Problem with one person in cabin needing to cancel before sail?

kattom

Hi,

Can anyone provide any feedback on what happens when one person gets really hurt before sailing and can't go?

Our TA is saying that if the one person in a cabin doesn't show up at port--that the person still in that cabin will have to pay a single suppliment --in addition to the person's full payment that is now forfiet!!!!

In other words, because the hurt person can't go now (and didn't purchase insurance--I know, I know, I told them!) they know they would be out the price of the airfare and the cruise. (Tahitian Princess sailing 10/1/07) But the TA says that Princess will charge the remaining person a single suppliment on top of it--which would be a penalty of about 1/3 more! AND, of course because it is coming up so soon there is no chance to find a replacement person AND because princess air with a deviation was purchased, another person cannot replace the orignial passenger for any reason on the air portion. (another reason not to ever purchase Princess air)

My question: Has anyone actually had this happen where one person didn't show up for whatever reason? How was it handled? A post here on CC from 2005 had conflicting info--just trying to figure out the best way for my friends to handle the situation.

Moral of the story....buy travel insurance that pays a single suppliment if this happens AND NEVER buy Princess air!

--Kathy

Hi,

Can anyone provide any feedback on what happens when one person gets really hurt before sailing and can't go?

Our TA is saying that if the one person in a cabin doesn't show up at port--that the person still in that cabin will have to pay a single suppliment --in addition to the person's full payment that is now forfiet!!!!

In other words, because the hurt person can't go now (and didn't purchase insurance--I know, I know, I told them!) they know they would be out the price of the airfare and the cruise. (Tahitian Princess sailing 10/1/07) But the TA says that Princess will charge the remaining person a single suppliment on top of it--which would be a penalty of about 1/3 more! AND, of course because it is coming up so soon there is no chance to find a replacement person AND because princess air with a deviation was purchased, another person cannot replace the orignial passenger for any reason on the air portion. (another reason not to ever purchase Princess air)

My question: Has anyone actually had this happen where one person didn't show up for whatever reason? How was it handled? A post here on CC from 2005 had conflicting info--just trying to figure out the best way for my friends to handle the situation.

Moral of the story....buy travel insurance that pays a single suppliment if this happens AND NEVER buy Princess air!

--Kathy

If you have insurance, it should cover you.

because princess air with a deviation was purchased, another person cannot replace the orignial passenger for any reason on the air portion. (another reason not to ever purchase Princess air)

Just one note, you wouldn't be able to replace a person on the air even if you had booked it individually, unless you paid a lot extra for a fully refundable ticket.

My advice at this point would be to have the one person not cancel and just show up at the pier by yourself.

Scenario 1

When you cabin is paid in full you are good to go. If one person (or even two) doesn't show up at check-in you do not get charged any more.

Scenario 2

Now, if by chance you had only paid your deposit (for two) and you advise your TA prior to making final payment that only one person will be sailing, then the cabin will be re-priced from double occupancy to single occupancy and the single traveler will need to pay the single supplement (unless there is insurance in place). Perhaps that is where the confusion lies?

I think your TA is giving you incorrect information. If your sailing companion has paid in full and will lose their entire fare, then Princess could care less how many people are in that cabin. However, if they are going to be reimbursed any part of the fare (if they are more than 14 days from sailing), then I believe your TA is correct, since the other passenger would be receiving a partial reimbursement.

Scenario 1

When you cabin is paid in full you are good to go. If one person (or even two) doesn't show up at check-in you do not get charged any more.

Not true , if the cabin goes to a single at sailing time then the single fare applies and the difference will be charged or you don't get to sail. :)

Not true , if the cabin goes to a single at sailing time then the single fare applies and the difference will be charged or you don't get to sail. :)

However, there is no difference to be charged, since the cabin has been paid in full as a double. If they are in a penalty phase and the person not going was asking for a partial refund, that would be another story.

Our friend did end up showing up at the pier for a cruise that his companion could not make and all was fine. He was not charged more, and they did not even attempt to. The cabin has been paid in full for 2 people... they shouldn't care if the 2nd person shows up since they are coming out ahead in the deal by having the cabin fully paid as a double.

The cabin has been paid in full for two people and everyone knows there is no refund possible. However, it doesn't seem fair that if you've paid for a double cabin in full--and don't expect a refund of any kind--how could Princess feel justified in asking for even more money under the guise of "now it's a single so we want a suppliment?"

I read on a 2005 cc thread that one or two people had gone on board without their cabin companion and not been charged the suppliment fee. But our TA insists that's what Princess will do. At this point our sick friend is probably going to drag himself to Tahiti so that his wife won't have to pay/lose even more for this trip.

Obviously this is a "gray" area of policy that I wish we'd all known about before final payment. I think anyone who doesn't purchase travel insurance should be specifically warned about this.

--Kathy

P.s. many times if you book your air privately you can change dates and/or times and only pay a change fee (not lose out entirely.)

This question has always perplexed me as I have read various posts each way. When one has insurance, most policies cover this situation.

I would be tempted to do a 3 way call with the agent and Princess. This way, you will know exactly what Princess is saying.

I'm a TA, had that happen with a guest/friend. I had to convince the cruise lines not to charge her the single supplement. Took threats from someone bigger to me before they agreed enough was enough ... in her case, we were dealing with Carnival, but the same deal applies to every cruise line!

A few years ago, this happened to a couple of friends of mine who booked a cabin as a double occupancy. Since both had paid in full when one had to cancel at the last minute, the other was not liable to pay the single supplement at all. Friend had a great cruise and enjoyed the cabin all to herself and never had to pay another penny for the single occupancy.

The cabin has been paid in full for two people and everyone knows there is no refund possible. However, it doesn't seem fair that if you've paid for a double cabin in full--and don't expect a refund of any kind--how could Princess feel justified in asking for even more money under the guise of "now it's a single so we want a suppliment?"

I read on a 2005 cc thread that one or two people had gone on board without their cabin companion and not been charged the suppliment fee. But our TA insists that's what Princess will do. At this point our sick friend is probably going to drag himself to Tahiti so that his wife won't have to pay/lose even more for this trip.

Obviously this is a "gray" area of policy that I wish we'd all known about before final payment. I think anyone who doesn't purchase travel insurance should be specifically warned about this.

--Kathy

P.s. many times if you book your air privately you can change dates and/or times and only pay a change fee (not lose out entirely.)

Whether you book your air through Princess or directly, the carrier is who determines the policy for changes and fees. Princess can add on to the fees, but ultimately it is the airline who decides. Continental is notorious for not allowing changes, they make you cancel, charge a cancellation fee, and then you get a credit which must be used in a year. If they really want to bust your chops, they can make you pay a change fee for leaving a letter off of your name. All depends on the airline.

What it comes down to is that your friend who can't go will lose out on the amount they paid for their cruise. Princess will not refund the money so insurance was their only recourse. That's why people get insurance and it would be a slap against all those who do take out insurance. You always have the option for insurance so it was your friend's choice not to take it. That's the gamble.

I'm pretty sure, but as others have said to check, that if the cabin is paid in full with both parties paying, the person who shows up won't have to pay a single supplement because technically, there are two people in the cabin. The only difference is that there's no 2nd person staying in the cabin. It doesn't seem right for Princess to "double-dip," i.e., get their money and ask for the same payment (for the 2nd person) twice. I don't think it's legal to charge twice for the same product.

I'm pretty sure, but as others have said to check, that if the cabin is paid in full with both parties paying, the person who shows up won't have to pay a single supplement because technically, there are two people in the cabin. The only difference is that there's no 2nd person staying in the cabin. It doesn't seem right for Princess to "double-dip," i.e., get their money and ask for the same payment (for the 2nd person) twice. I don't think it's legal to charge twice for the same product.

Oh, but they do try to do that. I almost forgot to tell you though, some insurance policies provide that coverage to you, to protect your cruise investment in the event your roommate cancels during the cancellation period. The cancelling roommate won't get their vacation money back if they didn't take out insurance, but the insurance will take care of any cruise line charges you incur due to that person's cancellation. If you need that kind of coverage, you'll want to make sure the policy you choose offers it, because I don't think it's standard to all policies yet.

Hi,

--Kathy

1st off, i think you need a better TA. you didn't say how close you are to sailing, but i have to assume you are close. the party cancelling won't get any money back.

my advice for you would be for you to show up and say NOTHING about the other person not making it. people miss ships all the time. i don't see princess charging you a supplement for a berth that has already been paid for in full.

--Kathy

Princess air to Tahiti is often the least expensive route to go.

While I don't have direct experience with this, I had researched it when looking to go to Tahiti. The airline (Air Tahiti Nui) is not the easiest airline to work with. They will take FF miles from other airlines but will not let you transfer your accumulated miles to any line. Even if you could get a voucher for another airline ticket, it would probably be almost useless until flying to Tahiti within a year. With Princess not having a ship FT in Tahiti in the future, this (a voucher) may have proven worthless.

I think the moral of the story is "buy travel insurance".

What would keep people who intended to travel as a single from booking for two even though the second person had no intention of showing up? The single would still have to pay for two people, but not the single supplement.

??? ??? The single supplement is at most a full fare but sometimes only 50% of a full fare so what would be the benefit to booking for two??

What would keep people who intended to travel as a single from booking for two even though the second person had no intention of showing up? The single would still have to pay for two people, but not the single supplement.

That is exactly why Princess address's this problem by charging a single supp at the time of sailing regardless of whether the fare was paid in full or whether 2 people were in the cabin at first or not. :)

Pam as I stated above, Princess does this to stop the abuse of people that try to get around the single price by booking 2 even though the second never had any intention of sailing. :)

Pam as I stated above, Princess does this to stop the abuse of people that try to get around the single price by booking 2 even though the second never had any intention of sailing.
I don't follow this thinking...if a person intended to travel solo, but paid for two full people, that is MORE than what it would cost to pay the single supplement. By at least the amount of the fees/taxes for one passenger. So why is this 'abuse' and why would people even do it?

I think (just my understanding of the situation) that the OP's TA either mis-spoke or OP did not fully understand. If the 2nd pax cancels and their fare is 100% non-refundable, then the remaining pax, while technically a single, usually pays no additional single supplement. The cruiselines don't have to do this, but Princess' past operating practices shows they handle this situation this way. (River cruise companies excepted, and yes, it could change if their policies change).

However, if a pax cancels more than 14 days before the cruise, they are entitled to a portion of their fare as a refund, so it is not a 100% non-refundable situation. And that is when the remaining pax has to cough up the extra money (generally by the same amount as was refunded to the cancelling pax)

OP was within the 14 day 100% penalty range, so there should be no additional charge to the remaining pax. At least that is how Princess has handled it for many years.

Archived