HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

Knitlady, if it's important to you to go out of NYC (and it obviously is), I would definitely look at other cruise lines and see what's available for you. I don't know what your itinerary was, but Celebrity (and maybe RCL) sail out of Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ. You might want to see what they might have available.

I know that if I booked a cruise out of FL so I didn't have to fly and was suddenly informed the cruise would now go out of NYC that would be that. Case closed ... I'd find another cruise that suit me.

Certainly, if HAL and the particularly itinerary are super important to you then you could look into taking the train down here. But those really are your only options.

I'm so sorry you were disappointed. I know I would definitely be upset, but there's nothing you can do about it so try not to dwell on it:) .

I see so many horror stories about Amtrak on our news I would hate to take it to something for which I absolutely had to be there at a certain time. (of course all of our news here is horror stories about one thing or another) What I really mean is that many times a derailment of say a freight train messes up the tracks and your train is delayed for hours (or days) or there is an accident with a motor vehicle and your train is stopped - at least with an airplane there are other flights.

So what cruise lines will be sailing from NYC? I'm one of those who won't fly.

Next winter?

RCCL's Explorer of the Seas will have 9 night Eastern Caribbean and 12 night Southern Caribbean sailings out of Bayonne, NJ

NCL Jade will have 10 night Southern Caribbean sailings and 11 night Western Caribbean sailings out of NYC. And NCL Gem is also supposed to be doing Southern Caribbean sailings.

Quick question - the 11/08 Noordam out of NYC we were cancelled from wasto the Eastern Carribean. The Noordam Fort Lauderdale cruises we can make are both Southern Caribbean. Has anyone done the "Wayfarer" or "Seafarer" itinerary?

We've only been in the Eastern Caribbean before..Any suggestions on which Southern itinerary to choose. We've been to Tortola on one choice and St. Thomas on the other.

Thanks for your help!

Janet

You can also be trapped on the tarmac for nine hours with no way to get onto another flight. Bottom line, leave an extra day if you're embarking in any city other than your own. Better yet, leave a few days early and add a visit to the port city as a part of the vacation.

(Note: this is a general idea, not necessarily useful for the situation of the OP on this thread. Moving the Noordam away from NYC is a shame and if it were me I would probably find a different cruise line that DID go out of NYC or thereabouts.)

Knitlady, if it's important to you to go out of NYC (and it obviously is), I would definitely look at other cruise lines and see what's available for you. I don't know what your itinerary was, but Celebrity (and maybe RCL) sail out of Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ. You might want to see what they might have available. :) .

Heather, this is a transatlantic/repositioning sailing from Rome and the destination port changed from NYC to FLL.

Waht would you do if your destination port was changed to a different city without notice? Our Oct 4 2008 sailing was changed from New York to Fort Lauderdale without notice. We don't want to fly after a cruise, so what do you think our options are now?:mad:

I am not sure I understand this. You have 13 months advance notice of the change in destination port.

Given this sailing originates in Rome, how were you planning to get to Rome?

I am thinking that either you fly from the new destination port or you cancel your cruise and find another that sails from Europe into NYC.

I am not sure I understand this. You have 13 months advance notice of the change in destination port.

Given this sailing originates in Rome, how were you planning to get to Rome?

I am thinking that either you fly from the new destination port or you cancel your cruise and find another that sails from Europe into NYC.

Well, I'm confused!!!! I'm sorry! I thought she was saying it was originally sailing out of NY and now it's sailing out of FLL .... my mistake!:eek: I thought it was the Noordam switch from NY to FLL and just assumed it was a Caribbean cruise ... never should assume!!!!! ;)

Just looked it up and you're right, Hammybee ... it's Rome to FLL. So Knitlady just didn't want to fly at the end of the cruise. I get it now.

Well, I'm confused!!!! I'm sorry! I thought she was saying it was originally sailing out of NY and now it's sailing out of FLL .... my mistake!:eek: I thought it was the Noordam switch from NY to FLL and just assumed it was a Caribbean cruise ... never should assume!!!!! ;)

Just looked it up and you're right, Hammybee ... it's Rome to FLL. So Knitlady just didn't want to fly at the end of the cruise. I get it now.

I'm just as confused. I assumed knitlady didn't want to fly. Period. So assumed the cruise left from NYC to the Caribbean and back again. But, if she's flying to Europe, I don't see what the problem is just flying from Fort Lauderdale to NY. I'm so confused!:eek:

I'm just as confused. I assumed knitlady didn't want to fly. Period. So assumed the cruise left from NYC to the Caribbean and back again. But, if she's flying to Europe, I don't see what the problem is just flying from Fort Lauderdale to NY. I'm so confused!:eek:

Knitlady said she did not want to fly after the cruise.

Who knows, maybe she is taking the Spring repositioning cruise from NYC to Rome and summering there and planned to return the same way she got there.

It it were me, I'd cancel and find another ship within HAL or another cruise line. We like to cruise from Florida, so if my cruise was moved to another departure or return state, I'd cancel. It's a long ways off...so you have plenty of time to make changes. I suppose if there was nothing remotely close to that cruise offered by another line or on another HAL ship, I'd deal with it.

Whatever you end up doing...have a great time. :)

Quick question - the 11/08 Noordam out of NYC we were cancelled from wasto the Eastern Carribean. The Noordam Fort Lauderdale cruises we can make are both Southern Caribbean. Has anyone done the "Wayfarer" or "Seafarer" itinerary?

We've only been in the Eastern Caribbean before..Any suggestions on which Southern itinerary to choose. We've been to Tortola on one choice and St. Thomas on the other.

Thanks for your help!

Janet

I have been to all those ports mulitple times. I think they are great. IMO the Southern Caribbean is much better than an Eastern itinerary. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Check the ports of call boards.

One island on one itinerary, Dominica, people either hate or love. This is not a shopping or beach type port.

The other itinerary has Martinque, which is in port a short time, and is not popular with some.

Our travel agent still has not got an answer other then the form letter what the price difference will be on the Oct 18 cruise. We booked for an eleven day cruise and now it has been changed to a 10 day cruise. I think we expect more then a cruise credit. How about a full paid day credit as well. No sense to pay for eleven days and get ten days.

Hi Billp1,

Don't hold your breath. I seriously doubt Hal is going to budge on this. I think it is a take it or leave situation.

My situation is a little different. I was booked on the Maasdam Oct 24 sailing which is now 14 days. I am getting kicked off of my cruise because they added 4 more days. My TA tried to get Hal to at least bring the price down to the same per diam that we booked at, but Hal refused. They wanted an outrageous amount of money. :mad:

My TA was NOT even notified, I called her. It is a very large agency in Florida that does a lot of Hal bookings. She put me on hold while she called Hal and she got the typical run around. Noooooooo nothing was changed. After pursuing it later that day they finally told her it was changed. :rolleyes:

In your situation, I see your point, they want to move you to a 10 day cruise from an 11 day cruise. I do think that you should be getting more than the on board credit.

Sorry you are losing your cruise, Gizmo. We priced those 14 day Maasdam cruises and probably will be booking one. The per diem we got is about what we usually pay per diem for that ship. I'd try again. Don't give up your cabin yet; you may find the price will improve with your TA. HAL was newly loading all these prices and who knows but there might be other discounts now loaded. When we first looked at it, only Mariner discounts were available.

Our hestitation is that we'll be away from home 17 days which is a little more than I am comfortable about these days. That 14 day itinerary is wonderful but I wish it were 12 days.

Knitlady said she did not want to fly after the cruise.

Who knows, maybe she is taking the Spring repositioning cruise from NYC to Rome and summering there and planned to return the same way she got there.

Right again, Hammy:) ... that's what she said, but I foolishly presumed she meant that she lived near NY and would be boarding there. Stupid assumption, but I do that all the time:o .

However, I have to say I just love your suggestion of cruising over to Rome, summering there and returning by cruise!!! Now THAT'S a nice summer!!!:D

Hi Billp1,

My TA was NOT even notified, I called her. It is a very large agency in Florida that does a lot of Hal bookings.

I have no doubt that there will be some bookings who will not be notified that their cruises have been changed. HAL notifies the agency and then word has to trickle down to the agents, the majority of them part time, at home contractors.

I am amazed as to how in the dark so many agents are, relative to their own bookings ( and thus their commissions), regardless of cruise line. And everyone of them blames the cruise line for failure to communicate. It's an easy out for them.

Change is very much a part of the travel business. A change in ports, chartering the entire ship out and sometimes revision of entire schedules is not uncommon in this business.

And yet, most travel agents are not proactive about staying on top of their bookings. And it seems the larger the agency, the greater the likelihood for something to fall through the cracks.

This " no one told me" business gets old, real quick.

Archived