Bringing wine on lately?

bickee

I'm a fan of the Target boxed pinot grigio--I like that it comes in a 3L box, because that's a nice size for a 7 day cruise when hubby is drinking only red--we'll bring a small box of red and a small box of white for the cabin, then some bottles of red for dinner.

Sailor Gal.... yes we are. I can share too. I will be on a quest now for this box. None of those stores sound familiar around here, but you can bet I will be checking. Did you pack yours any special way? I would hate for it to break open.

• 1 year later...

We've actually selected a Princess cruise over a RCCL cruise because we can bring wine onbaord. When I'm on vacation I want to be able to enjoy myself with my favorite wine from our local winery. We spend plenty of money onboard and actually if I had to buy wine I would not spend on something else - so I'd still be spending the same amount of money either way and I'm enjoying myself more. Kudos to princess on this issue. I think they understand their customers.

We've actually selected a Princess cruise over a RCCL cruise because we can bring wine onbaord. When I'm on vacation I want to be able to enjoy myself with my favorite wine from our local winery. We spend plenty of money onboard and actually if I had to buy wine I would not spend on something else - so I'd still be spending the same amount of money either way and I'm enjoying myself more. Kudos to princess on this issue. I think they understand their customers.

I SO agree with this. RCCL was my favorite cruise line until I discovered Princess. The policy on wine is a big factor, although there are many others! (One of them is the cookies:D)

Coming off of the Emerald Princess's 12/20/08 cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, there were 9 of us (7 adults and 2 kids), I was in charge of the "beverages" which included bringing on board 14 assorted bottles of wine and 2 bottles of champagne.:eek: We purchased them at Winn-Dixie in Ft. Lauderdale with a average cost of $17 per bottle. It was next to a well stocked liquor store. Coming from California, we were surprised at the prices for domestic wines.:eek: We assumed it was due to the shipping charges. We opted for very reasonably priced imports from Australia and Chile (Rosemont and Casillaro del Diablo) and some on sale favorite domestics.

Since I could not carry them all, 4 went into suitcases and the remaining 12 went into a wine case box that I brought on as a "carry on". No hassle from security as it went through the x-ray machine except a joke from the guard that I could assist him in checking them out at his car.:D They did not even open the box!

Most of the wine was consumed pre-dinner in our room and brought to the DR poured in glasses provided by our cabin steward. We did pay for 2 corkage fees the first night and at the Crown Grill. This kept my thirsty father-in-law happy and made each dinner delightful. It may have also helped any motion sickness and Norovirus.:p

We decided to buy our wines at the embarkation port from now on. It reduces luggage weight on the flight, worries of the bottle opening up on our clothes and allows us the opportunity to "sample" the local wares.

Coming off of the Emerald Princess's 12/20/08 cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, there were 9 of us (7 adults and 2 kids), I was in charge of the "beverages" which included bringing on board 14 assorted bottles of wine and 2 bottles of champagne.:eek:

I thought there is a 1 bottle per person wine limit on embarkation. On our last cruise out of FLL we carried on 3 bottles of wine and security took 1 bottle from us and delivered it to our room on the last cruise day. Maybe the enforcement of the policy has changed since we last cruised. I would love to hear others recent experiences.

Coming off of the Emerald Princess's 12/20/08 cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, there were 9 of us (7 adults and 2 kids), I was in charge of the "beverages" which included bringing on board 14 assorted bottles of wine and 2 bottles of champagne.:eek: We purchased them at Winn-Dixie in Ft. Lauderdale with a average cost of $17 per bottle. It was next to a well stocked liquor store. Coming from California, we were surprised at the prices for domestic wines.:eek: We assumed it was due to the shipping charges. We opted for very reasonably priced imports from Australia and Chile (Rosemont and Casillaro del Diablo) and some on sale favorite domestics.

Since I could not carry them all, 4 went into suitcases and the remaining 12 went into a wine case box that I brought on as a "carry on". No hassle from security as it went through the x-ray machine except a joke from the guard that I could assist him in checking them out at his car.:D They did not even open the box!

Most of the wine was consumed pre-dinner in our room and brought to the DR poured in glasses provided by our cabin steward. We did pay for 2 corkage fees the first night and at the Crown Grill. This kept my thirsty father-in-law happy and made each dinner delightful. It may have also helped any motion sickness and Norovirus.:p

We decided to buy our wines at the embarkation port from now on. It reduces luggage weight on the flight, worries of the bottle opening up on our clothes and allows us the opportunity to "sample" the local wares.

We are also planning on buying our wine at the embarkation port in Ft. Lauredale, is that wine store near where the "crown princess" departs from? is is easy to find......tka

After hearing so many good things about wine in a box, we might just have to do that. Although, our absolute favorite white wine (I can do reds, allergic to the tannins) is called New Age White. It is from Argentina, but incredibly hard to find. Depending on where you find it, it is between 9 and 12/btl, and incredibly yummy. We cannot find it in any local stores. We will probably bring on several bottles to drink on deck.

We are also planning on buying our wine at the embarkation port in Ft. Lauredale, is that wine store near where the "crown princess" departs from? is is easy to find......tka

We checked out the local wine shop (and there were many) but decided to purchase at the Winn-Dixie grocery chain because we needed to buy sodas and they also discounted most of their beverages. The Winn-Dixie was between 16th and 17th streets and 2 blocks east of Federal Hwy. Also there is a Publix grocer one block south of the Winn-Dixie. Sorry to hear that some of the boats were strict with the one bottle per person limit. I did hear that champagne is treated special. When we opened our bottle in the Wheelhouse Bar, they did not charge a corkage fee! We were happy to immediately tip the waiter. Enjoy the sun!

• 4 weeks later...
Information is Power!! Thanks to many on this board for valuable information. Case in point. Read your Passenger Contract that Princess sends to you. It was pointed out previous to our August sailing that some contracts printed a $10.00 corkage fee while Princess was charging $15.00. Knowing this ahead of time and taking our contract to the pursers' desk we did manage to get our $15 corkage fee reduced to $10. The reasoning - we took our contracts with us, pointed out that this was what Princess sent to us and therefore, Princess was obligated to stand behind their contract.

We took 4 bottles of 1.5 wine and were charged 4 $15.00 corkage fees which we had changed to $10.00.

So read your contracts and know the facts.

The new passage contract (I just downloaded) doesn't limit the number of bottles of wine or champagne, but imposes a $15.00 corcage fee "(which is subject to change without notice)". I guess they're closing loopholes.

Archived