What's happening during Ryndam drydock?

garydm

If I recall correctly, the ship is in drydock at this time. Is anyone aware of what is being done, any enhancements, changes in wireless coverage, etc.? Thanks.

Gary

Ryndam already has her Explorations Cafe and other SOE improvements. What typically happens in dry dock is the following:

1. Clean and renovate all the sun loungers.

2. Deep-clean cabins and public areas.

3. Empty, clean, and re-stock all the minibars.

4. Shampoo all the carpets.

5. Replace worn carpets.

6. Touch up interior paint.

7. Re-paint exterior.

8. Repair the thousands of little things broken in normal operation.

9. Repaint / re-tile Galley floors.

10. Renovate / replace Galley equipment.

11. Install new cables and pipes for new equipment.

12. Clean up all the mess made by the contractors onboard.

13. Feed and care for the 100s or 1000s of contractors living onboard during the dry dock.

14. Wrap every interior area in plastic to avoid damage from contractors.

15. Repair, clean, upgrade crew areas.

16. Stand fire watch.

17. Carry garbage and debris off the ship every hour.

18. Clean and inventory all items in hundreds of storage lockers.

19. Clean, repaint, and repair swimming pools and jacuzzis.

20. Renovate teak decks.

Thanks John. Really felt better to learn they would track down every one of those outdated soda cans in the minibar!

I seem to have read somewhere about expansion of wireless internet service on some ships and was curious if we will have in cabin access when on Ryndam in November.

Gary

:rolleyes:

Thanks John. Really felt better to learn they would track down every one of those outdated soda cans in the minibar!

I seem to have read somewhere about expansion of wireless internet service on some ships and was curious if we will have in cabin access when on Ryndam in November.

Gary

That's a good question, Gary! We just got off Rotterdam and she had WiFi "spots" in, of course, the Explorations Cafe but also in the Explorers Lounge and around the Atrium. Not in the cabins yet though, but I bet ya that's coming, at a cost of course!

Yup those cans will be rotated so certain individuals with too much time on, and video cameras in, their hands don't go running to the Health Dept.:rolleyes:

Have a great time on Ryndam in Nov!

Being a drydock and not just a wetdock, the ship will be all the way out of the water. They will take that opportunity to do a full inspection of her underside, completely paint her bottom, inspect/repair/replace/upgrade any elements of her diesel electric propulsion system that need to be addressed, totally flush the ship's sewage system and potable water system (which has recently been upgraded in-service), make upgrades/repairs to her Air Conditioning System, replace/upgrade the ship's operational computer systems, communications equipment, navigational equipment, etc.

I do believe that the ship will be receiving the in-cabin hotspots, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

This is an interesting thread. Good to know this is all happening right before I get on the ship on Oct.7th. Thank you to all posters.

Also, your embarkation should be quicker if you are the first cruise after drydock. We sailed the Maasdam in 2006 right after drydock. Since no passengers were disembarking, we got on the ship more quickly. We could go immediately to our cabins and then to lunch.

We don't board the Ryndam until 10/31, so keep it nice for us.

Also, your embarkation should be quicker if you are the first cruise after drydock. We sailed the Maasdam in 2006 right after drydock. Since no passengers were disembarking, we got on the ship more quickly. We could go immediately to our cabins and then to lunch.

We don't board the Ryndam until 10/31, so keep it nice for us.

Good to know about the quicker embarkation. It's going to be a quick flight from Calgary to Vancouver so this is going to be a pain free cruise (touch wood).

I'll try to leave her in one piece for your cruise.:D

If I recall correctly, the ship is in drydock at this time. Is anyone aware of what is being done, any enhancements, changes in wireless coverage, etc.? Thanks.

Gary

All ships have to be inspected every 2-4 yr , to maintain their

Lloyd's of London certificate. They also do any other work that

needs to be done.

Does anyone know where they usually go into dry dock?

All ships have to be inspected every 2-4 yr , to maintain their

Lloyd's of London certificate. They also do any other work that

needs to be done.

Does anyone know where they usually go into dry dock?

HAL has also used the Bahamas for dry-dock

Archived