Dunn's Falls in Jamacia...worth the trip? Afraid of heights...is this a problem?

I am deathly afraid of heights...two rungs on a ladder and I'm shaking like crazy. Can you go to the falls and not climb? I really want to see them but am afraid to climb. Is it something I must see? or is it just so-so? I don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

We went to the Dunn and loved it, It's beautiful. There is a place you can stay along side of the fall and watch the water run by and the climbers go up if you choose to). It is so tropical, A slow and fun climb, rock after rock (some slippery one's wear swim shoes!) 8 rivers run down the fall together to the sea. the bottom is worth seeing too where it meets the ocean. We had fun, Take the water camera, and hold someone's hand if that will help, Enjoy. Patty

They are beautiful and they are slippery. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you are not the last person in your group. When we went, there were groups of 10 led by a guide (and everyone held hands). The last person in line is kind of like the last person on the end in ice skating--in my opinion. We had a regular camera and one of the guides took everyone's camera (knew how to operate all of them!) and made some of the best pictures we have ever gotten. After you get there and see the falls, if you should decide you do not want to climb them, you can walk up the steps....but you would be missing something.

DH, MIL, and I have to disagree. IOHO, the water is nasty. We saw a few local children with their navels protruding (which is a sign of parasites) at the beach. We'll never go again. In addition, one must be physically fit to climb the falls.

Can you go to the falls and not climb? I really want to see them but am afraid to climb. Is it something I must see? or is it just so-so? I don't want to miss anything.

You don't have to climb the falls. There is a path with steps along the side of the falls that you can use to go down to the beach and back up again.

Dunns River Falls is very pretty, and a nice touristy thing to do in Ocho Rios, but if you don't go to the falls, you life will still be fulfilling. :D I would rank it somewhere in between "must see" and "so-so." If you do a search on Webshots for Dunns River Falls, you will probably find some good pictures of it and can make up your own mind.

Have a great time, whatever you do!

Chris

When we went, my wife was quite handicapped, and couldn't walk very well, it was just before she "graduated" to a wheel chair. We of course did not climb the falls, we just walked along beside it for a bit and watched the others in our group climb the falls. I'd like to see it again, it is very pretty.

Yes, climb the falls. The height is so gradual that you won't notice. It is quite fun and exhilirating and a darn good time. Everyone helps everyone and it is like one big party, at least that how we found it. Have fun and don't worry mon.

even if you don't climb, it's worth it! 1/2 Way up the falls there is a little pool of water, and when my husband and I went while we where on our honeymoon at Sandals Dunns River, our guide pushed us in the water and took our picture :D But it's lovely even if you don't climb, but at least go and check it out and decided for yourself :)

I am afraid of heights, but managed to climb the falls with no problem. As other posters have said, the climb is gradual and you don't really realize how high up you are. The rocks can be slippery in places, so if you do decide to climb be sure to wear water shoes with rubber soles. I found the falls to be beautiful and am very glad I chose to make the climb. If you choose to walk on the steps along side of the falls, I think you will enjoy that also.

DH, MIL, and I have to disagree. IOHO, the water is nasty. We saw a few local children with their navels protruding (which is a sign of parasites) at the beach. We'll never go again. In addition, one must be physically fit to climb the falls.

An outie belly button is a sign of parasites? Since when? This sounds like an old wives tale to me.... Better be careful not to walk under any ladders or cross the path of a black cat.....

Just thought I would add my vote for going to the falls. I am afraid of heights and not exactly fit for the olympics. I climbed the falls when we went last year and didn't have too much problems doing it. There were a couple of spots that were a little scary because the rocks can be slippery. What you do is just hook up with a good group that helps each other up. I was with total strangers and it was great. We would all help each other over any rough spots. When you reach the top, there is this enormous sense of accomplishment. Don't let your fears keep you from getting that.

If you decide you can't climb the falls(I think you can), there is a path along the side with steps. No reason you can't enjoy that and see the scenery. It really is quite pretty. Go, and have fun.

Amy

It is pretty strenuous. Sometimes you the next spot to step is pretty high up so you're relying on the people around you in the line to help pull you up.

There is a spot about half way up where you can choose not to finish climbing the falls and go up the staircase if you're not enjoying it.

I will be sailing on Sept 10 and booked the dunn river falls followed by the dolphin swim when we port in Jamacia. My 60 year old mother will be with me and hope that she could handle it. But the info on the steps was helpful in case she can't do it

Debra

Something just dawned on me...once you reach the top...you still have to get down...YIKES!! :eek:

Isn't the top the end? You walk all the way DOWN to the beach to start climbing back up. So really, no worries. :D

Chris

A protruding belly in underdeveloped nations is often a sign of Kwashiokor, a disease seen in the malnourished.

A protruding belly on a bunch of kids from Scarsdale who happened to be on the cruise ship is a sign of impending obesity!

Yes, you do walk down to the bottom and the end is at the top of the climb.

You can do it and leave all these other nervous nellies behind!

The trip to the Falls was one of the highlights of our Western Cribbean cruise. They are very much worth going to. Don't be closed minded about climbing either. We had more laughs along the way up. You don't have to use a guide or go with a big group either. My family and I did it on our own and had a blast.

Once you climb up it is just a short walk to the parking lot. When you begin you walk down the stairs to the beach and then start your climb up. If you really want to quit there are several places where you can exit the water and walk up the stairs.

Archived