Alaska Cruise - One Way or Roundtrip?

TwoWeebles

I am trying to plan a cruise to Alaska for my tenth wedding anniversary next May. I went in 1994 on RCI and have wanted to go back ever since. We did the "Inside Passage" which had stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay (I think), and maybe one other place (it was so long ago). Anywho, I would love to take my hubby to see this beautiful location, but with all the one way trips nowadays, I am confused. Should I do the round trip like Seattle to Seattle, or should I go one way and end up in Seward or Whittier? Will flying home (to Louisville, KY) be way more expensive from Seward or Whittier than from Seattle? What is the difference between an itinerary with Glacier Bay vs. one with Hubbard Glacier? Should I stick with the cruise line I know (RCI) or try a different one like Princess? So many questions, sorry to ramble! :o

roundtrips go from seattle to seattle or vancouver to vancouver. 1-ways

ether start or end in vancouver. so you need to look at a 3-way flight (open jaw)...either flying into anchorage ending in vancouver or the other way around. some fly into seattle, take the train/rent a car/or take a transfer to vancouver, since flight to seattle can be cheaper, maybe.

we did a round-trip, DH didn't have the extra time for any landtour in mainland alaska. plus he wanted to relax and not do any extra transfers.

airfare will just depend, you just need to go on-line and check some out, compare prices to see what is offered in your area. plan on flying in the day before, we flew out of memphis ....the airport had computer problems and you (almost) didn't make it....very scarey.

we did NCL...but i would check dates you want for prices, routes and such before i decided.

there are 3 glaciers areas that are talked about the most:

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_glacier_viewing.asp

there are a few 1-way cruises that do 2 glacier viewing

Seems like the one ways are for people who do not wish to do a land tour before or after their cruise. In my research, it would be cheaper for a round trip over the open jaw (called multi-city on the airline websites). We are traveling to Alaska next summer for the first time. From recommendations on this board, we are going to do an independent land tour after our one way trip from Vancouver to Seward. If you take a one way and end up in Seward or Whittier, you typically fly home from Anchorage. Some people will also go as far as Fairbanks and fly from there. However, that would involve a one way car rental, and that adds to your cost. There seem to be a few people who use the trains to get around, but we want to have our own car once we get to Anchorage.

Once we get to Seward, we will spend two days there without a car. The evening of the second day we will take the train to Anchorage and spend two nights there. Then we are heading to Talkeetna for one night and Denali for three.

If you start reading these boards (Go back for several pages) you will start to get a feel for what you would like to do. Do searches when you have specific questions. Before you know it, you will feel like an Alaskan expert.

Good luck with your planning.

"there are a few 1-way cruises that do 2 glacier viewing" ???

Many of the 1-way cruises go to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Most of Princess'es 1-way go to those 2 glaciers for viewing, so do Holland America though their itineries are more varied. It is the round-trips that do not do 2 glacier viewing. However, some of the round-trips from Vancouver go to Glacier Bay. Check HAL or NCL.

Seems like the one ways are for people who do not wish to do a land tour before or after their cruise. In my research, it would be cheaper for a round trip over the open jaw (called multi-city on the airline websites).

There are a number us on this board that think the one ways are better (myself included). The cruises are often less but the air is higher. For me, it has broke even. So I wouldn't throw out the idea of one way entirely based on air fare prices. In the past, the Alaskan cruises that were a great deal were the one ways. Also, the most I have ever spent on air was for a RT Vancouver cruise. My Europe and Asia cruises were cheaper than my RT Vancouver air for my Alaskan cruise.

Seems like the one ways are for people who do not wish to do a land tour before or after their cruise.

It's the roundtrip cruises that are for people who don't want to (or aren't able to) do a land trip. Many people who take one-way cruises do a land trip - either independently or through the cruiseline.

I think one-ways usually have better itineraries than roundtrips - especially now that HAL won't go to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm on the same RT cruise from Vancouver. Cruises that depart from Seattle have to make a "foreign port" stop in Victoria or Prince Rupert, and those stops are usually for a very short time.

It's the roundtrip cruises that are for people who don't want to (or aren't able to) do a land trip. Many people who take one-way cruises do a land trip - either independently or through the cruiseline.

Nancy - I was surprised at the number of people on my one way cruises that did not do a land trip. Probably half that I spoke with just did the one way cruise with out any land or just one night in Anchorage.

I know some people on this board think the one way cruises should be for those who also do land but the reality is that many people do the one way with out the land portion.

i think round-trips are for the folks that don't want to or can't make all the transfers...like from whittier/seward to anchorage...or don't want the extra flight time, like the longer flight to anchorage. for some flying to or from anchorage is not the easiest thing to do... from a small airport with limited connections. there are times you just want to get to the ship the easiest way, enjoy the cruise and walk off at the end of the cruise...with the least amount of flying, driving, bussing, trains and taxis. since both types of trips sell out, it's a good thing that both are offered.

Nancy - I was surprised at the number of people on my one way cruises that did not do a land trip. Probably half that I spoke with just did the one way cruise with out any land or just one night in Anchorage.

I know some people on this board think the one way cruises should be for those who also do land but the reality is that many people do the one way with out the land portion.

I know lots of people go straight to the airport when they get off a one-way cruise. My point was that one-way cruises are the ONLY option for doing a pre- or post-cruise land trip in the Alaska interior - other than a land-only trip. A land trip really isn't an option in conjunction with a roundtrip cruise - unless you visit the Canadian Rockies before or after the cruise.

I am trying to plan a cruise to Alaska for my tenth wedding anniversary next May. I went in 1994 on RCI and have wanted to go back ever since. We did the "Inside Passage" which had stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay (I think), and maybe one other place (it was so long ago). Anywho, I would love to take my hubby to see this beautiful location, but with all the one way trips nowadays, I am confused. Should I do the round trip like Seattle to Seattle, or should I go one way and end up in Seward or Whittier? Will flying home (to Louisville, KY) be way more expensive from Seward or Whittier than from Seattle? What is the difference between an itinerary with Glacier Bay vs. one with Hubbard Glacier? Should I stick with the cruise line I know (RCI) or try a different one like Princess? So many questions, sorry to ramble! :o

If you want to cruise to Alaska with RCI, you won't be going to Glacier Bay, as RCI has no permits to go there. RCI has 1 ship doing a roundtrip from Seattle (Rhapsody of the Seas), and in my opinion it is THE most mediocre itinerary out there. Serenade of the Seas does roundtrips from Vancouver and goes to Hubbard Glacier. Radiance does one-ways between Vancouver and Seward, and also goes to Hubbard Glacier.

If returning to Glacier Bay is a priority, your choices are Princess one-ways (and also the 14-day roundtrip on the Tahitian Princess from Vancouver), some HAL one-ways and roundtrips, some roundtrips on NCL, and the May and September roundtrips on Carnival.

I know lots of people go straight to the airport when they get off a one-way cruise. My point was that one-way cruises are the ONLY option for doing a pre- or post-cruise land trip in the Alaska interior - other than a land-only trip. A land trip really isn't an option in conjunction with a roundtrip cruise - unless you visit the Canadian Rockies before or after the cruise.

You are right.

One of these days I am going to do a Canadian Rockies trip - I hear that is gorgeous.

To us just doing a cruise, means you miss a major part of Alaska. The land tour is like a seperate vacation. If you have the time and money, and as so many others have pointed out the time involved to fly into or out of Anchorage, consider the land with a one way cruise. I like the southbound cruise, because the flight to the East coast is a little shorter out of Vancouver or Seattle.

To us just doing a cruise, means you miss a major part of Alaska. The land tour is like a seperate vacation. If you have the time and money, and as so many others have pointed out the time involved to fly into or out of Anchorage, consider the land with a one way cruise. I like the southbound cruise, because the flight to the East coast is a little shorter out of Vancouver or Seattle.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. ^Yeah, I would love to do a land tour also, but the reality is that I usually can only take one week off work at a time and I also have a three year old who is not ready to be away from home for that long. (And actually, I am going to try to persuade grandma to watch him for a week while we go on our own.) Maybe someday when I retire :D.

there are a lot of good round trips, before you choose check out NCL pearl..it does glacier bay, juneau, ketchikan, skagway and victoria. it doesn't have set seating times for the dining rooms..which works well for late ports in alaska.

whichever cruise you take, it will ge a good one.

(i love the NCL star, but it does sawyer glaciers...sawyer has a lot of ice, at times the ships are blocked from getting close to it)

You are right.

One of these days I am going to do a Canadian Rockies trip - I hear that is gorgeous.

If you get the chance to take a Land Tour of the Canadian Rockies then do so. We did this with Princess prior to taking an Alaskan cruise R/T Seattle in 2006. Both sections were breathtaking and travelling from the UK it made sense to combine the two - unfortunately we did not have time to add on an Alaskan Land Tour (Some people on our Rockies tour did an Alaskan cruise and then went on to do an Alaskan Land Tour afterwards but you would probably need around 17 days to combine all these)

If you are interested I have written reviews and these can be found at

Rockies Land Tour

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360451

Alaskan Cruise on Dawn Princess

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=19049

Good Luck with your plans

Suron

Here are three threads that have discussed this topic in the past few months. The last one has the most posts in it. Hope it helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=594395

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567074

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=564187

Since I originally posted this reply on that last thread, it now surfaced onto the front page. Oops!

John

If you get the chance to take a Land Tour of the Canadian Rockies then do so. We did this with Princess prior to taking an Alaskan cruise R/T Seattle in 2006. Both sections were breathtaking and travelling from the UK it made sense to combine the two - unfortunately we did not have time to add on an Alaskan Land Tour (Some people on our Rockies tour did an Alaskan cruise and then went on to do an Alaskan Land Tour afterwards but you would probably need around 17 days to combine all these)

If you are interested I have written reviews and these can be found at

Rockies Land Tour

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360451

Alaskan Cruise on Dawn Princess

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=19049

Good Luck with your plans

Suron

Thanks for the links. I remember looking at them previously and realizing this is a trip I had to go on in the future. I will definitely try to do this in the next few years.

Here are three threads that have discussed this topic in the past few months. The last one has the most posts in it. Hope it helps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=594395

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567074

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=564187

Since I originally posted this reply on that last thread, it now surfaced onto the front page. Oops!

John

Thank you for the info! I think I have decided on roundtrip this time to cut back on flight price and time. Maybe in a few years, when my son is older, we can do a sea and land trip. I would love that!

Hi TwoWeebles, I see you are from Louisville. Which part of the city do you live in? I too am from Louisville and doing research for a future Alaska cruise. I am with a large group of around 25 cruisers and we do one every couple years. We just returned in March from a cruise on the Royal Carribean Freedom of the Seas so I am thinking 18 months or so before the gang will have recovered and saved up enough to go again. Maybe May 09. It is my job to begin all the research and put together ideas for the group to think about. We are also limited to a shorter trip and from what I have read here the Inside Passage cruise is better for those sensitive to sea sickness. The longer one way cruises across the Gulf of Alaska can have some more rocky seas. So far I am leaning toward the Star Princess Inside Passage-Round trip from Seattle. Look at it and see what you think.

We are also limited to a shorter trip and from what I have read here the Inside Passage cruise is better for those sensitive to sea sickness. The longer one way cruises across the Gulf of Alaska can have some more rocky seas. So far I am leaning toward the Star Princess Inside Passage-Round trip from Seattle. Look at it and see what you think.

I'm not sure what you mean by "longer" cruises. Most are 7-day - whether they are roundtrip or one-way between Vancouver and Seward or Whittier. The roundtrips actually travel more distance, because they have to double back to their starting port. If you leave from Seattle, you willl have as much open ocean as the one-ways that cross the Gulf of Alaska. Our one-way on the northbound Coral Princess was very smooth when crossing the Gulf, but I know that's not always the case.

ships leaving from seattle go west around vancouver island (where victoria is). they are inopen seas until about 10am the next morning. there and around glacier bay national park, you can get rough seas...

also, there are times where even the inside passage can be rough, it's a large body of water. no telling if it's going to be as smooth as glass or a minor roller coaster.

My comments about the rough water are just based on what others have said on this site. I have no personal experience with Alaska yet. Others have said the one way trips that go up farther North across the Gulf of Alaska do sometimes experience more rough water than those staying in the passage. I do understand the inside passage cruises go around Vancouver Island on the West side but after that stay pretty much in the passage. The Star Princess cruise even shows sailing on the Inside Passage side of the island where Sitka is located. The rough seas issue does not effect me. I have been on some where we had some rough rides part of the cruise. I was just passing on food for thought.

Archived