Bringing wine on lately?

bickee

We had two bottles of wine in our carry on luggage on the Crown. We were asked to take it out and unwrap it (we had it wrapped to protect it from breaking). We were told the limit was the two bottles and they did want to make sure it was wine. hmmm? It is definitely hit or miss. We were only allowed 2 bottles for a two week cruise on Celebrity and had an entire case for the four of us. It wasn't checked at any point. Once on HAL, we again had a case for a two week cruise. Our friends only had one bottle of champagne. They checked his and not ours. It really is hit or miss...much like airline security.

We can tell you our recent experience bringing wine onboard. We sailed on CB out of FLL in Aug this year. Carrying 3 bottles of wine in a cardboard wine carrier. We were approached by a Princess employee and told we could only bring 1 bottle per person. ..... No idea if this represents a change in policy or just a very officious employee but this was our recent experience.

If my memory is correct I think that most if not all "Princess Employees" on the docks are not actually Princess employees. I believe Princess contracts with shore agencies to handle the embarkation process. One day they may have on Princess attire when a Princess ship is in town, the next Celebrity if that was who is in port that day and so on.

Can anyone confirm this?

I always have my contact at the ready just in case...never have been told otherwise but we usually check a large box made for shipping wine, we never carry it on. And according to the following post I now have more ammo! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=636248

Thank you for all of your help!! I did find the statement in the Cruise Answer Book. This is definitely something new. There are 5 adults going so we can carry on 5 bottles. The remainder we will bubble wrap and put in suitcases! One per suitcase!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!! You really saved me! :D

Jaime, BonVoyage! Hope you have a wonderful time. Looking forward to reading about your trip when you return. Karen

Jaime, BonVoyage! Hope you have a wonderful time. Looking forward to reading about your trip when you return. Karen

Thanks Karen!! It is hard to believe it is almost here!! We are off to Hawaii on Thursday........:D :D :D

Information is Power!! Thanks to many on this board for valuable information. Case in point. Read your Passenger Contract that Princess sends to you. It was pointed out previous to our August sailing that some contracts printed a $10.00 corkage fee while Princess was charging $15.00. Knowing this ahead of time and taking our contract to the pursers' desk we did manage to get our $15 corkage fee reduced to $10. The reasoning - we took our contracts with us, pointed out that this was what Princess sent to us and therefore, Princess was obligated to stand behind their contract.

We took 4 bottles of 1.5 wine and were charged 4 $15.00 corkage fees which we had changed to $10.00.

So read your contracts and know the facts.

I have a call into my TA. She is checking with Princess. If the Passenger Contract is the final word then there is no limit on the number of bottles of wine you can carry on board. A copy of the Passenger Contract is with my travel documents and that section is highlighted. I will post again as soon as I hear back from my TA.

The latest Cruise Answer Book states "one bottle of wine or champagne per person" , but our contract DOES NOT specify an amount, so I'm bringing the contract with me along with the bottles of wine!:) ;)

Wish we were sailing together..........we could both take them on at the pier and we would win!!! :D :D

I just got a message from my TA........she spoke to multiple people at Princess and everyone told her "one bottle per person" and that they are watching for it. Now I am totally confused..........:confused: :confused:

I think we will play it safe..........I will get some bubble wrap and we will put one bottle in each piece of luggage. And then carry on a few bottles.

This is sooo ridiculous. None of the wine I am bringing is available on the ship. We should be able to enjoy some extraordinary wine on our cruise. :(

We are taking wine on board so there should be safety in numbers!:)

Jill,

Are you still going to try to carry on all your wine based on my latest findings? If so, do you mind sharing how many bottles you plan to bring?? :D

I am bringing my wine and not going to worry about it. :rolleyes:

There is going to be 2 champagnes in the carry on and some wine in the checked baggage. I bring wine, I purchase wine on the ship, I LOVE LOVE LOVE wine. The wine issue is, in fact, such a large one to me that I would choose a different cruise line over it. I don't drink gallons of it but I like certain wines and love the way wine enhances food. I really look at wine as an extention of the foods and not so much an alcohol thing. I know that other serious wine lovers will agree.

Princess has a few really nice wines that I will spend $$$ on but the don't carry every wine and there are a few that are very special that I will carry onboard and happily pay the corkage at dinner.

I will report back in after my cruise to let you all know how the wine issue went.

We just got off the Golden Princess. We used a 1/2 case styrofoam shipping container to bring on 6 bottles. Just treated it as luggage the whole way, plane & ship, and didn't have a problem. It just showed up outside our door with the rest of the luggage. I didn't draw attention to the wine and that might be the key in some locations. If an overly officious, underpaid, contract employee has a chance to exert their authority, they sometimes do. Given that most are just trying to get the passengers on board, if you don't present them with a potential problem, they'll probably be too busy to notice.

I am bringing my wine and not going to worry about it. :rolleyes:

There is going to be 2 champagnes in the carry on and some wine in the checked baggage. I bring wine, I purchase wine on the ship, I LOVE LOVE LOVE wine. The wine issue is, in fact, such a large one to me that I would choose a different cruise line over it. I don't drink gallons of it but I like certain wines and love the way wine enhances food. I really look at wine as an extention of the foods and not so much an alcohol thing. I know that other serious wine lovers will agree.

Princess has a few really nice wines that I will spend $$$ on but the don't carry every wine and there are a few that are very special that I will carry onboard and happily pay the corkage at dinner.

I will report back in after my cruise to let you all know how the wine issue went.

We are going to get along VERY well...........I too love wine! :D

I don't understand, you can take your own wine to dinner and they open it for you and charge you a corkage fee of $15? What if you don't finish the whole bottle of wine at that sitting? Can you take it with you or do they keep it? Wine is not problem to bring on board ship what about soda?:confused:

We brought two bottles of champagne, 3 wines, and a bottle of port as well as vodka, vermouth, and brandy on the golden no problem. they did charge corkage in the dining room and we had the champagne on our balcony.

I don't understand, you can take your own wine to dinner and they open it for you and charge you a corkage fee of $15? What if you don't finish the whole bottle of wine at that sitting? Can you take it with you or do they keep it? Wine is not problem to bring on board ship what about soda?:confused:

If you bring your own wine to dinner and do NOT finish the bottle, they will store it for you until the next night. Or, you can take the bottle with you to drink in your cabin. If they save it until dinner the next night, you won't be charged the corkage fee again.

To get more value from your $15.00 corkage fee - take 1.5 litre bottles to the dining room and only drink half the first night - they'll store it for you until you request it again and there won't be a second corkage fee. So you get 2 nights of wine with only 1 corkage fee.

We brought two bottles of champagne, 3 wines, and a bottle of port as well as vodka, vermouth, and brandy on the golden no problem. they did charge corkage in the dining room and we had the champagne on our balcony.

Corkpopr (love that screen name!),

Where did you board the Golden??

Thanks!

Hope this is not something new that they are going to annoy me with...I sailed on the Crown last Oct (after the new Cruise Answer Book came out) and they did not limit the amount of wine I took onboard in my carry-on baggage. Just to on the safe side, I printed out my passenger contract and I will have it handy to show to anyone who tries to limit the amount of wine I bring.

Anyone on the Crown that can comment on wine limits?

BTW, has anyone had to actually show their contract, and if so, did it work?

Two more questions about this. I had asked this on another thread a while ago but it was never answered. If I bring a 4L bottle of wine in my carry on, would they consider this ONE BOTTLE? :D Also, what about the boxed wines? Would that be considered the "one bottle?"

Archived