Bringing wine on lately?

bickee

We just got off the CP on Sunday. Before I had talked to a Princess rep and he stated that you can bring unlimited water and soda on board. Wine is 1 bottle per person over the age of 21. No beer or liquor. And yes a cooler is ok.

So, we packed a cooler with sodas and water. And 4 bottles of wine (as it was two couples traveling). Never mind the porter whimpering about the weight, a nice piece of paper with a dead presidents head on it did the trick. And the cooler was delivered to our stateroom without any problems and the cabin steward even kept ice in it (as we had too much for the fridge to hold).

Oh yeah, there was a bottle of water (a gallon size one) that smelled very much of vodka. :) as well as several more bottles of wine in various other pieces of luggage

The hardest part was getting the cooler back through customs at debarkation. This was actually the only time we were asked about the contents.

Thanks Vince! We usually sail Carnival and as far as I know, they don't allow carry on, so I am used to smuggling tricks and can't figure out for the life of me how to actually take a bottle on "in plain sight." lol When are you cruising from San Juan? We are on the repo cruise. Will go from NY to San Juan and fly home. I can check out places to purchase alcohol if you want. We are spending one night post cruise there.

Hi Karen,

We are going on the November 24th Southern Caribbean... Forty seven days to go now!!!! If you go before that, I'd sure appreciate you scoping it out and reporting back. Thanks.

$1.99 a bottle here in California.. :D
I was at Trader Joe's today and I checked, it's $2.99 here. You get a better deal in California.....I used to buy the Cabernet all the time, but the taste is inconsistant from one bottle to the next......

Some of the 2-Buck-Chuck is bottled from surplus wine from other wineries. Leads to a variation -- if you find a good bottle, go back and buy a case from the same lot. At worst -- you risk only $36. /Sultan

.....I used to buy the Cabernet all the time, but the taste is inconsistant from one bottle to the next......

vinceg who's wine in the box did you buy????

It's from Peter Vella Vineyards, and truly I was surprised it is definitely drinkable... even tasty. Not a bad price either... I think it was $17 for a 5 litre box. Maybe not paying for the bottle isn't so bad. Like all things, sometimes when something is new it doesn't start out very good, but improvements are made over time.

I am thinking of packing a "box" for the first time. Any precautions I should take? Separate suitcase or small suitcase on its own. I drink Pinot G. Any suggestions on a good box? I am in NE. So we don't get the good stuff out here I don't think.

Hey Vince, i have drunk many wines from a box, many with screw tops, and at least 5 bottles of 2 buck chuck. I even buy it at trader joes for when the DW is cooking and needs either red or white for a marinade or sauce. Grew up in the liquor/wine business and have been a wine collector for over 30 yrs. now. I love bargains for 8-15 dollars a bottle but after drinking 25-35 dollar bottles for so many years it is tough to go backwards.

Hey Vince, i have drunk many wines from a box, many with screw tops, and at least 5 bottles of 2 buck chuck. I even buy it at trader joes for when the DW is cooking and needs either red or white for a marinade or sauce. Grew up in the liquor/wine business and have been a wine collector for over 30 yrs. now. I love bargains for 8-15 dollars a bottle but after drinking 25-35 dollar bottles for so many years it is tough to go backwards.

Agreed.

If you base your wine choices on price, you're really limiting yourself. :)

Hi all! I know in the past Princess has been fairly lax about how much wine you bring on, even though I believe it states 1-2 bottles per person. Wondering if anyone's had any trouble lately bringing more, specifically on the Crown? Thanks!!!

We have not been on the princess but have sailed on almost all the cruise lines.We take a bottle of wine for every night at dinner. Been on several 14 day cruises. No one has ever said a word about it.Our room stuart takes it to the dinning room for us each night. We pay a corkage fee and the wine stewart serves it to us. He even pours a sample for us to taste as if we had bought it through the ship.We always laugh about that. What are we going to do if we don't like it Ha. It's our wine, it is not as if we can send it back to the cellar.If you wanted to I guess you could take a cork screw and serve yourself in your room. I keep all my hubbys old socks and stick a bottle in each one to protect them in travel.

Enjoy

goodie2shoes -- bringing wine into Canada is fairly easy. You just declare that you are bringing wine as you cross the border, and depending on what customs agent you get they will ask you how many bottles (or not.)

Legally they state that the limit is 1.5L per person, but we have taken 6-9 bottles across at different time and never had any confiscated or additional duty placed upon them. There is a risk that it will be confiscated so we make sure the balance over 4 bottles are those we won't be upset if they are taken or taxed.

You could always play it safe and bring 4 bottles of wine you cannot live without, and then buy more in Canada. There are some stellar wines being made in BC, especially the Okanagan Valley. It could be fun for you to take something fairly "local" on board. If you've never tried Canadian Ice Wine try and find a bottle. It'll blow your socks off.

Has anyone had problems out of FLL lately? I have my TotalWine stop planned already... I'm cruising solo... anyone think it'll work if I say I'm buying the wine for a group get-together? :D

We also have pre-ordered from TotalWine. When we cruised last year we just put a princess luggage tag on the box and left it with porter to have delivered straight to our room. Maybe I should consider bubble wrapping it and smuggling in our luggage. Any thoughts??

CruiseGal40: I like the Fish Eye pinot grigio. You can try it in the bottle to see if you like it and if so, buy the box.

I agree. Fish Eye PG is my everyday summer/Indian Summer wine. I too was skeptical at first, but it's a gold medal winner and an 89 pointer.

Haven't tried the Fish Eye Shiraz yet, but it's also a medal winner.

There a some very tasty, highly regarded box wines out now, especially here in CA.

Archived