Older cruise ship photos

LAX2???

Id like to see pics of people with or on older ships (80's or before). There was a great Carnival Mardi Gras link that got me hooked, and I want to see photos from that era! Pics of the boat, people having fun, anything! I sadly never got to sail during that time, but would love to see pictures, as would other members, im sure! Post them here, or add links. Thank you, and Bon Voyage!

• 2 weeks later...
while I do love looking at pics of all the great new ships out there, seeing some of the old ones would be great...its incredible to see how far ship design has come...and really in not that long of time

Is there a more beautiful ship than this in service? Forty years old, and still better than all the new ones.

And she can outrun them all.

QE2atanchor.jpg

Matthew

On 2 October, I was able to visit the s.s. Rotterdam in Wilhelmshaven, German, where she will be refurbished into a floating hotel, museum, conference-center.

Photos of this visit can be seen in an album accessable via my website http://www.vdleek.nl

Enjoy the photo tour and keep in mind that the announced openingdate is on 31 March 2008.

On 2 October, I was able to visit the s.s. Rotterdam in Wilhelmshaven, German, where she will be refurbished into a floating hotel, museum, conference-center.

Photos of this visit can be seen in an album accessable via my website http://www.vdleek.nl

Enjoy the photo tour and keep in mind that the announced openingdate is on 31 March 2008.

You've got some amazing pictures. Very impressive! I hope to work a stop through Rotterdam when I book my European cruise to see the ship when she is finished.

I have to admit....I'm very intrigued by these older ships. Please keep these pictures coming! I wish I had been alive and cruising when these great ships were in service.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 is still in service.

Matthew

That she is, Matthew....and you have no idea how much I would love to sail on her before she retires. However since it doesn't look like I will be able to cruise again until 2009 I doubt that will happen for me sadly. I love living vicariously through all of your and other fellow CC members pictures though.

There are many others still in service as well, mainly in the European market, so there is always an opportunity, I just need to seek it out more actively. I probably should have clarified as I did mean more specifically when they were more plentiful and easier to book more cruises in this part of the world. There are also many more of these older ships I'm intrigued by that have long been broken up, sunk or retired.

Another photo of the beauty when she was a playful teenager in 1987.

QE2.jpg

Looks rather low in the water, doesn't she ?

Matthew, you know her more than anyone... what say you?

Is it just the seas she's in?

From stem to stern, she looks rather low to me,

as if she's fully laden with war materiel, or something similarly heavy.

Surely, there's usually more of that black hull showing.

:confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

From stem to stern, she looks rather low to me,

as if she's fully laden with war materiel, or something similarly heavy.

Surely, there's usually more of that black hull showing.

It's a combination of the high swell, and the distance from which the photo was taken.

The high swells you see in the foreground are quite close to the photographer, compared to the ship, which was some distance away, at least a mile.

The high foreground swells give the impression of QE2 being low in the water.

Here are some "Senior Citizens" of the cruise ship industry. These ships are probably circa 1955-65 (more or less). The Regal Empress has another name on the side, don't know why, and is now used for quick trips to the Bahama's. The Discovery Sun is a Bahama's ship too, and I'm not sure of the previous name. The Marco Polo of Orient Lines is still in full cruise mode. Can you imagine the size of the staterooms in these ships? These ships would certainly seem tiny and cramped for all of us spoiled to the newer ships on the seas.

Princess Danae - Lisbon, Portugal

DSCN8070.jpg

Orient Lines - Marco Polo - Cadiz, Spain

DSCN8438.jpg

Regal Empress - Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale)

DSCN6536.jpg

Discovery Sun - Freeport, Bahama's

DSCN6074.jpg

Saga Rose - Cadiz, Spain

DSCN8431.jpg

I don't know her better than anyone - Kyle is one of many who are far more knowledgeable than me.

Anyhow - he's done his bit now!

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

My DD won a cruise on the Regal Empress (not the timeshare con), and after reading all the reviews on their board, she was hesitant to accept.

I went elsewhere and read up on the ship and insisted that if she wasn't going to go, I most certainly would! If the cost to get to FLL wasn't so much, I'd go anyway.

Told her that these old ships are an endangered species and she needed to sail her while she could.

My first cruise was on Carnival Jubilee and 2nd was on RCI's Nordic Empress (at that time, now Empress of the Seas). Both lovely old ships, but not even really that old.

Everyone wants bigger, faster, more, more, more. Me, I think it's a shame. I mean, I don't need a freaking ice skating rink or rock climbing wall or even a giant slide.

No one seems interested in ambiance any more. At least not on the mass market lines (which is all I can afford).

Anyway, keep those pics coming!

Everyone wants bigger, faster, more, more, more. Me, I think it's a shame. I mean, I don't need a freaking ice skating rink or rock climbing wall or even a giant slide.

No one seems interested in ambiance any more. At least not on the mass market lines (which is all I can afford).

I agree with you here is a snapshot of Arion taken aprx. two months ago in the Aegaean Sea:

TheCalypso109b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the S.S. Yarmouth taken in 1962. This Caribbean ship was brought around to San Francisco to sail to the 1962 World's Fair. My college roommate and I cruised on her. This is not the Yarmouth Castle that burned but her sister ship. Have no idea what ever happened to her. Travelgirl

47b7cf24b3127ccebfbf4b80dc3900000025100QZNGrZm3bsR

• 1 month later...

Saga Rose was launched in 1965.

She sailed into Bridgetown Port, BARBADOS

a few days ago, in December 2007

just as beautiful and shapely as she ever was.

I'd never heard of her before she appeared on the horizon

but here's a picture of her - taken 16th. December 2007

Archived