Viking River Russian Cruise Air flight question

MSEm

I am thinking about booking a Viking River Russian Cruise (Waterways of the Czars) for 2008. I have several questions about VRC Air flights.

1. What carrier does VRC use from Atlanta, New Orleans, or New York. (I can drive to New Orleans or book very cheap flights to Atlanta and/or New York)

2. I would really like to arrive 1 day early. How easy would it be to get from the airport in St Petesburg or in Moscow to the hotel VCR is using?

3. Any other suggestions for booking air to Russia?

Thanks for the help.

We went with Amadeus and they used lots of different airlines. We actually booked the flight they would have used, but booked it ourselves instead of through them, saving $300 a ticket. (It was Air France, routed from Miami to Paris and on to Russia.)

As far as arriving a day early, that can be problematic due to the Visa situation. You need a Russian visa and need an invitation from your cruise company to be there. Unless they offer a precruise hotel package, you would need a second invitation from whatever hotel you book in order to have the dates of the visa extended. It got to be too much of a hassle for us, as Amadeus did not offer precruise packages, so we gave up and arrived on the day the cruise started.

With the problems of the Visa in arriving early, that will determine my selection to begin my trip in Moscow. If I miss something because of delayed air flights I would rather miss the 1st day in Moscow and not the offering in St Petersburg.

Thanks for the information on the Russian Visa.

Last year we flew from New York JFK on FinnAir to Helsinki, then a second FinnAir flight from Helsinki to St. Petersburg (short flight.) We were met and taken to the Viking Kirov, which became our "hotel" for the days we were in St. P. In Moscow, again our boat was our "hotel" and we left Russia on FinnAir for Helsinki, and a second flight to New York. We had previously been to St. Petersburg as well as Helsinki, so didn't need a hotel stay - this worked very well for us.

Your travel agent can probably tell you what airlines will be used - we know now what airline will be used for another river cruise planned for several family members for May - even what time the flights leave and arrive.

I flew to St. Petersburg this summer on a Viking cruise on Lufthansa from JFK connecting through Frankfurt. Everything went smoothly. You can arrange for a visa to Russia coming in a day earlier. My friends took a Viking cruise & stayed an extra week in Moscow after the cruise. If you use Viking's recommended visa service, let them know you'll be arriving a day early. That should work for you.

• 4 months later...

We are going on the VRC -Russian Waterways on 5/19/08 and would like to know what the best way is to get to the Viking Kirov from the Moscow airport and then back to the St. Pete airport at the end of the cruise. We are flying Finnair and booked the flights ourselves. We also have hired a private guide for 1 1/2 days in St. Pete and would like to know if anyone wants to share the private touring with us.

Rleiken,

I would recommend you call Viking to ask them about transfers for you. It depends on which airport you'll be flying into. One is quite a distance outside Moscow - Domodedovo. My friends flew into this airport, & I was able to help them to arrange for transfers for them. The closer in airport - Sheremetyevo, is much less of a problem since it's fairly close to where the ship docks in Moscow. TT

Rleiken,

I would recommend you call Viking to ask them about transfers for you. It depends on which airport you'll be flying into. One is quite a distance outside Moscow - Domodedovo. My friends flew into this airport, & I was able to help them to arrange for transfers for them. The closer in airport - Sheremetyevo, is much less of a problem since it's fairly close to where the ship docks in Moscow. TT

I flew out of Domodedovo and I have to say it was an incredible airport. It is farther but a very modern airport. I had the cruise line (Amadeus) arrange transfers and it was quite affordable compared to doing it on my own.

It appears FinnAir uses Sheremetyevo. Definitely check with the cruise line for transfers. Taxis in Moscow can be $$$$.

Archived