, however: if, as deluxe suite passengers, we wish to eat using "open dining" at 6:30 PM each night, how much of an issue will that be? Will we be allowed to make reservations despite the "no reservations" policy, and if not, will there be much if any wait if we simply show up at that time.

Are there specific tables in the dining room that are better or worse? If so, how does one find out about that and what kinds of requests are honored for suite passengers?

I don't think your question is yet answerable. This new AYW is just being implemented on the ships and has barely started. Most ships are still months away from offering it.

I don't think anyone has the answer to your question. Some of this, of necessity, will have to be established as they go along.

My guess is that if NO reservations will be taken for that time window, then it means NO reservations will be taken. They will suggest you can still have a confirmed dining time by booking a traditional early or late seating. Just a guess......

I realize it is still very early. I also am not overly concerned about this -- even if there's a short wait for a table, I am sure we will manage just fine.

I'm just curious as to how they will accommodate deluxe suite passengers who want a guaranteed 6:37 PM table by the window for eight passengers including at least one from each of the major continents :).

I look forward to hearing about it when AYW does start to be the norm.

The original question remains unanswered, however: if, as deluxe suite passengers, we wish to eat using "open dining" at 6:30 PM each night, how much of an issue will that be? Will we be allowed to make reservations despite the "no reservations" policy, and if not, will there be much if any wait if we simply show up at that time....

If and when you find the answer to this question - which is a good one - please do post it in the As You Wish Dining - What and How sticky (here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627832 ). It would be most helpful to have the information included in that thread. Thanks!

I spoke with Ship's Services this morning. They did agree to move me from waitlist to comfirmed Late Upper Traditional dining. However, she did inform me that there were "several large (each group in excess of 100 guests) groups" in both early and late upper dining and that while they would confim the dining time for me, I might want to consider AYW due to the groups.

And so it goes...

B

I am on the same sailing as Bellebaby (Westerdam 5/11/08 to AK) and also in a suite. I haven't called suite services yet because I am kind of "on the fence on this". I thought I wanted my usual traditional early dining. Why would they tell her she might want to consider AYW dining versus traditional dining because of the 2 large groups?

I haven't sailed with large groups (that I was aware of). I have always enjoyed traditional dining. I like to form some sort of realtionship at dinner with my dining partners. In this case, would it indeed be better to keep AYW?

Any thoughts?

Well, I didn't get any answers to my previous post so I called Shipboard Services and I, too, got switched to my original first choice - first seating of traditional dining. I asked about the two large groups and was told it shouldn't impact our dining. Still don't know why they advised Bellebaby that she might want to keep AYW dining because of the two large groups.

Hopefully I made the right choice for us. :)

We had an email from our wonderful TA this morning. We are confirmed for our first choice for dining. No problems, we can even change to something else if we want later. I really love using a TA that knows her "stuff", we have used this one for years. She know what we want almost before we do!

I don't think it can be answered. Most ships don't even have AYW dining available yet so the 'fine details' have probably not been worked out. I think it will be trial and error for some number of sailings until they figure what works best.

JMHO......

Sorry I didn't post earlier. I have been busy with my real job.

Yes, I am on the May 11, 2008 sailing of the Westerdam. The agent said there were "several" large groups booked for both early and late Traditional dining. She said the guests would all know each other, there would be "milling" around from table to table, etc. and that someone not from one of the groups might be uncomfortable.

I decided to reserve Traditional dining and take my chances. I think it will be easier to change to AYW dining than from AYW dining.

A bit of information gleaned from this experience is that groups will bump individuals into AYW dining unless they are in an S or PS category.

B

A bit of information gleaned from this experience is that groups will bump individuals into AYW dining unless they are in an S or PS category.

B

And we are aware that at least one cruise excluded individual passengers from AYWD, in favor of groups.

So anyway, you look at it, groups trump the individual passenger as it relates to dining requests unless one pays for the perks associated with a Deluxe Suite booking.

• 2 weeks later...

HI all in response to the following:

We were on the noordam a few weeks ago and NO full suite guests are NOT allowed to make reservations after 5:30 pm or before 8 pm under AYW. That said -- we never ever had to wait for a table when we just went down -- the process worked smoothly - but I missed being able to request a specific table and reserve it to get the servers we wanted -- it was the luck of the draw and the service did suffer. We will go back to traditional dining in the future.

Recently sailed on the Noordam (Alaska). Had an SA suite. Asked the concierge to make a standing 8:15/8:30 "window table" request for every night. Said we preferred sitting with one or two other couples. Without exception, we got what we asked for. Usually dined with other couples and thoroughly enjoyed every evening. Just let the concierge know your preferences early on.

Great that you had exactly what you wanted. Of course, you requesting 8:15 - 8:30 put you outside of the 'window in question'..... the period between 5:30 and 8:00 P.M. Apparently there seems to be some question about "S" guests being able to make reservation for AYW dining table of their choice betweent those hours.

My husband and I were in a category SB suite on the Noordam 9/23-9/30. We had "as-you-wish" dining. One of the first things we did when we got on the ship was speak with the concierge in the Neptune Lounge. Being new to cruising, I was unaware that there were actual "times" during as-you-wish dining that you could NOT reserve a table in the dining room. We were NOT allowed (as suite guests) to reserve a specific table in the dining room with as-you-wish dining between 5:45 and 7:15 (per the concierge and per her telephone call to the dining room). Our four choices were 5:15, 5:45, 7:15, and 7:45 (for as-you-wish reservations). Thus, each day we requested the same table at 7:45 so we could have the same dining room attendant (who was wonderful). I hope that helps! :) Again, being new to cruising, I was unaware until reading this thread that suite guests are supposed to get special perks for dining. Everything worked out great for us, so I can't complain.

We HAL cruisers are ALL new to the AYW. It is just starting up and is not yet on all the ships. We're all going to be getting used to it if we select AYW vs. Traditional Dining.

Very happy it worked out well for you. Hope you had a great time on Noordam. She's a beautiful ship with a great crew, isn't she?

Great that you had exactly what you wanted. Of course, you requesting 8:15 - 8:30 put you outside of the 'window in question'..... the period between 5:30 and 8:00 P.M. Apparently there seems to be some question about "S" guests being able to make reservation for AYW dining table of their choice betweent those hours.

Ohh... after 8:00 p.m? I didn't realize that there was an 8:00 p.m. cutoff. No wonder they were so accomodating! We're on the Maasdam in January '08. I'll heed your advice and stick to the 8:15/8:30 time frame. Thanks.

Archived