HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

One would think that agents would view this as an opportunity. Call the client/let them know their cruise has been cancelled and ask for a few days time to see if some form of "disappointment-inconvenience" compensation can be arranged. Problem solved.
My TA and I were on the phone, talked about other HAL options that did not involve flying, came up with several possibilities within ten minutes (she is my regular gal and knows my preferences -- last cruise, I called and said, "Noordam, January 26" and that's all she needed to hear).

In the last few days, I weighed the options and on Monday, I will book the substitute cruise. No comps needed; just some quick calls to HAL to get pricing on the three alternates we found. I'm happy, she's happy, HAL's happy. Bless this proactive TA!

Sorry, I do not agree. The contract between a cruise line and travel agency does not provide for consumer- cruise line contact as it relates to the booking. Afterall, the cruise line is paying the agency a commission to offload the customer care function.
Precisely right. The cruise line should never contact a TA's customers directly about bookings.

It isn't a new one. There aren't very many new itineraries for the Caribbean. The best I've seen, for people who don't need many sea days, is Maasdam's new 14 dayer. That is great

FLL

At Sea

At Sea

San Juan

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

Dominica

Barbados

St. Lucia

Guadaloupe

St. Maarten

Tortola

HMC

FLL

What is especially good is that almost all of these ports has almost a full day in port. Sometimes San Juan is 7 A.M. to 12 noon or something like that. This cruise, they are there many more hours. Same for most of the ports.

Hey Sail,

The above is a great itinerary and we're thinking of taking it...but I think there is one sea day missing between Tortola and HMC.

Also, while I persuing the 2008 Caribbean itineraries I noticed that the ms Veendam originally was scheduled for 14-day cruises out of Tampa on November 9 and 30. Those have been changed to 7-day Western Caribbean cruises. Therefore there are no 14-day HAL cruises out of Tampa after March 16, 2008....

Hey Sail,

The above is a great itinerary and we're thinking of taking it...but I think there is one sea day missing between Tortola and HMC.

Also, while I persuing the 2008 Caribbean itineraries I noticed that the ms Veendam originally was scheduled for 14-day cruises out of Tampa on November 9 and 30. Those have been changed to 7-day Western Caribbean cruises. Therefore there are no 14-day HAL cruises out of Tampa after March 16, 2008....

There could be another sea day in there. I jotted this down on an envelope as my cruise consultant read it off. I could have missed a sea day in doing the quick notations.

We have taken the 14 day Tampa round trip cruise on Ryndam and loved it. We were booked on that cruise for this November on Veendam to do it again but cancelled. We're doing ten days on Maasdam from FLL in place of it.

Sorry, I do not agree. ........

You're kidding!!!!;) We don't agree????:D :D

For the record, I never suggested that HAL contact the passengers directly when they had booked through a TA. I think I was very clear that HAL should notify the passengers who booked directly with HAL.

But I stand by my conviction that HAL is responsible for notifying the TA's and they in turn notify their clients. I don't believe the burden falls on the TA to keep track of every cruise.

In this case, simply taking the cruises off the booking engine is not sufficient. That is not notification. And that's what I've been given to understand happened here.

If that info in incorrect which it may be, then the whole scenario changes. But many here have posted that their TA's were NOT notified of the cancellations and, in fact, even HAL reps reached by phone did not know of the cancellations!!!

The buck stops with HAL if that's the case. It's absolutely inexcusable. If they didn't alert their own reps, I'm positive they didn't notify the TA's.

No.....not Veendam. If we decide to do another 14 day Caribbean, it will probably be Maasdam's. The itinerary I posted is for Maasdam out of FLL. Veendam is doing 14 days (on selected dates) out of Tampa.

We like that Maasdam itinerary but I don't want to be away 17 days. DH wants to book.

"Holland America Line will have ten ships sailing the Caribbean in 2008 and through April 2009, offering 189 sailings. In 2008, ships depart from Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and New York; in 2009, gateways feature Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. The Noordam, which will sail out of New York in 2008, moves to Ft Lauderdale to offer the popular Seafarer/Wayfarer itineraries."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/media/newsRelease.do?fileName=/200707/10_Caribbean_01.xml

KK --

So what will you be doing tomc???
Sorry; thought I posted my plans up above. Apparently not.

I'm taking the Maasdam b2b from Boston-Montreal-Boston on August 30 to September 13, 2008. I get to see my family twice while in Quebec City, on alternate days, with the Montreal turn-around between them.

I much prefer the NE/C run, rather than going to the Caribbean, but the latter is much easier to catch, so I've been there/going there three times. It's back to my really favorite cruise in the Fall of 2008. Love it, love it, love it.

That's wonderful, Tom.

We just booked to return and do those cruises again back-to-back next summer. Once again, we are doing the set just ahead of yours. This is the second time that has been the case. :)

We, like you, cannot get enough of that cruise. I'm happy you understand. Some folks cannot understand us loving it so much we do it again and again. ;)

Very happy you have found the perfect alternative to your cancelled Noordam cruise.

Checked my online immigration check in for our Oct 4 2008 trip leaving Rome. They still show New York as destination port:confused: . when I called HAl the other day to check on our booking, they do not even show us on this sailing:eek: . Will call Amex Monday to try and get this cleared up. Probably will cancel as we do not like the new port line up.:(

[

We have taken the 14 day Tampa round trip cruise on Ryndam and loved it. We were booked on that cruise for this November on Veendam to do it again but cancelled. We're doing ten days on Maasdam from FLL in place of it.

Ooooh. That's too bad. I would hate to have a 14 day booked and then have to switch to a 10. 14 days are the best and we much prefer sailing from Tampa. I hate to see Veendam stop the 14 day cruises. We took it and loved it.

Ooooh. That's too bad. I would hate to have a 14 day booked and then have to switch to a 10. 14 days are the best and we much prefer sailing from Tampa. I hate to see Veendam stop the 14 day cruises. We took it and loved it.

Oh Peaches.... You misunderstand. :)

It was a choice happily and freely made. We will do our customary pre and post cruise stay in FLL and turn it into 13 days. Perfect for ME! I don't like to be away 17 days at this point. And while we like Veendam just fine, we have switched to the beautiful and elegant ms Maasdam. :)

No.....not Veendam. If we decide to do another 14 day Caribbean, it will probably be Maasdam's. The itinerary I posted is for Maasdam out of FLL. Veendam is doing 14 days (on selected dates) out of Tampa.

We like that Maasdam itinerary but I don't want to be away 17 days. DH wants to book.

Just booked Maasdam for a 10-day Carib next 04 APR 08. It's not going to St.Thomas which is fine by me:rolleyes: . Looking forward to sailing her again since our last time in 2001

:) John.... We MIGHT be on that cruise. We are seriously thinking about it.

We'll decide in the next month or so...probably less. We'd love to sail with you even prior to all of us scheduled to be on Eurodam.

:) John.... We MIGHT be on that cruise. We are seriously thinking about it.

We'll decide in the next month or so...probably less. We'd love to sail with you even prior to all of us scheduled to be on Eurodam.

Come on down S7S, that would be fun! - still owe you a Wang Wang;)

Knowing you and DW will be aboard is enough to push the decision toward......You 'betcha. But can I switch that offer to a red wine? :)

We have nothing booked between November and Eurodam (July). Too long between so we are looking at that cruise. ;)

We're not crazy about Martinique. St. Lucia's okay. Not a fav.

HAL dropped the ball big time on this booking. We booked onboard in arch for two future cruises. Amex didn't have a record of either cruise being booked. We have credit card receipts and booking numbers for each cruise. Hopefully everything is now OK for our March cruise.Hal show Amex as our travel agent even though we told them we were going to use someone else. After numerous faxes and phone calls to Amex for a booking they didn't show or do any work for they refused to release the reservation. We now have an online TA. Now have to get this next mess taken care of. We love Noordam alot that is why we are trying to salvage something.

That's wonderful, Tom.

We just booked to return and do those cruises again back-to-back next summer. Once again, we are doing the set just ahead of yours. This is the second time that has been the case. :)

We, like you, cannot get enough of that cruise. I'm happy you understand. Some folks cannot understand us loving it so much we do it again and again. ;)

Very happy you have found the perfect alternative to your cancelled Noordam cruise.

S7S, I've been meaning to ask: How does a back to back work? Do you simply just book two cruises, one after the other, or are they actually advertised as "back to back" with a special rate? I've always been curious about this!

Archived