Jewelry Buying Question.

Jeepenfun

Figured I'd ask this in the Princess section since thats the cruise my Parents will be going on later this month.

Parents are going on a 10 day cruise on the Emerald princess to eastern and southern caribbean. I know jewelry & jem stones is a lot cheaper in the caribbean then in the US. I'd like to hand my mom some money to find me a Diamond Engagement ring at one of the ports of call along the way. I'm wondering which of the ports would be the best place to find the best deal for a solitare diamond ring. Also are the diamonds sold in the shops in the caribbean ports of a decent quality and clearity?

The ports they will visit are;

St. Thomas

Dominica

Grenada

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles

Aruba

Princess Cay, Bahamas

Also the duty free gift shops aboard the ship.

Thanks guys.

I "upgrade" my wife's ring while in St Thomas 3 years ago and was very satisfied with the stone and the price. I haven't had it appraised and not certain that I want to, but she and I were both very happy with the stone and the sales person. They took the time we needed and weren't pushy and definitely seemed to know what they were doing, giving us a loupe to look at the diamond telling and us what to look for. They even remounted her old stone on to a necklace for us. It was definitely a better deal than what I could get in the states.

This topic comes up regularly and licensed gemologists (and consumer stories) show that retail jewelry markups being what they are, one MIGHT do better buying in the Caribbean or one MIGHT get fleeced with no way to return, report, or resolve (in Court or elsewhere) a really bad deal.

There is no customs duty on jewelry (that's the sales point) but duty is not that much of the price component. Gem stones aren't native to the islands. If I were you, I'd start asking people with experience buying higher end jewelry in your community whom they patronize in your community and start building a relationship with this purchase.

Cartagena Colombia is a good place to buy emeralds otherwise; they're native to Colombia and the goldsmiths there are talented and artistic.

Of the islands you mention, St. Thomas is the shopping mecca and has a number of reasonably high quality high volume jewelers (Cardow etc.)

My vote goes to Cardow hands down. I did not purchase a diamond ring but did buy diamond earrings and matching pendant at what I thought was a reasonable price, but the best thing is I've never seen anything so unique and doesn't compare in quality to what I've found in jewellery stores in Canada or the US.

This topic comes up regularly and licensed gemologists (and consumer stories) show that retail jewelry markups being what they are, one MIGHT do better buying in the Caribbean or one MIGHT get fleeced with no way to return, report, or resolve (in Court or elsewhere) a really bad deal.

There is no customs duty on jewelry (that's the sales point) but duty is not that much of the price component. Gem stones aren't native to the islands. If I were you, I'd start asking people with experience buying higher end jewelry in your community whom they patronize in your community and start building a relationship with this purchase.

Cartagena Colombia is a good place to buy emeralds otherwise; they're native to Colombia and the goldsmiths there are talented and artistic.

Of the islands you mention, St. Thomas is the shopping mecca and has a number of reasonably high quality high volume jewelers (Cardow etc.)

The stores in St. Thomas are reasonable and have decent enough quality, but not what I would recommend for something as important as an engagement diamond. I would recommend that you stick with a store in the US-and while St. Thomas is a US territory, it is still far away if there should be a problem with a loose stone or faulty setting. The best US selection and price on diamonds are found in New York (better pricing than STT, too). Tucson in February is a close second.

From Denver you can fly RT to NYC for less than $300--well worth it in my mind for the savings. (And have your diamond shipped back to you so that you save the sales tax). Here are a couple of useful articles for you:

http://www.pricescope.com/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/4447/shopping_in_new_yorks_diamond_district.html

http://www.ultimate-engagement-ring-guide.com/popularization-of-engagement-rings.html

See and I trust my moms diamond shopping abilities. She knows what to look for in diamonds and what the differences are in the clearity, quality and such looking though a loupe. she's very well versed in the color grade in that "D" is the highest grade color and down towards "M" is were the diamond has that yellow taint to it. Also knowing that on the clearity scale "F" & "IF" is pretty much flawless down to "I1" & "I2" have visible blemishes. She's taught me a lot lately about shopping diamonds since me and my fiancee have gotten engaged. So I trust her completely to find a quality diamond.

My parents have been to St. Thomas a few times also and know the place pretty well.

My vote goes to Cardow hands down. I did not purchase a diamond ring but did buy diamond earrings and matching pendant at what I thought was a reasonable price, but the best thing is I've never seen anything so unique and doesn't compare in quality to what I've found in jewellery stores in Canada or the US.

I've bought at Cardow; it's a good store. They've got the stones catagorized properly and they're price competitive. The poster who suggests a weekend in NYC knows the market. St. Thomas is the only island of those listed that I'd recommend though.

I've got to believe the Denver's got a store or two worth considering. Didn't they mine gold in Colorado once? ;)

There are interesting places to be found around. In St. Petersburg FL - Gilberts downtown is always worth a look. They specialize in estate stuff. They tend to carry really cool stuff from the first half of the last century... They don't make it like that anymore. :)

The stores in St. Thomas are reasonable and have decent enough quality, but not what I would recommend for something as important as an engagement diamond. I would recommend that you stick with a store in the US-and while St. Thomas is a US territory, it is still far away if there should be a problem with a loose stone or faulty setting. The best US selection and price on diamonds are found in New York (better pricing than STT, too). Tucson in February is a close second.

From Denver you can fly RT to NYC for less than $300--well worth it in my mind for the savings. (And have your diamond shipped back to you so that you save the sales tax). Here are a couple of useful articles for you:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/4447/shopping_in_new_yorks_diamond_district.html

http://www.ultimate-engagement-ring-guide.com/popularization-of-engagement-rings.html

I have to agree with this poster...hands down! My husband buys all my diamond jewelry in NYC. We were just in St. Thomas in August and for the heck of it, decided to see what they could do for us in the way of an upgrade on my diamond engagement ring. They were WAY, WAY, WAY out of line with what we are used to getting in NY. I have a 4 carat anniversary band that we purchased in NYC, got it appraised independently and it appraised for not quite 4 times what we paid. We saw a similar one in St. Thomas that we'd never be able to touch, and yes the stones were of comparable cut, clarity and color, in fact mine was better. So I guess we'll have to take a day trip to NYC soon!

Dont' tell my husband that!

My understanding is, for returning US citizens, Duty must be paid on jewelry if you go over the limit. Loose stones are exempt from Duty. My wife's favorite in St Thomas is Cardow - good quality and reasonable prices.

dickmac in lockport ny

NO!!!!! Take your lady to a local jeweler who has been in business for many years, and will be there for you in the future!! Your lady may have been dreaming of a certain style or cut, and you need her input. (I was working for a large national jewelry corp. in 1976, when DH proposed. He had something specific in mind, so my boss ordered it for him wholesale.) I have been to St. Thomas, and they have some very nice jewelry, but THIS purchase is too important to trust to someone else. The quality of diamonds sold in St. Thomas is usually quite low. I laughed when I saw the stones in Diamonds International. One was discretely labeled "I-H", which was correct: an very imperfect stone with mediocre color, never mind the sloppy cut. I could see the carbon specks in those stones from four feet away!! Cheap-of course!!! You get what you pay for (unless you work in the business). If you want a big, cheap, low quality stone, St. Thomas just might suit. I personally recommend getting something more modest at home. As for appraisals - Hah! Those $$$ values are not what the stones are worth, but are for insurance purposes. Would I trade my flawless solitaire for a big, cheap flasher? No way! Good luck!

Couldn't agree with you more. My boyfirend bought me a stunning cushion cut diamond ring ( haven't seen one like this anywhere, ever) from Cardow and a pink sapphire & diamond ring. Even though we received the appraisal at time of purchase, we were curious to see what they would be appraised at back home. To my surprise, both were appraised substantially higher!! Makes me feel good, knowing that the rings are of high quality. Can't wait to return!:D

Having cruised with Princess 23 times, we visit St. Thomas on an average of 3 times a year (5 last year).

We ALWAYS visit Santu at Omni Jewellers. He is at the Omni store at Crown Bay, which is only steps from where Princess docks. We were so glad when they changed from Havensight to Crown Bay.

I usually trade in one or two pieces and get new diamonds. I have bought ear rings, necklace, various rings. When I get back to Canada, the first thing I do is have the jewellery appraised. (That way, I would be able to confront him when we return a few weeks later).

I can honesly say that I have never, ever had a bad deal. All of my appraisals have been almost twice what I paid (and some were more).

This year, I want to get a new engagement ring/wedding band. I will e-mail him in advance to tell him generally what I am interested in, and he will be sure to have a variety of the type of rings I want.

Hope this helps.

Gail

I also agree with the above poster. 47th Street is called the "Diamond District" for a very good reason. All of my jewelry comes from there, and over all the years I have owned them, never once did I even have a loose stone! Even with air, you will still do better and have accountability in case something goes wrong.

We ALWAYS visit Santu at Omni Jewellers. He is at the Omni store at Crown Bay, which is only steps from where Princess docks. We were so glad when they changed from Havensight to Crown Bay.

Another vote of confidence in Omni. We have shopped at both locations on two trips, and gotten some very nice and unique stuff. Mostly gold work and minor league diamonds, no engagement stuff (married 21 years, neither of us wears a ring :eek:). Make sure you know where the downtown store is, it's on a side alley, not the easiest to find. The one at HeavenForbid, er, Crown Bay, is easier.

One exception would be Emeralds - we saw some pretty stunning stuff in Aruba, but the prices were beyond expensive. But, as emeralds go, they were amazing, and I'm not into the stuff at all.

Appraisals are absolutley meaningless, except SOMETIMES for insurance purposes. Markup range up to 300 percent, but you can do much better than that. The true value of a piece of jewelry is the price at which you could actually sell it for. Some time ago, one of the largest department stores in North America was fined in Canada for selling diamond rings at what they advertised as 50 percent of their normal retail selling price....or should I say selling diamond rings at retail and providing appraisals for double the value.

Archived