HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

Neither e-mail response is a surprise. Both are copies of the same form-letter that, clearly, was devised for use in response to people complaining about the dropping of NYC as a homeport. Elements of it are probably used in letters/e-mails responding to other similar/related complaints. Indeed, the beginning of the e-mail is probably standard in all responses.

Greg, I agree, but at least someone heard us and if we bombard them with mail, maybe they will sit up and take notice and do as they suggest and have enough ships coming in and out of NY to give those of us who like that port some options for cruises.

Greg, I agree, but at least someone heard us and if we bombard them with mail, maybe they will sit up and take notice and do as they suggest and have enough ships coming in and out of NY to give those of us who like that port some options for cruises.

Carol, it's a great idea in theory but while they'll placate everyone with a nice note (and I applaud they respond ... some wouldn't), the reality is that they'll likely ignore it. In the scheme of things it's only a few voices.

As Southwest (my absolute favorite airline) has continued to cut back on their schedule, they eliminated all the decent flights from here to Providence. I wrote the CEO and expressed the disappointment just on one flight alone when the "thru" passengers learned of the cancellations.

Southwest wrote me a very nice letter explaining in much the same way HAL is .... that they're sorry I'm disappointed, that they would forward my letter to the scheduling department and they hope I continue to enjoy SW. Nothing has changed ... if anything the schedule is worse than before.

It's a business like any other and they can't make business decisions based on the fact that some people want to sail out of NY when they can get so many more to sail out of FL.

As I'm so fond of saying:o ..... "it is what it is".

We are very disappointed that the Noordam will not be sailing from New York City in the fall of 2008. We had planned on booking the 11 night itinerary, as we sailed the 10 night cruise on her this past winter.

Not many choices for winter 2008-2009 cruises out of New York.

Alan and Anne

Dear Ms. XXXXX,

We are in receipt of your e-mail addressed to Mr. Stein Kruse regarding the ms NOORDAM voyages out of New York. Mr. Kruse has reviewed your e-mail and has asked me to respond on his behalf.

First and foremost, we truly regret your disappointment and we appreciate your comments. For the past few years, Holland America Line has enjoyed sailing from New York to the Caribbean , and some have asked why we are leaving such a great homeport. As we evaluate upcoming cruise itineraries, we often face very difficult decisions. Leaving New York was one of these. Our guests are now looking for more diverse Caribbean cruise destinations and we are adding several new and expanded itineraries from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale .

New York has been a wonderful homeport for Holland America Line and because of that experience we will continue to sail to New York on a number of transatlantic cruises, Canada/New England cruises and more. Further, feedback is important to us and is definitely considered in the ongoing evaluation of our product. Since we take your input very seriously, we have made all appropriate senior management aware for their review and consideration in future planning.

Thank you for contacting our office. Also, we thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your cruise vacation and we look forward to serving you again on board the ms NOORDAM next year.

Warm regards,

XXXXXXXXX

Special Advisor

Office of the President

I just wanted to share this with you....

Laura

Yada,Yada,Yada......I knew this would be the response....although.....it was worth the try.....

Gee big surprise...maybe I won't even bother writing to HAL--all the replies are the same....:confused: no surprise..corporate BS

bye HAL.....you did a great disservice to those who wanted to take advantage of the last few cruises from NYC..you knew you were leaving-and decided to just bail out even earlier..NOT fair..NOT the way to do business...yes I know money is important but so is your customer base..and public relations...do you really think those you cancelled and those they told will forget?

My first cruise was on HAL and my special occasion cruise was to be on HAL..but not to be because HAL cancelled.....BYE.Hal....

My reply looks remarkably similiar. But, at least we have been heard. They did take the time to look up the fact that I have a future cruise booked since I did not include that information in my correspondence. I hope everyone who has concerns did email or wrote Mr. Kruse.

We are in receipt of your e-mail addressed to Mr. Stein Kruse regarding the ms NOORDAM voyages out of New York. Mr. Kruse has reviewed your e-mail and has asked me to respond on his behalf.

First and foremost, we truly regret your disappointment and we appreciate your comments. For the past few years, Holland America Line has enjoyed sailing from New York to the Caribbean , and some have asked why we are leaving such a great homeport. As we evaluate upcoming cruise itineraries, we often face very difficult decisions. Leaving New York was one of these. Our guests are now looking for more diverse Caribbean cruise destinations and we are adding several new and expanded itineraries from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale .

New York has been a wonderful homeport for Holland America Line and because of that experience we will continue to sail to New York on a number of transatlantic cruises, Canada/New England cruises and more. Further, feedback is important to us and is definitely considered in the ongoing evaluation of our product. Since we take your input very seriously, we have made all appropriate senior management aware for their review and consideration in future planning.

Thank you for contacting our office. Also, we thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your cruise vacation and we look forward to serving you again on board the

ms NOORDAM next year.

Warm regards,

Ms. Sydney Leonor

Special Advisor

Office of the President

Thanks for posting...I didn't receive a response; oh, well...I'm sure it would be the same as yours!

Thanks for a great travel agent who was able to sort out the price that we would have to pay plus cruise credits after we decided to keep our reservation made for the New York cruise but now sailing from ft Lauderdale.

Customer service sent me three E Mails NONE that had the correct information. They made it seem that I was lucky that they would not charge me the additional $800 price increase once the port was changed...

After e-mailing s kruse about our problems with oct 8 cruise, he had someone in his staff contact us the same day to resolve our problems. We cancelled the transatlantic but booked a panama canal passage on the Zuiderdam for nov 08. she extended obc credits and a complimentary upgrade. was really surprised with this good service after reading about all the other problems. Turns out it was the travel agent from Amex that did not notify us of our changes. After being contacted by HAL he lied and said he spoke to us and we hadn't made a decision yet. what a crock. wait till i write Amex our next complaint letter!

Just curious- Can someone who was booked for the NY cruise that moved to Ft. Lauderdale, compare the old itinerary to the new and improved itinerary.

And are there no other ships in the HAL fleet that stop at the new and improved ports.

I think Noordam will be doing Maadam's 10 day roundtrip FLL and Maasdam got the new 14 day itinerary. That 14 dayer is fabulous.

We are booked on Maasdam this November doing one of her two 10 day itinerary which we have done many times in the past. We think it wonderful........... so, we also think the itinerary Noordam will be doing from FLL is wonderful. ;)

the itinery I was talking about was the change in the transatlantic itinery. We love any itinerary if on the Noordam, just not the new transatlantic. We are doing the Noordam in March again, and I hope we love the Zuiderdam in Nov 08 just as much. The Noordam crew and ship really spoils you.

Just looked at the last few posts and we are in the same predicament and didn't even know it! Seems our cruise on the Maasdam, 10 day Dec 3, 2008 has been changed/canceled to a 14 day on Dec 5th. I just happened to find it when I was looking at the HAL site for something else. Our Dec 3rd cruise was gone! Called HAL last week and was told that our cruise was fine!! Checked website again today and it still was gone!

Contacted our TA and found that yes, the Maasdam cruise is now a 14 day on Dec 5th. HAL will keep our reservation and change it to the Noordam on Dec 7th, 10 day.

Problem is we wanted the MAASDAM!!! Not fond of the Vista ships. Plus the deal we were offered was really not a deal to me.

Very disheartend with HAL and maybe the TA. Not so much because they changed their routes etc. They can do that. Just should tell me!

Our Veendam cruise in Nov may well be our last HAL cruise.

Just looked at the last few posts and we are in the same predicament and didn't even know it! Seems our cruise on the Maasdam, 10 day Dec 3, 2008 has been changed/canceled to a 14 day on Dec 5th. I just happened to find it when I was looking at the HAL site for something else. Our Dec 3rd cruise was gone! Called HAL last week and was told that our cruise was fine!! Checked website again today and it still was gone!Contacted our TA and found that yes, the Maasdam cruise is now a 14 day on Dec 5th. HAL will keep our reservation and change it to the Noordam on Dec 7th, 10 day. Problem is we wanted the MAASDAM!!! Not fond of the Vista ships. Plus the ed was really not a deal to me. Very disheartend with HAL and maybe the TA. Not so much because they changed their routes etc. They can do that. Just should tell me! Our Veendam cruise in Nov may well be our last HAL cruise.

HAL certainly has a way of stirring the pot with all these changes!

I think Noordam will be doing Maadam's 10 day roundtrip FLL and Maasdam got the new 14 day itinerary. That 14 dayer is fabulous.

We are booked on Maasdam this November doing one of her two 10 day itinerary which we have done many times in the past. We think it wonderful........... so, we also think the itinerary Noordam will be doing from FLL is wonderful. ;)

Thanks, you are correct. The Noordam will be taking the10 day sailings from FLL and the Maasdam will be doing 14 day cruises up until 12-19-2008. The schedule is blank for 4 weeks---possibly DRYDOCK ??

I have re-booked my Maasdam trip to the 11-27-2008 Noordam sailing

(Thanksgiving Day). HAL treated me fairly. I got OBC PLUS moved my reservation at no extra $$$$. I cheked the cruise on HAL website yesterday and the quoted price was $480.00 MORE than what I paid for my prior reservation (That is for SOLO rate)

I am happy even though I really wanted to sail Maasdam.

Rich :cool: :cool:

I'm very happy it worked out so well for you, Rich. You're going to love Noordam. Almost everyone has. It is rare here when we read a lot of negative as concerns Noordam. She's a gorgeous ship, with a fabulous crew, doing a good itinerary. Makes for a good cruise!! :)

As to the four weeks where Maasdam is unaccounted for, maybe you're right it is a wet or dry dock but it also could combine some charter time as well. I don't know and am only speculating.

Archived