most beautiful sailaway

zaandam_2

hi all. i want to share with you some photos of the most beautiful sailaway from geiranger, norway from my recent transatlantic on the grand princess. i consider this 2nd only to the sailaway from venice. i hope you enjoy.

at anchor in geiranger, norway:

2913924480099749952S600x600Q85.jpg

leaving geiranger, norway:

2225342280099749952S600x600Q85.jpg

Zaandam, I agree completely. I'd seen your signature's photo and thought, "Gee, that looks like Geiranger!" Looks like I was right. We were originally booked on the Grand this past summer but they weren't going to Spitzbergen (which was the point of the cruise) so we went on the Prinsendam instead. It was absolutely awesome and I'm so very, very glad we booked the cruise we did: we not only cruised the Magdalena Fjord and went to Longyearbyen but we also cruised INTO the polar ice cap. (Yes, right into the ice.) It was spectacular.

I think the two fjords, Hellesylt and Geiranger, are among the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen.

FYI (added via edit): I just noticed that your avatar is one of my absolute favorite places in the world: the Pantheon. :) I think we're in sync!

Thank you so much for posting these...My daughter and I would love to 'someday' take a cruise to these ports.. She is a college student now in her 3rd year, so maybe to celebrate her degree??? I shared your pictures with her and it just confirmed it.. we are going...'someday'...;) Can you tell me what is a good time of the year to visit this region? Thanks again for sharing your beautiful photos....

We sailed from Venice on the Emerald Prioncess last May, and that slow march down the Giudecca with Venice splayed out across the port rail was breath taking. The port guide caried on a continuous dialogue of the history passing before us, and they played the Bocelli (?)album "Romanza" over the pa. Unequaled in my opinion.

I'm so glad I went on my cruise to Norway. Stunning scenery! The cruise in and out of the Geraingerfjord is spectacular. Looking at it everyday on the webcam, I couldn't believe it could look any better once in it, but it did!

Picture attached is of your arrival. I have one of Bergen if you want it too!

gerainger050907.jpg.8046ecc24d7e8720244d213dfeb539d6.jpg

I think the two fjords, Hellesylt and Geiranger, are among the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen.

i'm sorting through my photos. i hope to have them posted on webshots this weekend.

I don't think it counts as a sailaway but the last hour or so out of Prns Christain Sund was some of the most spectacular I've seen anywhereDoug

it was spectacular

Thank you so much for posting these...My daughter and I would love to 'someday' take a cruise to these ports.. She is a college student now in her 3rd year, so maybe to celebrate her degree??? I shared your pictures with her and it just confirmed it.. we are going...'someday'...;) Can you tell me what is a good time of the year to visit this region? Thanks again for sharing your beautiful photos....

any excuse for a cruise is a good one. not sure what the 'season' is, but i would think it would be during the summer and early fall only.

thanks to everyone else for your replies.

Sorry I just couldnt resist When talking about coold sailing In November 06 I wwas on the (ahem0 Serenade of the seas and the Captain did a 360 by the Greand Pitons as well as by Mt Serrat.

It was so cool seeing a ship like this do a 360:)

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but just read Balcony Lover's post and thought he/she might be interested to know about this website for the Norwegian Emigaration Centre in Stavanger (Norway)

http://www.utvandrersenteret.no/

To get back to the topic of this thread, one of the most beautiful sailouts in Norway is from Stavanger - but, unfortunately not on Sea Princess which did the Norwegian Fjords itinerary for the last few years, or Grand Princess who has inherited it.

The Holland America ships (and perhaps smaller ships of other cruise lines), when leaving Stavanger, turn and do 2 hour sail up Lysefjord to view Pulpit Rock - which can be seen in the bottom, right photo on this webpage

http://www.rodne.no/

The large Princess ships, unfortunately, cannot get under a bridge that crosses the route. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll give the new Royal Princess a Norwegian itinerary.

BTW - the website http://www.rodne.no/ is the one for boat tours that sail from Stavanger to Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock -> once again, no need to take an expensive ship's shorex to see the sights!

Archived