Bora Bora and Moorea tours

cruisin'grandparents

Will be in these ports in October. Does anyone have any recommendations for tours through local people and not from onboard the ship. Have sent several e-mails out but they are slow in replying. Any companies to really stay away from. We have been before and have taken our luck from vendors on the dock but this time trying to be organized. thanks

If you are water activity people, Teiva in Bora Bora did a wonderful excursion. Very friendly and entertaining guides. We did a 1/2 day trip that stopped at 3 different locations with a trip around the island by boat. Our CC group of 13 really had a great time with them.

On Moorea we rented a car on the pier and drove around most of the island. We stopped at the Pineapple restaurant where they had a public beach. We were the only ones there for the time that we stayed. Snorkeling was right from the beach. We also drove up to Belvedere point first to beat the crowds from the ships. We were successful in doing so. After so many excursion intensive ports for the cruise, it was nice to have the car to do as we pleased. The car rental was $70 and we had it from 8:30am-3:00pm.

We also rented a car on Moorea.....as did many people on our ship.....and drove around the island. Moorea is a beautiful island with one main road and small enough that you can drive leisurely around and stop where you please. The only problem we had was that it was a Sunday when we were there, and some places were closed.

On Bora Bora, we did two independent tours. The first one was with Matira Tours and we just booked with them at the dock. They are new to the excursion field, but we were well pleased with our outing. Matira has a large boat with nice comfortable padded seats; of course, it might not be fun if it was packed to the max, but there were only four of us, so it was like a private, guided tour. Our guide was Mahea, who spoke good English and has a great personality. We went swimming with the sharks, got up close and personal with the sting rays, and snorkeled in a nice location. They also gave us a pretty good excursion around the lagoons. So far they don't have a website to contact, but they were at the dock when we came in. We paid $75/pp, and I think the tour was 3 or 3-1/2 hrs. long.

Our second Bora Bora tour was with Damien Dunand who you have probably read about on these boards. Damien is a charming, young Frenchman who is quite knowledgable about the history, geology, and lagoons of Bora Bora. His tour is basically an eco tour, but you go snorkeling in a beautiful coral garden and wind up in the most beautiful lagoon you have ever seen. For us it was our final day in French Polynesia, and it was a wonderful way to end our trip. Damien is a little pricey, though. We took over someone else's reservation and paid $110/pp for his half day tour, but to his credit, the tour ran long and we weren't hurried. Damien has a website and takes advance bookings, and I'm sure someone on the boards has the address. But if he isn't filled up, he also picks up additional bookings at the dock.

And, if you do decide to wait until you get to the dock, almost all of the prices are negotiable.....especially if you go in the afternoon. Most people want to do their tours in the morning, which is what we did. It's just like booking a cruise.....do you want to make sure you get what you want and book ahead paying full price? or do you take a chance that there will be something at the last minute and pick up a bargain? Same difference.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. have had several replies from e-mails and think on Bora Bora going with Teiva for 1/2 day and then Chez Nono for full day tour on other day. both of these seem to get pretty good reviews.

At Moorea, think there is really only one motu that all the snorkeling tours go to and husband enjoys the snorkelling. We did one several years ago with Maco (he was exceptional) but can't find any trace of him so may be just wait until we get to the dock. The only response at moment from Moorea is from Albert Tours so have taken your comment into consideration.

Teiva Tours in Bora Bora will only accept polynesia francs (probably due to dollar at moment) but Chez Nono will take credit cards. Sometimes I think you get a better deal with the francs but previously they have also taken dollars when booking at the dock.

We rented a car on Moorea from Alberts. It was Automatic and AC. We had the car from 9:30AM until 4:30. It was nice to do the island on our own and avoid the crowds. We went to Belevedere early, as several have mentioned, and then went to some resorts for snorkeling and swimming. Snorkeling was good at the Sheraton out by the OWB. don't try to get into the Sofitel. They have a gate in front and won't let you in. The other resorts have parking, open-air lobbies and you can just walk right in. We ate lunch at a nice place and visited some beaches. it was a lovely relaxing day.

On BoraBora we did an excursion with Damien. Yes, it was pricey but well worth it. He has a brand new boat, with shade and only takes 6 people. We were very lucky and it was just my husband and myself. I booked it online and he gives a 10 percent discount for doing that. He does take American dollars. Damien is a young ( 30) Frenchman who dealry loves BoraBora so gives you a lot of history about the island. He will stop anywhere you suggest. We did 2 different snorkling stops and one beautiful lagoon for swimmin. He then dropped us off at Bloody Mary's for lunch. He was a great day. His excursion was $110pp with a 10 percent discount. His e-mail address is: damien@boraboraphotolagoon.com He answers promptly and you can tell him what you would like to do and he can pretty much tailor make an excursion for you. A very likeable young man.

Hope this helps

Micked10

We have done Nono's tour 2x and loved it. It is very convenient to be able to pay with VISA and you get the best exchange rate that way.

I have heard (on another board) that vendors are refusing to take US dollars right now. We always change our money at the booth at the airport and use our CCs as much as possible.

We rented our car from Alberts online about 3 months before we left. The day we were in Moorea there were 2 other ships there so no cars were available. I think if you don't want to take any changes you should not wait until you dock--particularly if you want an AC car or an Automatic. They have very few cars for rent. they do have shuttle vans that will take you to the Pearl shops and you can shop a little and then they will drop you off somewhere. Several people on our ship did this--I am not sure then how they got back to the pier. There are a few taxis available. You can pay for the rental car with a credit card.

micked10

Question?

For all these tours that one picks up on the docks are you paying US dollars or the local currency?r

We just came back a couple of weeks ago, and every tour we took....whether prebooked or picked up at the pier.....were paid in US dollars. In fact, some of our tour operators specifically requested dollars. Others quoted their prices in both francs and dollars and took either one.

We did get some francs and used them mostly for smaller items that we picked up around the islands. If we found a place where the local vendors took American money at a straight $1 per 100 francs, we paid in dollars. For example, at Le Marche, the flower vendors will take $10 in American money for an arrangement marked 1000 Pf. Instant discount.

I know you said not through the ship but the tour that justified the cruise for me was the Aqua Safari helmet dive in Bora Bora. Well worth it many times over. Five people at a time descend 15 feet to the ocean floor where the marine life and colors are amazing!!!:)

I presume you meant by the "ship", the TP, not the Paul Gauguin? I've never bothered doing private excursions from the PG, since they use local operators anyways, and the tours are almost identical, and fairly priced. Of course, no need for a motu picnic on Raiatea/Taha'a, since there's one thrown in.

Hi,Nono tours e-mail is nono.leverd@mail.pf

we have booked with him on Oct. 22 while aboard the Pacific Princess.

You will get reply from Claude Robert and he usually answers with a few hours. He will pick up from dock and bring you back after shark, ray feeding, snorkelling and motu picnic.

Has been very helpful in his e-mails so good luck.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone heard from Teiva Tours in Bora Bora lately? Back in March 2007, I booked and was confirmed for an all day motu picnic for a group of 16 from the Sapphire Princess 31 day 4/14/08 cruise and have been trying to reconfirm with them but have not heard back. We are booked for May 2, 2008 and I am getting nervous. I just need a little reassurance that maybe they are having a busy season and will get back to me soon. Sissy

perhaps they are taking a holiday. we just got back, to be honest I don't recall whether they were set up at the dock or not for tours. our tour with Patrick there was the best of our whole trip. we heard from both of our tour guides on BB that business is very slow, very few tourists there.

Has anyone heard from Teiva Tours in Bora Bora lately? Back in March 2007, I booked and was confirmed for an all day motu picnic for a group of 16 from the Sapphire Princess 31 day 4/14/08 cruise and have been trying to reconfirm with them but have not heard back. We are booked for May 2, 2008 and I am getting nervous. I just need a little reassurance that maybe they are having a busy season and will get back to me soon. Sissy

Just got back from Bora Bora, and it is truly their slow season (pretty much all hotels were 20% occupancy). The tour operators may be taking some time off. Also, internet access can be sporadic.

Enjoy!!

Archived