Bringing wine on lately?

bickee

Sept. 22, I boarded the Crown Princess with 8 bottles of wine in a carry on. I think it was only port employees doing security and not a problem/no questions.

Was charged the corkage fee for each bottle that was not on the Princess wine list. By the way the list is still a good one with some values. We did enjoy our favorites that we brought at dinner though.

Cheers!

Sept. 22, I boarded the Crown Princess with 8 bottles of wine in a carry on. I think it was only port employees doing security and not a problem/no questions.

Was charged the corkage fee for each bottle that was not on the Princess wine list. By the way the list is still a good one with some values. We did enjoy our favorites that we brought at dinner though.

Cheers!

Thank you for posting this. I was just about to buy a special wine shipping box, but I was concerned about sending the box along with my checked bags.

I do enjoy wine at dinner, and usually buy off the list, I save the special wines for my balcony. Ahhhh, I love a balcony=)

I also love the wine flights at Vines.

Two more questions about this. I had asked this on another thread a while ago but it was never answered. If I bring a 4L bottle of wine in my carry on, would they consider this ONE BOTTLE? :D Also, what about the boxed wines? Would that be considered the "one bottle?"

I don't know the answer to this. I can only say that last month on the Pacific Princess (embarking in Whittier) I carried on a 1.5L bottle and had 2 3L boxes as well as a couple other 750ml bottles in my checked luggage. No one said anything to me at all about my wine. Ever. Box wine is easy to pack, great for the cabin! And you can get some pretty decent wines in boxes these days:D It's not comparable to a $100 bottle of wine, but is easily comparable to the $10 bottles I drink at home on a regular basis:p

Not to be stupid, but how do you pack a "box" of wine. Don't you worry about it breaking apart and getting all over your clothes, or so you pack it in another suitcase and ship that down?

Box wine = wine in an airtight mylar liner inside a cardboard carton. It has a spigot and it keeps the wine nice and fresh for about 2 weeks. The one I have in my fridge now is a 5 litre wine box (I think most are 5 litres). It's a great way to go, and there are some good wines coming in boxes now. My local grocery store has it now...

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I could get away with the 4 L or boxed wine in my CARRY ON. Since you are allowed to carry on a bottle of wine...that is technically a bottle. They didn't list sizes! :D cruisegal40, no matter what I bring on-bottle, plastic or box, I ALWAYS pack it in a plastic bag "just in case." Matter of fact, I pack ANYTHING that can leak in plastic bags including shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, cologne...to be double sure it doesn't leak, I put some masking tape on the top of the containers. A few years ago we got home and our super size bottle of sun screen's top flipped up and the sun screen was ALL OVER THE PLACE,:cool: but fortunately in the zip lock. Save those long narrow bags your newspaper comes in. Perfect size.

Karen,

I'm sure you could bring a box of wine in your carry on. My last Princess cruise I believe we took on about 6 bottles of wine and 2 champagne, and they didn't flinch. They don't want to make anyone unhappy now, do they??? My next cruise is out of San Juan, and I'm hoping there'll be someplace to buy some nice wines near pier 4.

Vince

Thanks Vince! We usually sail Carnival and as far as I know, they don't allow carry on, so I am used to smuggling tricks and can't figure out for the life of me how to actually take a bottle on "in plain sight." lol When are you cruising from San Juan? We are on the repo cruise. Will go from NY to San Juan and fly home. I can check out places to purchase alcohol if you want. We are spending one night post cruise there.

Thanks Vince! We usually sail Carnival and as far as I know, they don't allow carry on, so I am used to smuggling tricks and can't figure out for the life of me how to actually take a bottle on "in plain sight." lol When are you cruising from San Juan? We are on the repo cruise. Will go from NY to San Juan and fly home. I can check out places to purchase alcohol if you want. We are spending one night post cruise there.

Box wine = wine in an airtight mylar liner inside a cardboard carton. It has a spigot and it keeps the wine nice and fresh for about 2 weeks. The one I have in my fridge now is a 5 litre wine box (I think most are 5 litres). It's a great way to go, and there are some good wines coming in boxes now. My local grocery store has it now...

The "old standards" are indeed 5L, but if you go to Target you can get 1L & 3L boxes of their own label wine (I like the pinot grigio and shiraz/cab blend) and if you go to a store like Total Wine, you can get various sizes of all sorts of labels in boxes--from "personal" size (300ml--I call it Hoya's Juice Box:p ) up to 5L.

Well, carlo rossi is technically wine but thats like saying Nascar is a sport! Not to say that i haven't had 30-40 gallons of rossi in my time. However, these days it needs to be in a fifth bottle with a cork out of a proper burgandy glass!

In the last "blind tasting" competition in SF two months ago, two-buck shaw Chardonnay won double gold -- best in class (among 400 wines many of them priced over $100 per bottle)! /Sultan

Don't know how you drink that $2 Chuck.....I thought it was extremely bitter. Oh well, to each his own.

I also love wine, and will take it with me when we go to Mexico from Los Angeles in December without any problems, but I need some advice for next May.

We will drive from California to Vancouver, Canada, and board the Tahitian Princess there for a 14 day cruise. Now, this brings about several problems. #1 bringing the wine into Canada. #2 taking it from Canada onto the ship.

Does anyone know how hard it will be to bring a case of wine or so across the border in our car? And are the laws/rules different when boarding the ship in Canada?

Never cruised from a port other than in the US, so I don't have a clue how things might differ.

Nancy

Archived