HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

I can't contain my excitement if "My" :) Maasdam will be doing the 14 day Southern Caribbean Itinerary. I may just move aboard and stay there!!

Can't wait to find out what wonderful things they have planned for that great ship. ;)

Could it be the Maasdam is being redeployed to Tampa? About a month ago, there was an article in our Tampa Bay newspaper indicating that an additional ship would be coming to the port, but could not say at the time which line or ship it would be.

Don't think so as HAL site was showing Lauderdale 14 nighters in 4/09.

As I'm quite sure that all on this board know, the 2007-2009 destination calendar on HAL's website shows the cruising regions by month for all their ships (but not their homeports). It also shows when the ships will be in wet/drydock (shown as "under construction"). For example, ms Noordam is out of service the last two weeks of March 2009.

As I'm quite sure that all on this board know, the 2007-2009 destination calendar on HAL's website shows the cruising regions by month for all their ships (but not their homeports). It also shows when the ships will be in wet/drydock (shown as "under construction"). For example, ms Noordam is out of service the last two weeks of March 2009.

Thanks Frost. I forgot about the Destination Calendar as it relates to scheduled dry/wet dock. Perhaps others have too.:)

I just checked the HAL website.

The Noordam is indeed on the winter schedule for '09, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. :(

Also on the schedule at Ft. Lauderdale is the Eurodam, Maasdam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam.

The Veendam is the only one leaving from Tampa.

I just checked the HAL website.

The Noordam is indeed on the winter schedule for '09, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. :(

She's been listed for 09 for a while now. What's new is the news that they're shifting her immediately upon her return from Europe in the Fall of 08. She was, originally, supposed to return from Europe to NYC and do her 10/11 day cruises to the Caribbean from NYC up to Christmas (or thereabouts).

HAL's website now has the Noordam listed beginning in October 08 as sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. That first Cruise is October 18, after her 14 day crossing from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

AND, you can get pricing for the new Maasdam bookings, too. 14 Days Southern Caribbean cruises out of Fort Lauderdale. SIGN ME UP! I'm thinking January 2009, Mom and I.

I don't know if it is all updated yet but I just found this.

Oct 24 USED TO BE A 10 DAY CRUISE.

Tue Oct 14, 20081010-DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEANms Maasdambtn_view_g.gifbtn_price.gifFort Lauderdale, Florida to Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Fri Oct 24, 20081414-DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEANms Maasdambtn_view_g.gifbtn_price.gif Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thanks, Greg. I hadn't check '09 until today.

And, I see that they're beginning the 10 day Caribbean Seafarer and Wayfarer itineraries from Fort Lauderdale on October 18, '09.

The Noordam and Maasdam itineraries do look good...especially the Maasdam!

I don't know if it is all updated yet but I just found this.

Oct 24 USED TO BE A 10 DAY CRUISE.

Tue Oct 14, 20081010-DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEANms Maasdambtn_view_g.gifbtn_price.gifFort Lauderdale, Florida to Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Fri Oct 24, 20081414-DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEANms Maasdambtn_view_g.gifbtn_price.gif Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It think that the October 14th being a 10-day cruise reflects the time needed for the repositioning from the North in the prior cruise. But, starting with October 24 they're 14-day Cruises. :) (Except for the Holiday 08 Carribean Cruise(s), which HAL doesn't yet list).

Interesting. The last 2008 cruise for the Maasdam listed is the December 5th 14-day sailing, which will end on December 19th. From then there's nothing listed until January 16th, which is a scheduled 14-day cruise. Question ... will HAL have a 14-day cruise for the Holiday 08, which hasn't been listed yet, or will they break that up and make two 7-day cruises, one for Christmas and one for New Years? There's room, following a cruise that ends on January 2, to have a standard 14-day cruise that would on January 16th, so I don't understand why one isn't scheduled ... UNLESS HAL is planning something else for the Maasdam for the Holiday schedule and the first half of January? Perhaps something special ... like two Trans-canals back and forth? There's time to go from FFL to San Diego and back (14 days from December 19th - January 2, then 14 days back from January 2 to January 16).

revneal - according to HAL's calendar Maasdam is scheduled to be in wet/drydock the first two weeks of January 2009.

Ah, yes, so she is. And the Noordam is scheduled for the second half of March, 09.

So. The Maasdam's Holiday Schedule will close her out before her next Dry Dock. That's good to know. It's also good to know that she'll be just out of upgrades, etc., for a late January cruise aboard her. :) I'm thinking about it ... if I can't swing a Tahiti cruise, that MIGHT be the way to go!

Here is the text of the actual HAL letter regarding the canceled Noordam sailings. I was booked on the Nov 29 departure and am devastated at not being able to sail from NY. There is a deadline of 10-12 to tell them which option you choose!

Sob, sob!

September 24, 2007

Dear ms Noordam Guest,

Please be advised that we have cancelled the Noordam cruises below:

ms Noordam

Oct 18, 29; Nov 8, 19, 29; Dec 10, 2008

10-day Eastern or 11-day Southern Caribbean

New York Roundtrip

Holland America Line would like to offer you a choice of one of the three following options:

1. You may transfer your booking to one of the following cruises at rate paid

or the best available fare in the category booked.

ms Noordam:

10-day Wayfarer, Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip: Oct 18; Nov 7, Nov 27, 2008

OR

10-day Seafarer, Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip: Oct 28; Nov 17; Dec 7, 2008

PLUS: A Shipboard Credit will be applied to your new booking above based

on the stateroom category booked on the now-cancelled cruise:

$75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for current Verandah Stateroom or

Verandah Suite bookings

$50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for current Outside Stateroom bookings

$25 per person (up to $50 per stateroom) for current Inside Stateroom bookings

2. OR: You may rebook on any other Holland America Line cruise at the current

best available rate and receive a shipboard credit according to the above.

3. OR: Should you elect to cancel, Holland America Line will refund in full.

Taxes are additional and will be calculated based on the new booking.

Please contact your Travel Professional directly by October 12, 2007 to select one of the

three options above.

We apologize to you for any inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you on a

Holland America Line cruise in the future.

Holland America Line

New Itinerary for Maasdam:

October 24, November 7, November 21, December 5, 2008

Fourteen Days; Roundtrip Fort Lauderdale

FLL

Sea

Sea

San Juan

St. Thomas

St.Kitts

Dominica

Barbados

St. Lucia

Guadaloupe

St. Maarten

Tortola

HMC

FLL

VERY port intensive. GREAT itinerary, IMO

Just may have to book this one. Really like it. :)

New Itinerary for Maasdam:

October 24, November 7, November 21, December 5, 2008

Fourteen Days; Roundtrip Fort Lauderdale

FLL

Sea

Sea

San Juan

St. Thomas

St.Kitts

Dominica

Barbados

St. Lucia

Guadaloupe

St. Maarten

Tortola

HMC

FLL

VERY port intensive. GREAT itinerary, IMO

Just may have to book this one. Really like it. :)

I saw that today, Sail. I like it, too. Since the Noordam will no longer sail from NYC, I may have to book this one in January! Love the itinerary!

I saw that today, Sail. I like it, too. Since the Noordam will no longer sail from NYC, I may have to book this one in January! Love the itinerary!

We really like it, too, but I would be happier if it were 12 days. We always do two days pre-cruise if we have to fly to a port and one day post cruise. That totals 17 days away which is a little more than I like. DH is not retired and can barely be out of his office that long but 15 would be better.

We'll have to think about it.

... My parents really have health problems, so flying's going to be an issue for them....this ought to be a fun week for me to figure out what they're going to do for next year...:rolleyes:

What about the train? They can stand up and take a little walk anytime they want - maybe even get a sleeper so they can lie down and rest?

I wish our trains were as ubiquitous, fast, and convenient as those in Europe. Oh well.

"You may transfer your booking to one of the following cruises at rate paid

or the best available fare in the category booked"

I was one of the many booked on the 11/29/08 Noordam from NYC. I'm waiting to hear back from my TA, but if I transfer my booking to one of the cruises from Fort Lauderdale, do I pay the same fare as on the original cruise, or the higher one on the Fort Lauderdale cruise?

thanks!

Janet

"You may transfer your booking to one of the following cruises at rate paid

or the best available fare in the category booked"

I was one of the many booked on the 11/29/08 Noordam from NYC. I'm waiting to hear back from my TA, but if I transfer my booking to one of the cruises from Fort Lauderdale, do I pay the same fare as on the original cruise, or the higher one on the Fort Lauderdale cruise?

thanks!

Janet

September 24, 2007

Dear

ms Noordam Guest,

Please be advised that we have cancelled the Noordam cruises below:

ms Noordam

Oct 18, 29; Nov 8, 19, 29; Dec 10, 2008

10-day Eastern or 11-day Southern Caribbean

New York Roundtrip

Holland America Line would like to offer you a choice of one of the three following options:

1. You may transfer your booking to one of the following cruises at rate paid

or the best available fare in the category booked.

ms Noordam:

10-day Wayfarer, Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip: Oct 18; Nov 7, Nov 27, 2008

OR

10-day Seafarer, Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip: Oct 28; Nov 17; Dec 7, 2008

PLUS: A Shipboard Credit will be applied to your new booking above based

on the stateroom category booked on the now-cancelled cruise:

$75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for current Verandah Stateroom or

Verandah Suite bookings

$50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for current Outside Stateroom bookings

$25 per person (up to $50 per stateroom) for current Inside Stateroom bookings

2. OR: You may rebook on any other Holland America Line cruise at the current

best available rate and receive a shipboard credit according to the above.

3. OR: Should you elect to cancel, Holland America Line will refund in full.

Taxes are additional and will be calculated based on the new booking.

Please contact your Travel Professional directly by October 12, 2007 to select one of the

three options above.

We apologize to you for any inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you on a

Holland America Line cruise in the future.

Holland America Line

We really like it, too, but I would be happier if it were 12 days. We always do two days pre-cruise if we have to fly to a port and one day post cruise. That totals 17 days away which is a little more than I like. DH is not retired and can barely be out of his office that long but 15 would be better.

We'll have to think about it.

We do the same. Last time we sailed out of FFL, we arrived on Wednesday for the cruise leaving on Saturday. It was only a 7 day cruise, but when we returned, we drove over to the West Coast and stayed another week in Naples, and flew back from Tampa.

If I'm having to fly to Florida, it seems silly to just fly down and back for a cruise...may as well spend a bit of time enjoying the warm weather in Florida.

Archived