Open seating being considered by RCCL???

hayesktrm

I hope it fails also. It's not arogant of me just how I feel. Read the Princess board, most of them don't like it. If it's so great why is NCL the cheapest cruise line?
I don't think I'm arrogant also for hoping it fails. We noticed a big decrease in service on Princess when we sailed Golden Princess in 2002 and we were in traditional -- chalk it up to pre-paid tips which RCI is NOT extending to traditional folks during the trial. Interesting point about NCL being cheapest cruise line -- somewhere on the board, I read that their parent company may be selling them off but have not checked it out to see if that rumor is valid. I really hate NCL's commercial.

I hope it fails. We enjoy being served by the same people they get to know your likes and dislikes. If it where me all dinners would be smart casual or formal.

Have you been on a cruise lately? Smart casual is no more on RCCL. Having said that, I didn't see anyone dressed who would offend most people, but to be honest, I really wasn't looking that carefully. There were some jeans.

I hope it fails also. It's not arogant of me just how I feel. Read the Princess board, most of them don't like it. If it's so great why is NCL the cheapest cruise line?

At your suggestion I did. Here is the link where people who have tried it commented. Interesting!!! I'm not seeing most.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=611580

Why do you people hope it fails? Kind of arrogant of you since there are quite a few people who would like to see it work. They would not be testing it if statistics didn't say that a good number of their customers wanted to see it. It's not like they will do away with your traditional dining. You will still have that option, and only a small portion of the dining room (1/3rd) will be used for open dining. It's about making everyone happy. Not just you.

We agree Fitz!! People do comment about empty seats and I know ours go empty every night because we don't like to eat at a set time nor do we like to eat with strangers.

I don't see anything wrong with offering something for everyone. Choice can be good :D

###

We agree Fitz!! People do comment about empty seats and I know ours go empty every night because we don't like to eat at a set time nor do we like to eat with strangers.

I don't see anything wrong with offering something for everyone. Choice can be good :D

###

I agree 100%. I tried Freestyle back in July on NCL and the level of service was just as good as I have received on RCI. Never a wait and no problems in making reservations for the specialty dining rooms. As stated in one of the other posts, RCI is only implementing what people are asking for. If it wasn't so popular I doubt that a traditional cruise line like HAL would have adopted this new policy. Folks, it called having a choice.

I think sooner or later every cruise line is going to offer open seating, which will be fine if they still maintain assigned dining for passengers that still want it.

It is very easy to do on RCCL with theri three tiered dining rooms - all they need to do is keep one floor for anytime dining and the other two for assigned.

I love Anytime Dining and wish every cruise line offered it. I absolutely hate being told I must be hungry and eat at a certain time.

Well get ready for the change......I doubt it will fail....many people like this concept. Mostly I am a traditionalist and like having the same waiter and tablemates every night but on a rare occasion I might change my mind at the last minute.,

The proble I see is that Princess does not want you to choose traditional and than go over to the anytime on a whim......supposed to be all or nothing.

The Maitre D said the big problem with anytime dining is the waiters are serving everything at differant times instead of all the appetizers at one time and main courses etc.....this is what lessons their efficiency.

Becasue everyone is in a differant course they also don't do the singing and dancing etc ....I enjoy that.

These changes usually come about because passengers have requested them.

One of the things that I really loved (corny) about traditional dining is when the wait staff comes and does their singing and dancing and we would cheer for our waiter.

On our NCL cruise, we had to wait almost always to get a table. If you can't dine at a certain time because of crowds, then is it really "freestyle?" Also, we only were able to reserve one specialty restaurant the whole week we were on board because apparently we didn't do it fast enough each day. One of the worst things was finding tables in the buffet on NCL (but, it was probably because the buffet was so good).

You asked if it is really Freestyle if you can't dine at a certain time. My answer to that is "most certainly, it is Freestyle". The busy time to dine is between 7:00pm and 8:30pm. DH and I never waited for a table if we dined before 7:00 or after 8:30. Depending on what was scheduled for the evening or what we did during the day, we have a choice of dining early OR late. We also have a choice of several restaurants to choose from. Nothing better.

One of the things that I really loved (corny) about traditional dining is when the wait staff comes and does their singing and dancing and we would cheer for our waiter.

On our NCL cruise, we had to wait almost always to get a table. If you can't dine at a certain time because of crowds, then is it really "freestyle?" Also, we only were able to reserve one specialty restaurant the whole week we were on board because apparently we didn't do it fast enough each day. One of the worst things was finding tables in the buffet on NCL (but, it was probably because the buffet was so good).

You mentioned the buffet being "so good". Were you on NCL's Pearl??? OMG, the best buffet on any cruise line is on NCL Pearl. Hopefully other cruise lines will follow suit and have the same type of buffet with hot food being prepared by chefs at most stations.

Add me to the list of those who hope it fails. I like the traditional dining experience, and having an open seating option affects the entire atmosphere aboard the ship which negatively impacts me even if I have chosen traditional seating.

Could you explain how open seating affects the entire atmosphere of the ship?

The reason that NCL'ssystem works is because each dining venue is designed for small parties of 2-4 mainly.

of course RCI will fail if they continue with round robin seating using large tables of 8-12.

frankly i don't care one way or another.

I am not a fan of spending 2 hours eating meals.

there are other things to do on the ship.

At your suggestion I did. Here is the link where people who have tried it commented. Interesting!!! I'm not seeing most.

I quickly read through about the first ten posts. Every single one of them is a positive review for anytime dining. Sounds to me like it is a real winner. I have a feeling RCI wants to please everyone and will offer this to their customers.

Could you explain how open seating affects the entire atmosphere of the ship?

The reason that NCL'ssystem works is because each dining venue is designed for small parties of 2-4 mainly.

of course RCI will fail if they continue with round robin seating using large tables of 8-12.

frankly i don't care one way or another.

I am not a fan of spending 2 hours eating meals.

there are other things to do on the ship.

I hadn't thought about the fact that most of RCI's tables are for 8 to 10 people. NCL's tables are smaller, 2 and 4 tops. That is a big difference. I would hope RCI doesn't continue to use the large tables for dinner. At lunch open seating, you are filed into the dining room and seated at a large table. You then wait until the table fills us so the wait staff can take orders and begin the lunch service. I would NOT want that type of service for anytime dining at dinner. NCL does it right, smaller tables. You want a table for two and you are seated at a table for two. No wait to start service and you do not eat with strangers. You can eat with strangers if you want to however.

I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for Freestyle dining but there is nothing better. I love the "choice" aspect of it. I don't mind the NCL commercials either.

I don't think I'm arrogant also for hoping it fails. We noticed a big decrease in service on Princess when we sailed Golden Princess in 2002 and we were in traditional -- chalk it up to pre-paid tips which RCI is NOT extending to traditional folks during the trial. Interesting point about NCL being cheapest cruise line -- somewhere on the board, I read that their parent company may be selling them off but have not checked it out to see if that rumor is valid. I really hate NCL's commercial.

NCL is not always the least expensive cruise line. I have seen prices for some of their sailing that were much more than RCI or Princess. It really depends on the itinerary.

Parent company Star Cruise Lines just had a major investment of 1 billion dollars by Apollo Management. They are now 50% owners of NCL and many think that they will end up as sole owners down the road. Soon NCL will have the youngest fleet of any cruise line. I tried NCL a couple of months back. I would cruise with them again. Service matched that of RCI. Crew was just as friendly and helpful and yes the gratuties are pre paid.

Well, I have had friends that have sailed on personal choice/anytime/freestyle dining and they were okay with it as long as they were part of a large group/family that like to eat together every night. What was commented most was that service was lacking...not just the personal touch.

I hate the NCL commercials since I don't feel regimented about anything except what time my dinner is going to be. If I don't want to do that, I can still go to the Windjammer or order Room Service. I prefer late dining so I guess I'm not in the same shape as those who have specific reasons for needing early seating.

We shall see, but I don't want to lose the personalized touch I get with RCI. My waiters in the past have always gone above and beyond when I see them in the morning at the Windjammer or the Dining Room. You can't get that with anytime eating.

Jen

I don't understand where people come off thinking that because i want to eat at my own time, i must be relegated to the lower choice/"service" of the wind jammer.

Also i am amazed at the special esteem the waite staff is given.

They are waiters. they should be invisible.

bring the food and move out of the way. i'm not on the cruise to make buddies with the waiter!

Talking about freestyle versus traditional dining is like talking about religion and politics, we're all going to disagree. We just have to accept that some people love traditional and hate freestyle and vice versus. Know one's right or wrong.

Why do you people hope it fails? Kind of arrogant of you since there are quite a few people who would like to see it work. They would not be testing it if statistics didn't say that a good number of their customers wanted to see it. It's not like they will do away with your traditional dining. You will still have that option, and only a small portion of the dining room (1/3rd) will be used for open dining. It's about making everyone happy. Not just you.

I completely agree. If it is successful, then both PC and traditional can have their way.

Also i am amazed at the special esteem the waite staff is given.

They are waiters. they should be invisible.

bring the food and move out of the way. i'm not on the cruise to make buddies with the waiter!

Some of my best cruise memories are of our waiters! Sounds like you've not had some of the great waiters I've had. So sorry! IMHO waiters are some of the great highlights of a cruise. It's wonderful having one who remembers my likes and dislikes, entertains me during a meal, forming lasting friendships. If you are fortunateto encounter Orhan Yenice, who was on the Mariner last year, perhaps your opinion of "waite staff" will change.

Wow, thanks Orville, I was starting to think I was the only one that cruised with Princess and loved the luxury of going to dinner anytime we felt like it. After reading your link I realized I should have known some people exaggerate just because they, theirselves don't like something. I just really fail to see why some people are hoping it fails, why, how does it hurt them? Wanting something to fail is so childish.

IMHO we get a distorted view of the cruising public from message boards like Cruise Critic, when you consider a very small portion of the cruising public actually post on these boards. If "most" of the Princess board doesn't like Anytime Dining, then they must be less than 1% of the people we've encountered on the many Princess cruises we've been on who seem very happy with it. My aunt and uncle are travel agents and they say that most of the people who book Princess cruises with them actually request Anytime Dining - both new cruisers and repeats.

I agree with the others who say it's all about choice. We personally prefer Anytime Dining when that option is offered, but we certainly don't get our knickers in a twist if it's not an option! Changes are in the wind with all the cruise lines, and RCI is next on the list to give dining choices a try. I'm sure there will be many future cruisers who like personal choice on Princess, NCL, and HAL, and will be excited to see they can add RCI to their cruise options.:)

We (Diamond C&A members, but we do sometimes sail w/other lines) sailed NCL's Pearl in March (for the extra cruise days and a few other new features on her). We LIKE traditional dining and figured we would not like freestyle. While we didn't HATE freestyle (there were a few advantages), we still prefer traditional. We did run into the problems that you would expect -esp. during the popular spring break season, when most ships sail full. Fortunately, we had a great group for the meet & greet we made up from these boards, and this helped us meet others. It wasn't common in the smaller restaurants (and they were small except for one of the traditional D.R.s) to be asked if you would like to dine w/others. However, you could easily do this for the two traditional D.R.s. There were certain restaurants that were more popular (the free Italian one often had a long wait). We were lucky, in that when we sailed, they had only recently changed the way you could make a reservation. Before we sailed, people were coming on board the first day, reading the menus, and booking restaurants for the entire week. So others, who may not have gotten that tip off this board, didn't know and were finding NO space available in the more popular restaurants they may have preferred. NCL changed this. What resulted was that IF you called a reservations around 8 a.m., you could usually get a reservation for that night. If you waited til, say, 9:30 a.m., you were prob. out of luck for a couple of the free ones. We did enjoy choosing our time, more or less, a couple of nights. And it was "different" in that one night we enjoyed dining in the Oriental restaurant (for a fee) as a change. But that is similar to alternative restaurants on any ship. Some people really, really liked this style of dining and I will say that there was variety. It was not as bad for us (late seating types) as for people who tended to want to eat right at 7 or 7:30 p.m. (the usual "shank of the evening" for land restaurants). Also, on a couple of days. we ended up running into some of our meet & greet cc board friends and wanted to dine w/them that night. Although we had reservations, they didn't. Fortunately, NCL had a super hotel mgr. on board (yes, officers attended our meeting!) who insisted at our meeting that we should call his extention w/if we needed anything. When I could not get our friends included in our reservation, I did it, and it worked! . . .The wait times on the signs around the ship were never correct. Sometimes they showed a dining venue as closed when it was open, etc. It's hard to compare Princess' anytime dining w/NCL's. They are run completelyi different. There are pluses and minuses in regard to most changes like this. I have a feeling that anytime dining, w/all it's drawbacks, is probably the wave of the future, although I hope not! If you were to read NCL's boards, you'd no doubt see that a lot of people are for it. But I'm not one of them.

Archived