HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

Alas, we too were disappointed with the movement of the Noordam out of NYC. We had the November 8, 2008 cruise booked for our 40th wedding anniversary with a week pre-cruise in the big apple. My wife has never been there and has been wanting to go for years. I was there as a kid (only a few years ago - smiling) but have never returned. Alas, now it is Ft. Lauderdale for 10 days leaving a day later or get a refund. I had to tell my travel agent about the change - she had not been informed by HAL. Imagine her suprise when I asked her to check the cruise and found out that all the NYC sailings at that time were cancelled. Yes, they offered us a small cabin credit and kept the same price. I complained that the cruise from Ft. Lauderdale was 10 days while the one from NYC was 11 days so why wouldn't it be a bit cheaper. Then I looked at the web site price and was surprised that the cost had gone up significantly - even though the cruise is over 1 year away. Anyway, I understand and we are really disappointed.

Heather, thanks so much for your imput. Down the road, we will definately give Celebrity a try. I appreciate your level headed responses so trust your opinion.

We are booked for our 2008 Caribbean and are saving our pennies for a European cruise in 2009. Haven't quite figured out where we want to go yet, but it's in the planning and discussion stages.Might even do the Eurodam if she's in Europe when we want to go.:D

Carol, thank you:) .... I really feel reasonably confident that most people who like HAL will like Celebrity. There are exceptions, of course, and they've posted those opinions strongly on this board.

And you can kill me if you hate it!!!!;)

Heather, I'm in the same boat as Carol. Ha...no pun intended! Actually, I am in the same boat as Carol...LOL!

How do the ships compare...HAL to Celebrity? I love the beds on HAL...that's a big plus. How are the beds and other stateroom amenities? I, too, trust your judgement, so will be anxious to hear your input.

Carol, thank you:) .... I really feel reasonably confident that most people who like HAL will like Celebrity. There are exceptions, of course, and they've posted those opinions strongly on this board.

And you can kill me if you hate it!!!!;)

But Heather, I'd have to FLY to Florida to do that.:D

Carol, LOL! You can drive here:D !! Or you can kill me when I'm up your way;)

Heather, I'm in the same boat as Carol. Ha...no pun intended! Actually, I am in the same boat as Carol...LOL!

How do the ships compare...HAL to Celebrity? I love the beds on HAL...that's a big plus. How are the beds and other stateroom amenities? I, too, trust your judgement, so will be anxious to hear your input.

Okay .... well, here goes:) . If you get CC or better on the Celebrity M class, the beds are great ... and you get a choice of pillows. I'm not sure I can say the beds mirror HAL's beds on the Oosterdam (they had just upgraded them when we sailed on her), but they are just as good as the one we had on Prinsendam which had been "broken in" for awhile:) .

As for amenities, we cruise CC class on Celebrity and an "A" or "B" on HAL. I'm comparing Vista class and "M" class. So the amenities were a cut above on Celebrity because they have fresh flowers in the cabin in that class, appetizers around 4:00, special robes, pillow choices, priority boarding, etc.

The standard verandah cabins are a bit smaller on Celebrity, but for some reason I feel I have more storage space on Celebrity ... more places to tuck stuff away. The TV is in a better place, has its own diagonal niche across from the bed. Celebrity has sliders to the verandah which is a big plus and a full length huge mirror opposite the bed which makes the room appear larger.

As for the ships, it's not fair of me to compare because I'm not a fan of the layout of the Vista class. I think it's a choppy design. However, I loved the Maasdam and Prinsendam. So Vista vs M class, Celebrity wins hands down. I love those ships! Love the T-pool (free) and Spa food area. The shops area is just wonderful. I love that the entire starboard side is smoke-free and smoking is allowed on the port side (where smoking is permitted) so it's easy to remember where to be if you want to smoke or not (even on the aft Lido deck (it's not called Lido, but I'm calling it that so you know where I mean).

There are many many members here on HAL who would disagree with me. Just as you would find it unusual for people to cheer HAL on the Celebrity board, it's equally unusual here.

I love so many things about HAL ... I just give Celebrity the edge. And I think it's enough of an edge that we'll be cruising Celebrity (or some others we're considering) from now on. Any other questions, email me and I'll be happy to answer.

Hi,

I'm one of the many who live right outside NYC who were disappointed with the Noordam move to Fort Lauderdale.

We're booked in December '08 - but DH and DS HATE to fly!

Anyone ever driven to Florida from New York in the beginning of December to cruise ? - I know it's a 2 day trip each way, but it looks like my choices will be to cancel, drive or try to talk them into flying.

Thanks for the help.

Janet

Oriole, Take Amtrak, or the Grand Luxe Express, to Ft Lauderdale. Although I would much prefer to get on a ship in NYC, we have been taking trains to and from Florida for years. On Amtrak, get a "deluxe bedroom". You get a lovely little room with bunk beds and a private toilet and shower. If you want more space, get a deluxe bedroom suite which is a combination of 2 deluxe bedrooms. The food isn't very good but the trip is only 30 hours(to/from NYC) and is VERY comfortable. If you luck out with your schedule you can take the Grand Luxe Express (one of the American Orient Express services) from Washington D.C. to/from Florida. This is extremely luxurious and has great food.

Oh My God! Thirty hours, that's 30 hours, on the train and I would be a basket case. But driving to FLA would probably throw me over the edge. It would have to take us four days each way, a very leisurely drive. Think I'll try leaving from NJ first.

I too sail with Celebrity, on occasion. I think they have a comparable product. I love, love, love the included thermal pool. I prefer the sincerity of HAL's crew over that of Celebrity.

Food is too subjective to even comment. I will however, say that HAL has an edge with Room Service and the Lido.

I like the cabins , post SOE, on HAL better.

The evening entertainment on Celebrity is like HAL, a hit or miss.

I think only their Canadian sails are R/T, out of Bayone. The rest will require a one way flight home.

Hammy, I didn't notice your post before. Thanks for the info. I trust your opinion too. I guess my cruising experience is going to have to be in for some exciting changes in the future.

Now, I'll wind up reading and posting on two boards and it can replace my job. LOL:D

Hammy, I didn't notice your post before. Thanks for the info. I trust your opinion too. I guess my cruising experience is going to have to be in for some exciting changes in the future.

Now, I'll wind up reading and posting on two boards and it can replace my job. LOL:D

Just booked the QM2 out of Brooklyn 10nt for 12/10/07. Pricing is very reasonable and on parity with the Noordam.

"One Door Shuts another opens"

I wish !!! me five... but since my Oct.28 2008 cruise was cancelled-I can find NO other alternative....

Flying to Fl. is not what I wanted- (more expensive for me) esp for a 10 day not 11...

Booking on another noordam cruise ( before it leaves NYC)-is now more expensive--and not right time of year..

there are no other cruises to book on other HAL ships out of NYC....

So --now I am down to get a refund for the cruise I really wanted...and begin to search all over for another trip (probably not a cruise-since there is nothing comparable out of NYC for that time)....

good bye HAL...you have lost a customer...

As I'm not really crazy about a larger ship, I'm wondering if they'll move one of the fleet from FLL to Tampa? (Which is closer for us).

I have no desire to sail the Noordam.... I don't care if it's in NY or FLL.

Or, better yet, NEW ORLEANS or MOBILE! :)

Nononanette,

I am booked on the Noordam Feb 08. Any reason you would not sail on her ?

Got tired of waiting for contact from our TA or HAL regarding change in destination for our Oct 8 Noordam cruise, so I e-mailed S Kruse about the problem. Received a phone call the same night and also today from the reservations manager. They are working very hard to solve our problems and working on a new reservation for us on another cruise. With all the griping I thought they should get credit when they deserve it.

We took a Carribbean cruise from NYC on Noordam last year. It was a very good cruise and a very nice ship. Nevertheless we prefer the ships of Regent Seven Seas and Seabourn. Without the advantage of a New York departure and arrival, we will no longer consider HAL. If we have to fly to get on a cruise, the ship has to be a smaller, super deluxe ship with an extremely high square foot to passenger ratio.

We also have a condo in Miami Beach. Since we are near both the Miami and Port Everglades cruise terminals, we have the choice of taking cruises on Regent, Seabourn and Crystal when we are living there.

While the Noordam sailed from NYC, it was, in our opinion, the best ship sailing to the tropics from NYC. From Florida, we have choices that we, personally, find more attractive.

jaja

Maybe you will have to start to fly to your cruise embarkation port like so many of us have not choice to do but fly.

I hate flying but if we want to cruise we have no choice but to fly.

Please remember that, unfortunately for some, like my parents, flying isn't an option for medical reasons. For them, and I'm sure others, it has to be NYC/NJ or they cannot cruise. It's a shame for all of those impacted in that manner.

Dear Ms. XXXXX,

We are in receipt of your e-mail addressed to Mr. Stein Kruse regarding the ms NOORDAM voyages out of New York. Mr. Kruse has reviewed your e-mail and has asked me to respond on his behalf.

First and foremost, we truly regret your disappointment and we appreciate your comments. For the past few years, Holland America Line has enjoyed sailing from New York to the Caribbean , and some have asked why we are leaving such a great homeport. As we evaluate upcoming cruise itineraries, we often face very difficult decisions. Leaving New York was one of these. Our guests are now looking for more diverse Caribbean cruise destinations and we are adding several new and expanded itineraries from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale .

New York has been a wonderful homeport for Holland America Line and because of that experience we will continue to sail to New York on a number of transatlantic cruises, Canada/New England cruises and more. Further, feedback is important to us and is definitely considered in the ongoing evaluation of our product. Since we take your input very seriously, we have made all appropriate senior management aware for their review and consideration in future planning.

Thank you for contacting our office. Also, we thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your cruise vacation and we look forward to serving you again on board the ms NOORDAM next year.

Warm regards,

XXXXXXXXX

Special Advisor

Office of the President

I just wanted to share this with you....

Laura

My reply looks remarkably similiar. But, at least we have been heard. They did take the time to look up the fact that I have a future cruise booked since I did not include that information in my correspondence. I hope everyone who has concerns did email or wrote Mr. Kruse.

We are in receipt of your e-mail addressed to Mr. Stein Kruse regarding the ms NOORDAM voyages out of New York. Mr. Kruse has reviewed your e-mail and has asked me to respond on his behalf.

First and foremost, we truly regret your disappointment and we appreciate your comments. For the past few years, Holland America Line has enjoyed sailing from New York to the Caribbean , and some have asked why we are leaving such a great homeport. As we evaluate upcoming cruise itineraries, we often face very difficult decisions. Leaving New York was one of these. Our guests are now looking for more diverse Caribbean cruise destinations and we are adding several new and expanded itineraries from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale .

New York has been a wonderful homeport for Holland America Line and because of that experience we will continue to sail to New York on a number of transatlantic cruises, Canada/New England cruises and more. Further, feedback is important to us and is definitely considered in the ongoing evaluation of our product. Since we take your input very seriously, we have made all appropriate senior management aware for their review and consideration in future planning.

Thank you for contacting our office. Also, we thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your cruise vacation and we look forward to serving you again on board the

ms NOORDAM next year.

Warm regards,

Ms. Sydney Leonor

Special Advisor

Office of the President

Neither e-mail response is a surprise. Both are copies of the same form-letter that, clearly, was devised for use in response to people complaining about the dropping of NYC as a homeport. Elements of it are probably used in letters/e-mails responding to other similar/related complaints. Indeed, the beginning of the e-mail is probably standard in all responses.

Archived